Are diesel engines overrated?

Sad day we can’t order a new truck with a stick anymore. That’s another reason I won’t own a new one, I love rowing gears daily driving and for sure while towing.

You would feel differently about automatic transmissions if Dodge could build a transmission that didn't explode before 100K

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like in the other camp, after 15 years of owning deisels im selling my powerstroke and just going to drive my f150, it smoother, warms up quicker, starts better in the cold, is way better on winter roads, my holiday trailer is only 5k so its not needed. And now that deisel is more expensive in canada than gas it deffently doesnt make any sence. as started above thy have their application, and as a heavy duty mechanic i will echo what others have said, working on new detroits i would say 90% of issues ome from the aftertreatment.

Seeing as how many have them for daily driving or towing a small boat that don’t need them i’ll say yes, overrated.
People say this all the time...

My truck is overkill for most of what I do.

But a half ton (or gas F250) wouldn't work nearly as well for some of what I do.

And one truck (and not having to duplicate everything I put on and in a truck) makes way more sense than two.

Math isn't my strong area, but a 58 gallon tank and a range of 787 miles equals 13.56 MPG no?
Yep...i was runing 85-90 on the interstate...if i keep it under 70 I can get 15...60 on 2 lane country roads it will get 17ish if I don't hit a lot of lights..I have the Tremor package on my F250...2" lift, 35s, and 4.30 gears, it's still a 3/4 ton truck with solid axels.

Flyjunky

WKR
Modern gas engines are also complex and expensive to repair.

I drive diesels because I like them.

Sometimes I need the capability, and it doesn't bother me as a commuter.
That’s what I was about to say. All these new turbo charged gassers….people think they aren’t going to be expensive??? Ask me how I know. The longevity of them isn’t as good either.

Yep...i was runing 85-90 on the interstate...if i keep it under 70 I can get 15...60 on 2 lane country roads it will get 17ish if I don't hit a lot of lights..I have the Tremor package on my F250...2" lift, 35s, and 4.30 gears, it's still a 3/4 ton truck with solid axels.
My 3500 diesel gets 24 MPG at 70 MPH with 3.73 and stock tires, 15 mpg sounds rough. The newer trucks are incredibly nice but I can't afford them and prefer my older junk that's relatively cheap and easy to work on myself.

My 3500 diesel gets 24 MPG at 70 MPH with 3.73 and stock tires, 15 mpg sounds rough. The newer trucks are incredibly nice but I can't afford them and prefer my older junk that's relatively cheap and easy to work on myself.
Are you getting that off the trip computer?

sacklunch

WKR
One is not better than the other, anymore than a bolt gun is or is not better than an AR. I'm certainly not clearing rooms with my bolt gun in a dark house if a window breaks at 3am. I'm also not taking my AR out and banging steel at 1000 yards.

One is not better than the other, per say. it's all about picking the right tool for the job.

I filled up this weekend at 2.89 a gallon for gas...diesel is still at 4 bucks a gallon...I dont have to buy Def, filters or $200 oil changes...and I don't have to drive past my house cause it's in regen mode. If I towed heavy everyday and could write off my fuel and maintenence as a business expense I would go diesel, I tow under 10k maybe once or twice a month.

That’s what I was about to say. All these new turbo charged gassers….people think they aren’t going to be expensive??? Ask me how I know. The longevity of them isn’t as good either.
That's why I went 7.3...no turbos...Ford has contract with Bluebird to put them in school buses...they can't be that complicated or maintenance heavy to used in school bus.

I filled up this weekend at 2.89 a gallon for gas...diesel is still at 4 bucks a gallon...I dont have to buy Def, filters or $200 oil changes...and I don't have to drive past my house cause it's in regen mode. If I towed heavy everyday I would go diesel, I tow under 10k maybe once or twice a month.
I don't buy DEF or $200 oil changes either. My shatbox doesn't regen but I certainly change the filters and gas trucks should have their filters changed regularly too.

Serious question though, what light truck cost $200 to change the oil?

I don't buy DEF or $200 oil changes either. My shatbox doesn't regen but I certainly change the filters and gas trucks should have their filters changed regularly too.

Serious question though, what light truck cost $200 to change the oil?
Wasn't speaking of light trucks.. 6.7s oil change is right at 200 bucks at the dealer...I wasn't speaking of fuel filters water sepetater filters required for the diesel trucks. If your diesel doesn't have regen or take Def drive till it dies its worth keeping...I had to buy a new truck so my comments were comparing diesel vs gas in '21 or newer 3/4 ton.

Wasn't speaking of light trucks.. 6.7s oil change is right at 200 bucks at the dealer...
Not being a smart ass, but 6.7s come in 250s and 350s don't they? Those are light trucks. I have never and will never pay a dealer to change oil, I have the time and ability to do it myself but I understand that isn't the case for everybody. For whatever it's worth I DD a Tacoma but the diesel is unbeatable when I need it.