Straight wall vs slug gun vs inline muzzleloader poll

SippyCup

FNG
Here in IL we’re going to be able to use a 350 and 450 next season. We have to keep them single shot however. Without having any experience with the straight walls, I much prefer carrying my inline muzzleloader over my 12ga. My T/C has much less recoil and significantly more accurate. Killed a fine doe at 191yards this year with it. If I had the chance to carry a semi or bolt action 350 I would probably take that over the other options.

Bmhunts

FNG
I grew up in Ohio and used a knight disc rifle for deer gun season. I hunted southern Ohio where you can get pretty far shots, I killed a lot of deer with that gun out to 200 yards mostly during drives and still hunting. Today I'd probably take a hard lok at straight walled rifles.

Maverick1

WKR
Inline muzzleloader is accurate enough for my needs. I just don’t enjoy taking it to the range or the cleanup afterwards, a lot more farting around than the other two options.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a smokeless inline- have upgraded a couple times. Have similar limitations in states I hunt (inc ohio) but IF I take a gun, that in-line is it and my safe has a lot of nice rifles… most of which are near new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all three. I have killed deer in Ohio with all three. I much prefer hunting with my bolt action Winchester in 350 legend by a long shot. I shot this buck last year from 185 yards with it and killed a doe in the same spot the next morning. Made a believer out of me as I shoot a 7mm08 and 270 in AL where my primary hunting spot is. IMG_0908.jpegIMG_0905.jpegIMG_3387.jpeg

I live in Illinois, similar regs to you it seems. Since you already have a CVA that you say work well I'd stick with that. When I looked at the ballistics of the 350 legend I didn't see something that would make me want to spend the time/money to get a 350 legend set up opposed to my Savage 220. To me, if you have an inline or a good 20 gauge slug gun I don't see the gain in the straight wall.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I also grew up in a shotgun only area in WI. We used rifled barrels on our 12s and 20s. Both worked great. However, if you can put a scope on your CVA, that's where I might go.

OP
B

BigK421

FNG
Thanks for all of the replies. I've been looking at the new 400 Legend that just came out, ballistic data is slightly better than a 30-30. Definitely something to consider, not sure what other manufacturers are building rifles in 400L yet besides Winchester.

wesfromky

WKR
You can suppress bottleneck just as easily as straight wall.
Unless you live in a state that doesn't allow bottlenecks, like the one in this thread. Easier to suppress then shotgun slugs or muzzleloaders for sure.

Growing up in Iowa through the years I have killed them with the 12 gauge, muzzy, and now straight wall. Last year was the first year I never brought the shotgun even as a backup. I shoot a 444, it has a cult following for a reason. My dad shoots a 350 Leg. and has not needed a follow up shot yet. Personally I would stay away from the 400 legend due to bullet availability. The 360 looks nice, but the low recoil of the 350 has everything going for it. If you like a bit of recoil and want something you can take out west, get a 45-70 or a 444 lever gun and have some fun.

Rock-o

WKR
I don't live in Ohio but keep firearms there. I have had a shotgun and muzzle loader there, but recently bought a rifle chambered for a straight wall cartridge. That's what I'll use.

wesfromky

WKR
Will a 350 Legend work with a 9 mil suppressor? Lots of people have them laying around.
It will work with some 9mm cans. I have a Dead Air Wolfman for my 350, which is 9mm, but it is rated for 350, 556, 300bo with the proper muzzle device.