Straight wall vs slug gun vs inline muzzleloader poll

pk_

WKR
Straight wall.

If you might end up traveling somewhere that is shotgun only and no straight wall, then I would get a 20ga rifled slug gun. 12 ga slug guns are awful to hunt with, especially sloppy triggered pump guns. I shoot a 12ga 870 with a mossberg rifled barrel and scope. It shoots 200 yards fine and has killed a pile of bucks. But it is so bulky, heavy and unbalanced. It doesn’t handle like a rifle at all. At the range with a bench it’s fine, but real life hunting scenarios it can be a real pain.

I have killed the bulk of my deer with an in-line but I would never choose it over a rifle or a rifled slug gun.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Iowan here. The transition from 12ga sabot slugs to 350 legend was great. Tons more accurate, cheaper to shoot and much less recoil.

Straight wall has my vote.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
350 legend ammo is the cheapest. I personally have a 444, 45-70, 350L, 44, and 450bm. I carry the 350 because it’s light and I shoot it more often.

Erict

WKR
More and more states pursuing lead-free ammo. Some statewide, some only on state lands, etc. Some federal lands already there or headed there. Might be worth checking in your state to see if that's where they are headed soon.

Ohio has 9 days available for rifle/shotgun, 13 where muzzleloaders are eligible. I stick with the inline unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, in that case whatever interests you go for it and add some redundancy.

matt91585

FNG
I live in Ohio and purchased a cva cascade 350 legend this year. It’s definitely a game changer and I wish I would have done it earlier.

OP
B

BigK421

FNG
I live in Ohio and purchased a cva cascade 350 legend this year. It’s definitely a game changer and I wish I would have done it earlier.
The CVA cascade rifle has my interest for sure. Sportsman's warehouse has one in 350L and 450BM

matt91585

FNG
I went with the 350 Legend due to the minimal recoil. I use150 grain deer season xp's and they definitely do a great job.

IW17

FNG
quick, suppressed follow up shots when you're allowed to fill multiple tags is a pretty big advantage when you're trying to fill the freezer, even if it is only for a week long season.
Unfortunately in ohio, you can take multiple deer in a single day, but you can't shoot an additional deer until the one before it has been tagged. I personally despise this rule. It's better now that you can tag game in with your phone, but the option of taking a follow up shot on a second animal is basically gone. Unless the particular deer is deaf, blind and dumb. 🙃

Unfortunately in ohio, you can take multiple deer in a single day, but you can't shoot an additional deer until the one before it has been tagged. I personally despise this rule. It's better now that you can tag game in with your phone, but the option of taking a follow up shot on a second animal is basically gone. Unless the particular deer is deaf, blind and dumb. 🙃

that's how it used to be in PA too - but that law was changed a while back. now they just have to be tagged before you move the carcass.

IW17

FNG
that's how it used to be in PA too - but that law was changed a while back. now they just have to be tagged before you move the carcass.
Honestly it should be that way. As long as both animals are properly tagged and you have the appropriate tags, I can't see the harm in it.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I hunted Ohio for years before they allowed straight wall.

We always took our muzzleloaders.

Hell, I even killed 2 bucks on deer drives with my ml....running shots.

But once they changed the regs, we both went straight wall.

Not even a question.....rifle wins every time....straight wall rifle

We both bought Browning blr in 450 marlin mag.

Awesome rifle and round.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Growing up in southern Illinois with the option of smoke pole or slug gun my choice would be something like an old H&R Ultra Slugger (what I shot and have a bias towards) or a savage 220 in 20ga with either hornady sst or remington accutip sabot slugs. The performance and trajectory of 20ga made 12ga fairly obsolete in that role. I finally leant my knight inline to a buddy cause I haven't shot it in probably 10yrs and have zero desire to ever do so again.

No experience with 350 legend and Remington just came out with 360 buckhammer (such a horrible name) but on paper 350 legend looks pretty attractive especially if you had an ar platform and could pickup a 350 legend upper affordably.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a lot of doubles with an old h&r 20ga single shot taking neck shots. Most the time the others just thought it was thunder since the first one dropped without a fuss.

IW17

FNG
Shot a lot of doubles with an old h&r 20ga single shot taking neck shots. Most the time the others just thought it was thunder since the first one dropped without a fuss.
OH it's definitely doable. Just in our state I'd have to fill out my game tag or online game check before I could legally make the second shot. I've done it. Shot a doe a couple years back, then went online, filled out the game check, and shot the yearling that decided to stick around. Just doesn't always happen that way.

yfarm

WKR
Marlin 1895 Trapper 4570, Walmart carries 4570 ammo in my town. Have a NIB 1187 20 ga Special full rifled cantilever, fired once to zero scope If anyone is looking for a slug gun.