Are binoculars and a bino harness neccessary?

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I try to go as minimalist as possible during archery elk so I can cover ground and keep my back and knees feeling good. I'm not concerned with antler size so I don't really need a close up look at anything. My gear most days I hunt from base camp:

Pack
Bow
Bow tool
Water bladder
Water filter
Food
Game bags/paracord
Knife
Head lamp
Phone
Rain jacket
Bugle tube and diaphragms
Leuko tape
Emergency beacon
License/tags
Lighter

If shit goes sideways I would rather just get back down the mountain to camp than carry a 25 lb day pack loaded with backup this or that every day.

Serious question - why are people carrying pistols during archery season in Colorado? Is it for black bears?
This is pretty much my pack also. But I have no beacon but a GPS and paper map. And If its below freezing I carry water bottles instead of a bladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I wear the Kenai chest holster with a Kuiu bino harness. I have to push the chest holster down about an inch lower than I wear it without the binos. I wore it for 30 days last year while hunting CO and AZ. I carry a 9mm in the Kenai. I just purchased a 10mm and new holster but haven't tried it out yet.
Do you find access to the pistol an issue under the bino harness, or find the bino harness is pushed out front to far.

I have a Kenai coming, so I guess I'll find out soon enough, just looking for an opinion.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I try to go as minimalist as possible during archery elk so I can cover ground and keep my back and knees feeling good. I'm not concerned with antler size so I don't really need a close up look at anything. My gear most days I hunt from base camp:

Pack
Bow
Bow tool
Water bladder
Water filter
Food
Game bags/paracord
Knife
Head lamp
Phone
Rain jacket
Bugle tube and diaphragms
Leuko tape
Emergency beacon
License/tags
Lighter

If shit goes sideways I would rather just get back down the mountain to camp than carry a 25 lb day pack loaded with backup this or that every day.

Serious question - why are people carrying pistols during archery season in Colorado? Is it for black bears?
I've always carried a pistol and always will. I'd rather carry it and not need it than need it and not have it on me. Safety factor I guess, for two legged and four legged predators.

Jawmarq

FNG
The area I've hunted sounds similar to what you're talking about. I took mine, and although I rarely used them, I'm glad I had them when I wanted them

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the input guys. I have a good pair of Vortex Viper 8×42's in a AGC chest harness. I have a lot of neccessary stuff in that as well.

I'm trying to figure a good option to carry my pistol. I cant find a good hip holster to fit on my Kafaru hip belt. I've tried many. Just digs into my hip bone to much. The AGC holster on the bino harness was way to floppy. Sent it back.

I like the chest holster that Gunslingers makes the Kenai I think. But then the bino harness becomes an issue. Not sure what direction to go in.
You looked at the Razco yet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nubbin

FNG
i have an ALPS bino harness and love it, wouldn't ever give it up! Have a grenade pouch attached on the side for my range finder so its right there at an easy reach and not swinging or hanging off my body.

wseidel

WKR
I have run the AGC with the Kenai Chest Holster underneath it for two years since I find both a bino and sidearm essential when elk hunting. This works well for me and is not as cumbersome as it may sound. I position the chest holster so I can easily access my S&W 44...slightly below the AGC horizontal chest strap. Due to the large number of grizzlies where we hunt in NW Wyoming...carrying a sidearm (in addition to bear spray) is not an option IMO. The chest holster option means I always have the handgun in the "ready and available"position - not attached to the pack or tucked away in a pack. The only downsides are more weight on your chest (when combined with a bino carrier) and the hassle of removing it when adding/taking off layers of clothing. The added security is well worth these trade-offs. Hope this helps...

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I have looked at photos of the Razco, I would have to get the universal kit. Not sure I like that or not.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Have hunted Colorado 5 years and killed 5 elk,I wouldn't ever carry binos in the area I hunt.went to Idaho last year and ended up buying some as the terrain there is different and my hunting style had to change

kopmantrey

Lil-Rokslider
wouldn't leave home without binos. went without a harness for years although i do use one now.

fmyth

WKR
Do you find access to the pistol an issue under the bino harness, or find the bino harness is pushed out front to far.

I have a Kenai coming, so I guess I'll find out soon enough, just looking for an opinion.
No problem accessing the pistol. I wear the Kenai a little lower and the bottom of the bino case just touches the top of the Kenai buckle. The pistol grip sticks out to my right enough that the bino case is not in the way. The only downside is that you have to take both off to remove or add a layer of clothing.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input guys. I have a good pair of Vortex Viper 8×42's in a AGC chest harness. I have a lot of neccessary stuff in that as well.

I'm trying to figure a good option to carry my pistol. I cant find a good hip holster to fit on my Kafaru hip belt. I've tried many. Just digs into my hip bone to much. The AGC holster on the bino harness was way to floppy. Sent it back.

I like the chest holster that Gunslingers makes the Kenai I think. But then the bino harness becomes an issue. Not sure what direction to go in.
Look at the Eberlestock Scout Bino Pack. It has a compartment in the back for a mid sized pistol.

I tried 5 different types of holsters and ways to attach them( including a chest holster).
The thing that works best for me is the mystery ranch holster, I use it on my Kifaru pack belt. It attached very nicely.
Fairly comfortable considering its a 44 mag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's a great idea, I have a nice paddle holster for the glock already.

I've used a paddle holster for my G20 while bowhunting for the last 8 years now. With my day pack I wear the holster on my hip with the pack waist belt above it. With my multi-day pack with the thicker waist belt I wear it on the pack waist belt.

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
I've used a paddle holster for my G20 while bowhunting for the last 8 years now. With my day pack I wear the holster on my hip with the pack waist belt above it. With my multi-day pack with the thicker waist belt I wear it on the pack waist belt.
Do you have a Kifaru waist belt? I have the PALS matrix on the hip belt. I can't figure out a secure way of attaching a paddle holster, without it flopping all around on some added webbing.

I think they are a necessity, especially in steep and deep terrain. They keep your binos from bouncing all over the place and handy when you need them most. The harness also keeps the binos dry and lenses clean in the case of a back country storm. I use the Kuiu bino harness and love it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you have a Kifaru waist belt? I have the PALS matrix on the hip belt. I can't figure out a secure way of attaching a paddle holster, without it flopping all around on some added webbing.

I have a Stone Glacier and I put the paddle over the strap portion of the belt because that's always tight when I have the pack on. But I've also used it over the actual padded belt as well.

ElkNut1

WKR
There are areas I Deer & Elk hunt that warn Bino use & areas for elk that do not because of the thick cover. I have them on my hunts but only take them with me on days I feel they could be of use, that's about 50% of the time. No way I'd leave them home though! I prefer 10X32, they are compact & do as well as 10X42

ElkNut/Paul

Sled

WKR
I am hunting elk early archery in Colorado this year. First time in this unit, but all reports say it is steep, thick and rugged. Perfect.

My question is: Are binoculars and a chest bino harness really necessary? Have any of you guys hunted archery elk without binoculars?
depends on where you are hunting and your needs. i started with a vortex 10x30 monocular on the hip that suited my current (at the time) needs. for most, a nice rangefinder can be used in place of that. i enjoyed my setup and have since moved to maven b3's 8x32 in a fhf gear harness. to each their own. good luck with your choice.

fwiw,

i carry a 380 lcp just in case. i don't hunt grizz country and just have a pea shooter in case. i am much more willing to carry if it doesn't bother me to carry it. at least i know it makes noise and there are 6 shots available if needed.

Last edited: