Straight wall vs slug gun vs inline muzzleloader poll

BigK421

FNG
Hey guys, I'll most likely be moving to Ohio later this year from PA. If you were moving to a straight wall cartridge state, would you buy a straight wall caliber, use a 12 gauge slug gun (rifled or sabot slugs) or an inline muzzleloader?

Ohio's rifle season is only 1 week long and my inline CVA muzzleloaders are very accurate. I do have that Mossberg 500 that I could set up as well but sabot slugs are $$$$$. I've shot decent groups at 50 yards with a cyl bore barrel and rifled slugs but I'm not sure how accurate that would be beyond that.

Bluefish

WKR
Straight wall and then if they do like Iowa use the muzzle loader for a late season doe.

sometimes specific pieces of public land have their own rules, so maybe figure out where you're going to hunt before you buy or sell anything. In general, a straightwall is going to be way easier than the other options, and IMO an inline is superior to a generic slug gun. Might have a different opinion if you were thinking about a tarhunt though.

robtattoo

WKR
I'd stick with the inline. It's hardly worth the money & effort for a 1 week season when you already have something that's just as effective.
The .350 Legend is thoroughly uninspiring, in my experience, and there isn't a shot I'd take with it that I wouldn't be totally comfortable taking with my CVA .50.
The only real advantage is quicker follow up shots.

OP
B

BigK421

FNG
Ok, I'm thinking 350 legend due to ammo availability and cost. You can find 350 legend ammo pretty much anywhere right now, even Walmart usually has a few boxes.

OP
B

BigK421

FNG
I'd stick with the inline. It's hardly worth the money & effort for a 1 week season when you already have something that's just as effective.
The .350 Legend is thoroughly uninspiring, in my experience, and there isn't a shot I'd take with it that I wouldn't be totally comfortable taking with my CVA .50.
The only real advantage is quicker follow up shots.
I definitely agree, I've taken deer at 125 yards with my inline and they never took another step.

Both nephews shoot .350s and they're okay. However, since you already own the inline you're not going to notice much if any improvement with terminal peformance. If you have money to burn though, it never hurts to have a backup or options.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I shoot a 350 and muzzleloaders. A shotgun slug is not comparable to either in my opinion. I think you can get a little more distance out of the 350 but I am more old school with muzzleloaders. 150 is a long muzzleloader shot for me. I understand there are people shooting 500 yards with muzzleloaders.

The main benefits of a 350 are quick follow up shots and significantly less recoil. Ammo is cheaper as well. If you have a muzzleloader, are comfortable shooting it and shooting it 200+ yards, and are not concerned with quick follow up shots, I do not see a reason to get a 350.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you want to shoot? What’s your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Straight wall for sure. If nothing else its more fun to shoot for me, I dont particularly enjoy inline ml’s for their own sake. Weather, cleanup, dealing with hot/cold/wet moisture issues, etc is kind of a hassle. If it was a flintlock, that’s “cool”, but really the only reason I ML hunt is to have access to an extra week or two of hunting. Id choose a cartridge gun if it had the same season dates. Im sure others feel differently on the topic.

OP
B

BigK421

FNG
How far do you want to shoot? What’s your budget?

I'm working on a 200 yard load for my CVA, so I would say around 200 yards max, but most shots being closer. Budget probably under 1K for just the gun.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I have all three. They all have roughly a 200 yard max range I would go 450 Bushmaster all the way then buy a muzzleloader for a backup and to use late muzzy season. As much as I like my Omega they are a pain to clean and load . The 450 is a blast to shoot and is super accurate.

If I was going to hunt illinois firearm season again, I would likely just use my muzzleloader. It’s killed a couple buck a there.

Having said that, if I had a single shot straight wall I for sure would have killed a deer that I missed one year. As it turns out it really didn’t matter because I killed the deee the next day, but the fact remains.

I still have 0 idea how I missed that deer. I must have hit a limb.
But if I had another round 5 seconds later I would have for sure killed him.because he pranced right out into the open after I missed….figures lol

hiker270

WKR
A 350 Legend is not an expensive rifle and ammo is readily available. The advantage over the inline is a quick follow up shot. Plus you can never have too many guns!

rootacres

WKR
The inline is plenty but if you want to move onto a low maintenance, lightweight, accurate package go straight walled. The 450 bushmaster in a 16" magazine fed bolt gun with a 1-6/3-9 power scope is a great little package. At the very least I prefer to carry that through the woods more than any inline ML or slug gun Ive ever owned.

Ruger Gunsite Scout (450 bm) w/ 3-9x40 Accupoint for me.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working on a 200 yard load for my CVA, so I would say around 200 yards max, but most shots being closer. Budget probably under 1K for just the gun.

Straight wall. Theres no reason to invest in the type of muzzleloader I would use for only 200 yards.

Rich M

WKR
Have 357 mag rifle, good for 125 yds w hollow points (homeloads) and accurate at 200 yds w pointy bullets. Killed 14 deer so far.

Have 350 Legend and nice caliber. 250-300 yd gun. I reload it also. Killed 2 deer so far.

Have inline ML. Shot it out to 200 last year, needs some tweaking. Got buck at 40 yds - only 1 so far.

In your shoes id get a 350 Legend.

rayporter

WKR
been shooting shotguns in ohio forever. slugs are not always easy to find and are always expensive.
an inline is the cheap way for sure and i am comfortable with one but dont forget there are a lot of drives in buckeye land and you may see deer that wont stop for you to shoot. just saying.

i will never be a fan of the 350 but i do know a couple shooters who are successful with it. even very successful.

personally i use a 45-70 or a 450BM.