Are “Plugged” lever guns legal in your state’s straight wall season?

Arkansas is looking at allowing straight wall cartridges during muzzleloader season. I hate the idea, since we have zero restrictions on modern gun season, but if the rules change I don’t plan on getting left in the dust. I have a Marlin 1895 XLR in 45/70 that doesn’t get much love these days, but there’s a chance they make this season single shot only (I say “a chance” because the language of the reg change hasn’t been made public yet).

For those of y’all who hunt in states that allow straight wall cartridges during muzzleloader season, are lever guns allowed? If it’s single-shot only, are you allowed to “plug” the magazine like we do with shotguns to convert it into a single shot?

Also, have any of y’all noticed an increase in hunting pressure once straight walled cartridges are allowed?

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about the single shot restriction, but in Ohio we are allowed 3 shots in the rifle during our gun season. There is no requirement to plug lever guns, just follow the rules.

Rich M

WKR
You'll need to check with the local GW about plugging the lever gun and how he wants to see it done.

Worst case, buy a single shot straight wall cartridge of your choice.

OP
Ozarkansas
Are all action types allowed there? Like, you can hunt with a .350 Legend AR as long as there’s only 3 rounds in it?

And is that season part of the same season as your modern gun or is it a separate season?

Rich M

WKR
Are all action types allowed there? Like, you can hunt with a .350 Legend AR as long as there’s only 3 rounds in it?

And is that season part of the same season as your modern gun or is it a separate season?
If you are restricted to single shot, they make mags that make ARs and bolts single shots.

I'm in FL and we don't have that stuff to worry about. More hunters than opportunities, so changes aren't likely to come. I do have a bolt 350 Legend and single shot 357 mag - both are 200 yard guns. Legend is more like a 300 yard gun if you reload and use soft bullets.

I would wait for the regulations to be released and if necessary, buy a single shot 350 Legend or 400 Legend or whatever you like and put a nice BDC scope on it, learn the gun out to 250-300 yards and there ya go.

I hunt in Ohio every year. Which is a straightwall state. There is no regulation for a plug to limit the firearm to 3 rounds. But you are only allowed to load 3 rounds including the chamber in your firearm. Seems like I remember in the past we did have to have a plug in your shotgun but I believe they did away with that regulation a long time ago. Regulations vary from state to state so read your states regulations.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider

yes you can use the AR platform. When the weather is crap i bring out my 450 bushmaster i have built in and AR. Just only allowed three rounds. So one chambered. 2 in the magazine.

rayporter

WKR
i live on Crowleys ridge, which is a shot gun or MZ zone. with lots of shot gun experience in ohio, i can survive if they dont add a straight wall caliber.

but if they just add it for the shot gun zones i think that it ok. adding it to a muzzle loader season is wrong.

OP
Ozarkansas
If you are restricted to single shot, they make mags that make ARs and bolts single shots.

I'm in FL and we don't have that stuff to worry about. More hunters than opportunities, so changes aren't likely to come. I do have a bolt 350 Legend and single shot 357 mag - both are 200 yard guns. Legend is more like a 300 yard gun if you reload and use soft bullets.

I would wait for the regulations to be released and if necessary, buy a single shot 350 Legend or 400 Legend or whatever you like and put a nice BDC scope on it, learn the gun out to 250-300 yards and there ya go.
They just did the first reading of the proposed regulation, and the only stipulation on action type is that semi-autos aren’t allowed. So I guess it’s irrelevant since my 45/70 will work as-is

Bluefish

WKR
For those of y’all who hunt in states that allow straight wall cartridges during muzzleloader season, are lever guns allowed? If it’s single-shot only, are you allowed to “plug” the magazine like we do with shotguns to convert it into a single shot?

Also, have any of y’all noticed an increase in hunting pressure once straight walled cartridges are allowed?
for Iowa, early muzzle is only muzzle loaders. Late muzzle is either muzzle loader or pistol meeting rifle criteria (35 cal or larger). Not sure I have witnessed increased pressure due to allowing pistols, but shotguns have quickly been replaced with rifles meeting the new 35 cal or larger. I use a pistol for late muzzle for two reasons, easier to clean and easier to use a silencer.

Take seems pretty stable at 1/4 of population per year based on the data I have been able to find. Roughly 100k take, population 400k.