Diesel vs gas. Which one is better?

Gini54

FNG
I used to drive a diesel Jeep Liberty that had an 1.5" lift and oversized tires. I averaged 23 MPG, and the worst mileage I ever got was 18.

I bought a Chev Colorado with the small diesel figuring the mileage and price difference would make it more economical (I drive 45 min each way to work). With diesel prices equal to gas and the increased maintenance costs vs a gas I think it’s about a push for me at this point.

The older diesels were extremely reliable, the new ones seem to be comparably maintenance heavy and expensively problematic. The tow company I work for switched most of our smaller trucks (ford f550) to v10 gas engines a few years ago which has saved a ton of money. The amount we spent repairing the dodge 5500 diesels (2008 was the last ones) in a year or 2 we could replace a whole v10 engine. Maintenance on the v10 is far cheaper, they have plenty of power and the mileage is similar for our application. Unfortunately between the emissions stuff and complicated electronic systems on the new diesels, they took a reliable machine and created an expensive problematic one.

I’ve had a Cummins, daily driver, now for 19 years and almost 300k miles with zero engine issues. It’s a 1 ton that I’ve used to pull a fair amount of heavy stuff, but still never used it to it’s full potential. All that said, I just bought a 30 year old Land Cruiser that I think is going to be my new daily driver, although that may change with the increasing price of fuel. My Dodge average’s about 18mpg running 35’s and the LC average’s about 12 mpg with stock 31” tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I bought a Chev Colorado with the small diesel figuring the mileage and price difference would make it more economical (I drive 45 min each way to work). With diesel prices equal to gas and the increased maintenance costs vs a gas I think it’s about a push for me at this point.
What extra maintenance is more expensive on this vs the gas version?

tdhanses

WKR
Not sure if anyone still needs help in their debate but I just recently completed a round of maintenance on my ‘16 2500 6.7L and figured I’d share the breakdown in cost:

Fuel filters (10k miles):
- Mopar front/ back filters $140

Oil change (10k miles):
- Fleetguard filter $15
- T-6 Rotella synthetic 15w-40 (3gal) $86

Front/Rear diff + Transfer case:
- dealership price (vacuum/fill) $350

Auto Transmission fluid change (60k):
- 17 qts ATF+4 $80
- sump filter $35
- atf filter $22

Note: the manual allows 15k intervals for fuel filter and oil changes but if you talk to any technician they will tell you not to push it past 10k

If toyota built a 3/4 ton diesel I’d be the first in line (total pipe dream) but until that time I will keep babying the ram. When I bought the diesel it was for towing and with a >10k lbs trailer that I haul all summer I won’t be going back to gas anytime soon. That being said the maintenance cost can sting a little.
But when you look at your list only thing specific to the diesel is the fuel filters, the gas version oil change won’t be much cheaper and will be more often, the other stuff will be similar. I also bet you could get the fuel filters much cheaper.

I drove a chevy gasser from 79 to 94 when an elk jumped on my hood on the freeway going to set up elk camp. I replaced it with a ram diesel in 94, 02, 08 and 12. Each time with more horsepower and the last with a one ton. Finally I can pull a loaded four horse trailer up a steep hill without overheating or so slow I need to read a book to pass the time.

Repairs sre costly but maintenance isn't significant. Travel is 17-18 mpg, towing is 12mpg. All of it is 4,000 ft or higher. Riding is quiet, smooth and comfortable.

I don't have a commute anymore but all of my jobs are on gravel roads away from most everything.

I don't think a gasser would meet my needs or survive.

2five7

WKR
But when you look at your list only thing specific to the diesel is the fuel filters, the gas version oil change won’t be much cheaper and will be more often, the other stuff will be similar. I also bet you could get the fuel filters much cheaper.
Gas oil change will be half the money. Half the oil, filter costs half. 10k intervals on most unless you're towing heavy, frequently. No fuel filter changes required.

tdhanses

WKR
Gas oil change will be half the money. Half the oil, filter costs half. 10k intervals on most unless you're towing heavy, frequently. No fuel filter changes required.
Yeah but why would you follow the mfg interval on a gasser but not the diesel? If you apply the same logic change the gasser every 5-6k, you have way less oil that will wear quicker. In 10k miles that’s close to 2 oil changes, probably at $50 a pop if you buy a decent filter and oil. But say you go 10k on gas and 15k on diesel, in 30k you’ll have spent $150 on the gas in oil and $192 on the diesel based on his costs, difference of one meal out over a 2 year span.

I already said the fuel filters would be the difference, no reason you can’t change these yourself every 20k for under $100. On my GMC the fuel filter cost is $30 to do every 20k even though it’s recommended at 30k.

If you look at maintenance costs over 100k, it’s not a huge increase, maybe $300 unless you can’t do your own, then costs skyrocket for the diesel, also that gasser on avg will be out of warranty at 60k while the diesel will have it to 100k. One breakdown on the gasser at 75k will cost you much more out of pocket then the diesel going down at 75k.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Yeah but why would you follow the mfg interval on a gasser but not the diesel? If you apply the same logic change the gasser every 5-6k, you have way less oil that will wear quicker. In 10k miles that’s close to 2 oil changes, probably at $50 a pop if you buy a decent filter and oil. But say you go 10k on gas and 15k on diesel, in 30k you’ll have spent $150 on the gas in oil and $192 on the diesel based on his costs, difference of one meal out over a 2 year span.

I already said the fuel filters would be the difference, no reason you can’t change these yourself every 20k for under $100. On my GMC the fuel filter cost is $30 to do every 20k even though it’s recommended at 30k.

If you look at maintenance costs over 100k, it’s not a huge increase, maybe $300 unless you can’t do your own, then costs skyrocket for the diesel, also that gasser on avg will be out of warranty at 60k while the diesel will have it to 100k. One breakdown on the gasser at 75k will cost you much more out of pocket then the diesel going down at 75k.
The Ram in unique with it's factory recommended 15k interval. Both the Powerstroke and the Duramax are both 10k, as are most gas truck engines. This thread is about Diesel vs gas in general, not gas vs Cummins specifically. Anyone that says Diesel maintenance isn't more expensive than gas, is just plain wrong.

tdhanses

WKR
The Ram in unique with it's factory recommended 15k interval. Both the Powerstroke and the Duramax are both 10k, as are most gas truck engines. This thread is about Diesel vs gas in general, not gas vs Cummins specifically. Anyone that says Diesel maintenance isn't more expensive than gas, is just plain wrong.
No one said it wasn’t a higher cost, expensive overall, naw, even if its $1k more over the life of ownership that’s not expensive. It isn’t $10k more expensive to change chain fluids and filters over a 5 to 10 year ownership period. Even def costs over the life or during ownership aren’t high. My diesel is every 7.5k per mfg and costs me roughly $60 to do, dealer wanted $100.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Sure, pre-covid you could have found filters for far less but now you are dealing with supply chain issues and inflation. The same can be said for oils/fluids/grease that have significantly increased as well. I also never mess around with anything less than OEM, and only purchase from reputable dealers which occasionally comes at an additional cost. Your GMC might have a bulletproof filter system but I would not chance it on a ram with their system and the fuel quality out there. I have thought about installing an aftermarket system, but probably won't pull the trigger until I do a delete.

Side note: PSA for anyone with a cummins ram, I would highly recommend Geno's Garage for OEM parts. I have ordered from them for years and always receive genuine parts at good prices. Great guys and good service.

I could agree that gas and diesel might possibly have some comparable maintenance costs long term. However, when it comes to fluids for 3/4 and 1 tons, you will generally have higher volume requirements. As centralcoastca mentioned, there are also added EGR maintenance and def expenses that come with the new diesels. The 68K mile EGR maintenance if you price the parts could cost around $180 plus $40 for the cleaning solution. Not horribly expensive but still an added expense. And as you mentioned, the labor and part cost can skyrocket on diesels depending on what is broken. That being said, when I watch my dad and some of my buddies with gas 1/2 tons spend more time in the shop than on the road, I feel better about my decision. It also feels pretty good when I cruise by gassers on steep grades...lol.
I only run Amsoil and have enough oil for 2 years and filters for the next 5 years, guess I got lucky buying stuff when I did as I haven’t looked for anything recently.

I would say there is a minimal maintenance cost increase over gas vehicles, especially when you consider the cost of the vehicle. Def to me is apart of your fuel cost which equates to pennies on the mile, I mean if I’m not towing 5gals of def lasts almost 5k miles and last time I got it at the truck stop it was $2.89/gal, that’s cheap when you look at the big picture and truthfully when you add the cost of diesel and def per miles driven over a year compared to a gas vehicle you’ll save $100’s per year even with the per gal price being higher for diesel.

My 2019 F250 gasser I had previously got 11mpg, I’m saving a substantial amount in overall fuel costs annually with diesel when I drive 20k miles in a year. I also have a 55 gal transfer tank that provides pump savings when we see prices jumping weekly, can’t do this with gas vehicles.

Last edited:

Milzler13

FNG
Personally, I purchased a 3.0 duramax to go further on hunting trips on a tank of fuel. I have not regretted that decision one bit. I'm averaging 25mpg with a truck full of hunting equipment. The only downside is having to put in fuel additives for changing weather especially with the mountains.

Ches

FNG
I think if you are hauling something heavy, Diesel is the way to go if you can afford the initial purchase. If not, gas is your best bet. With the new 10 speed trannies and better engines, gas is getting good milage for the price.

No one said it wasn’t a higher cost, expensive overall, naw, even if its $1k more over the life of ownership that’s not expensive. It isn’t $10k more expensive to change chain fluids and filters over a 5 to 10 year ownership period. Even def costs over the life or during ownership aren’t high. My diesel is every 7.5k per mfg and costs me roughly $60 to do, dealer wanted $100.
Maintenance cost may be a wash. But when major parts fail a diesel is more expensive to repair/replace.
Replacement motor for my powerstroke from a junk yard was 11,000 one for my tundra was under 5,000. Lucky I never had to replace either but I still preferred the power of the diesel. Ultimately sold it because I couldn’t justify keeping it to only pull my boat.

tdhanses

WKR
Maintenance cost may be a wash. But when major parts fail a diesel is more expensive to repair/replace.
Replacement motor for my powerstroke from a junk yard was 11,000 one for my tundra was under 5,000. Lucky I never had to replace either but I still preferred the power of the diesel. Ultimately sold it because I couldn’t justify keeping it to only pull my boat.
Personally today I’d only buy new or certified used, almost twice the warranty length in miles for a diesel and unless you modify it no need to worry about out of pocket repairs.

Now if you only put 4k miles on a year, no reason to get a diesel even if those are all 100% towing miles.

Rock-o

WKR
If you need a diesel, get a diesel. If you want a diesel, get a diesel. If you don't need or want it, don't get it.

People talk about the high price of the diesel engine option. Sure, but it's not what people make it out to be... unless you actually pay the MSRP for the option. I don't. Maintenance is more in some ways, less in others. Fuel economy is better. Smells better too.

Last edited:

Mds2004

FNG
Personally, I purchased a 3.0 duramax to go further on hunting trips on a tank of fuel. I have not regretted that decision one bit. I'm averaging 25mpg with a truck full of hunting equipment. The only downside is having to put in fuel additives for changing weather especially with the mountains.
This is the reason I went with the 6.7L diesel over the 7.3L gas on my Ford. The 7.3 can tow as much but with less grunt and less mileage. Once I get the S&B 60 gallon tank to replace my 34 gallon tank, I should be able to hit about 1000 miles per tank pretty easily when not towing. This comes in pretty handy for me depending how far in the boondocks we go at times.