Diesel vs gas. Which one is better?

Ford really threw a curveball at this debate with the 7.3/10sp. I've been a proud diesel owner over the years and my 7.3 super duty should be built next week. Offroading for hunts and short winter commutes are not a diesels strong suit. On the other hand I still want to maintain the speed limit pulling a toy hauler.

You couldn't give me a modern diesel out of warranty between the overworked fuel system and emissions. The 7.3 out pulls the older powerstrokes till the 6.7 scorpion and also the 5.9 Cummins. Surprisingly it's right near the standard output Cummins/68rfe for pulling grades. It'll rev more (naturally) and doesn't have the awesome exhaust brake but it does a good job grade shifting.
I think you will be happy with the 7.3 for your needs. They are very similar to mine and I am at 3000 miles and have zero complaints...once it got here, went blacked out Lariat with Tremor package..169 days from order to delivery. I hadn't had new vehicle since 2010 so it was like getting a new phone and new truck with all the electronics...feel free to PM me with any questions...sport mode with the rear axel locked 2wd is high smiles per mile off road! Enjoy!

jedm

FNG
This thread is quite helpful. I appreciate everyone chiming in. I've been weighing optioms for my next truck.

jedm

FNG
I was debating between a 1500 and a 2500. Definitely going with a 1500. Still on the fence about a diesel or gas tho. I was considering a diesel as we've talked about getting a travel trailer. Otherwise I don't tow much or often. The longevity and mpg stand out but not sure if I should just go gas or not.

tdhanses

WKR
I was debating between a 1500 and a 2500. Definitely going with a 1500. Still on the fence about a diesel or gas tho. I was considering a diesel as we've talked about getting a travel trailer. Otherwise I don't tow much or often. The longevity and mpg stand out but not sure if I should just go gas or not.
In the 1500 world go diesel, while you still have def you don’t have that huge price increase and you get 30%+ better mileage. Even if you don’t tow the diesel is great just driving around, in town I avg 500 miles of driving before filling up around 21-22 gals of diesel and def lasts around 5000 miles when not towing.

Maintenance costs are not bad either, only diff is a fuel filter that for me costs $22 on Amazon Every 30k, you’ll hear the guys with bigger diesels say you should change it more often but that’s bs, both are on avg filtering the same gals of fuel, the 1/2ton just sips the fuel.

shardin

FNG
On one side you have the gas camp. They'll say things like diesel emissions systems are very problematic. You have to drive tons of miles to hit break even due to the very expensive diesel engine option. Oil changes and fuel filters definitely add up for diesels.

On the other side is the diesel camp. They'll say things like diesel engines last much longer than gas engines. Diesels pull better in the mountains. You can just delete it(illegal) and get rid of all of it's emissions equipment problems. Some of them will recommend a diesel for someone looking at pulling under 5k pounds. Seems like overkill.

Personally I think gas does fine up to 12k or 13k, using a 3/4 ton or 1 ton of course. Above that, diesel seems to be the correct choice.

What do you guys think? Debate.
Diesel, 100%. Higher cost to maintain but the longevity makes it worth it in my opinion.

jedm

FNG
So I guess I'm sold on a 1500 diesel when the time comes. Get my garage built and then a truck. I need a pay raise.

jedm

FNG
Ram or Chevy. Leaning towards Ram. It'll be a good while til I'm ready. Probably about a year.

huckmeat

FNG
I really like my BMW 328d wagon for road trips. Its awesome for what its built for- eating up highway miles and getting almost anywhere in 1 tank of gas. 44+mpg all the time in the mountains. But I don't think this is what you were talking about....

i have a 3 liter eco diesel crew cab that gets about 22 mpg with a full decked system and all camping gear, plus a rooftop tent, awning, and bikes on the back.

I love small diesel but think it’s dead in the US.

wapitibob

WKR
Always interesting to read these threads; high maint costs, fall apart if a daily driver, only buy diesel if you tow, etc. My new F-150 won't make it to 441,000 with a 2nd motor.

441000.jpg

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
1500 diesels change the game, 2500s ride like donkey dic and not ideal off road. Half ton unless you absolutely have to have a 3/4

Savage99

WKR
I’m running a 460 in my ‘96 still and it doesn’t come close to 16 mpg, 12.5 on highway is most I’ve ever seen. I have 4.11 gears so the good thing is it doesn’t drop a bunch towing heavy, usually above 10.

I’d love a new truck but hard to justify the cost at the point in my life. I’ve shopped a bunch last few years and my mechanic who specializes in diesel told me to either buy gas, or an older diesel in the 7.3-6.0 Ford years and plan to put some money in it, and drive.

The newer ones scare him too, unless under warranty and owner is wealthy.

I’d still love a new truck though!

Let me know if you ever decide to sell it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk