Are binoculars and a bino harness neccessary?

Mason326

FNG
Also always a yes on binos!!! If your place is particularly thick just go lighter/lower power. Every time I have gone in the field without, I find myself wishing I had them... (y)

I have just used a quality 6x range finder for years without binos. But I hunt pretty thick timber..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
What pistol? I carry during archery, but because I'm scouting and I don't have a bow. Also run a kifaru bag. Best system I've found so far is Safariland's MOLLE QD system. It lets you use the holster elsewhere and also has excellent positive retention and trigger protection. I run a G19 with TLR1 for two legged predators year-around, and it rides in the same safariland holster everywhere it goes but IWB.
I carry a Glock 43 and was looking on the Safariland wesite for the molle attachment system. I like the design, the website is confusing though. Looking for a holster that will fit the 43 and attach to the Molle attachment system.

Mason326

FNG
Man I agree their site is terrible to navigate and figure out what you need. I ended up swapping parts once or twice to get exactly what I needed. I'll look at the part numbers I have tonight and see what the equivalent (assuming there is one!) holster is for a G43

OP
Skull10

Skull10

WKR
Man I agree their site is terrible to navigate and figure out what you need. I ended up swapping parts once or twice to get exactly what I needed. I'll look at the part numbers I have tonight and see what the equivalent (assuming there is one!) holster is for a G43
Yes Sir, a Glock 43. Thanks in advance for the assistance. Do you have any photos you can DM me of your setup?

Mason326

FNG
Absolutely. Had some crazy kiddos last night and didn't have time to get around to it, but should be able to this evening.

Holocene

WKR
Binoculars are a must have, and the harness is nice. I hunted my first elk season with a pair of 8x42 Redfields hung around my neck with the strap they came with and don't remember any grief about that. Got by fine. I would tuck them in my shirt? Or maybe I stuck them in my pack? I don't remember being a proficient glasser. At the end of that season, I had the good fortune to hunt with two friends who run Swaros. Looking through their glass planted a seed. They were master glassers.

Before the next season, I sold my house in South Carolina and had enough cash on hand to buy a pair of 10x42 Swaros and a harness. Those live with me now, and I think it's one of the best investments a serious hunter can make.

Whether hunting duck, quail, turkey, deer, elk, bear -- you name it -- I have those binos and that harness. I glass all the time.

Having your binos easily accessible WILL make you glass more. Which is a good thing.

10x42s are all you need for elk. They are big critters, and the bulls have a yellowish tint that you can pick out from 1000+ yards away. You aren't going to be using the binos when that animal is 50 yards away. You are going to be using it when they are farther -- all the way across a canyon, or maybe you see one elk in a clearing clear as day but you want glass the area because only with binos can you see that half a dozen others are sitting around bedded.

I wouldn't worry about a spotting scope unless you are a trophy hunter. The weight is significant.

Last edited:

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
I know there is no way I hunt anything without having binocs with me. To me having them is almost as important as having a gun or bow. I don't use one of the new fancy type harnesses with a cover just the ones that strap over your shoulder and under your arms.

tac83

FNG
Binos are worth carrying and worth spending a little more on. A lot of people like the vortex's but I think leupold's are actually better glass at the price points and have almost as good of a lifetime warranty.

Thejet

WKR
I would be hard pressed to go out hunting anything without mine anymore. I don’t notice any drawbacks with it and the advantages there in all hunting aspects. Most of them have ways to attach rangefinders which help drastically in archery aspects.

Reeltime

FNG
I am hunting elk early archery in Colorado this year. First time in this unit, but all reports say it is steep, thick and rugged. Perfect.

My question is: Are binoculars and a chest bino harness really necessary? Have any of you guys hunted archery elk without binoculars?

A chest pack for your binos is 100% unnecessary, completely unneeded. As for the binoculars themselves, I wouldn’t want to step into the woods without them.

njdoxie

WKR
When I’m hunting thick country which I rarely do anymore, I didn’t find them necessary, now I hunt more open country and really put them to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on a couple of things. If I'm using a compound then I'm probably bringing binos most of the time. The longer range of the compound means that I probably won't be hunting in really thick dark timber. And, if I've drawn a limited entry tag then I'm targeting more mature bulls then I'll want the binos to look over the bulls.

But on the other hand if I'm hunting with a recurve in dark timber and especially if its an OTC tag and I'm just looking to kill any elk then I'll leave the binos in the truck/camp.

If it's early season and I'm watching a water hole/wallow then there is little value in bringing binos, unless I just want them to help pass the time. If bulls are screaming their heads off in dark timber then binos would be of little value.

ace4

FNG
Binos are worth carrying and worth spending a little more on. A lot of people like the vortex's but I think leupold's are actually better glass at the price points and have almost as good of a lifetime warranty.
Almost as good of a warranty? I inherited some old gold ring binos from my grandpa from the 80s. The adjustments didn't work anymore and dirt got in the glass. Grandpa wasn't easy in gear. I sent them into leupold they fixed them up, cleaned them, replaced the eye cups, threw them in a new case, and sent me a hat to boot. There are countless tales of similar stories. If they can't fix the glass they often will replace with a newer model. Leupold has one of, if not, the best warranties in the business. Vortex hasn't even been a company long enough to have similar experiences.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tac83

FNG
Almost as good of a warranty? I inherited some old gold ring binos from my grandpa from the 80s. The adjustments didn't work anymore and dirt got in the glass. Grandpa wasn't easy in gear. I sent them into leupold they fixed them up, cleaned them, replaced the eye cups, threw them in a new case, and sent me a hat to boot. There are countless tales of similar stories. If they can't fix the glass they often will replace with a newer model. Leupold has one of, if not, the best warranties in the business. Vortex hasn't even been a company long enough to have similar experiences.

I agree Leupold customer service is absolutely top notch and one of the best CS experiences Ive ever dealt with when sending my binos in for service and dial replacement.

I think with Vortex you can send a set of absolutely destroyed glass (clearly dropped, smashed etc) in and they will replace under warranty. Don't think Leupold will go that far.

Comerade

FNG
I live in the Western mountains.
Hunting is about being observant, the easier it is to see the more game you will spot. I use the very best glass and always carry a compact spotting scope beside the bins.
I also wear a vest and a harness is not needed.The vest retains binoculars from moving around.
This is my method

ace4

FNG
I agree Leupold customer service is absolutely top notch and one of the best CS experiences Ive ever dealt with when sending my binos in for service and dial replacement.

I think with Vortex you can send a set of absolutely destroyed glass (clearly dropped, smashed etc) in and they will replace under warranty. Don't think Leupold will go that far.
I've never broke a tube or anything like that so I have no experience there. But maybe you're right with that. Newer brands can do that for a few years to get some established customers. Look at Badlands. For years they would just replace your bag if something broke on it. Now they pretty much stick to repairing because so many people would "upgrade" their bags every couple year by tearing something on it.

I expect Leupold to be fair with their warranty and every time they have exceed that expectation.
Vortex looks to make decent glass, but I've never had a reason to try it. I might have to check them out if I ever get a spotting scope.

Joshua_D

FNG
A bino harness IS a must if you bring binos. I hunted in some thick timber last year and never really needed them, other places I've hunted Ive used them a ton so just depends on where you're hunting. If you're going to use them get the best you can afford.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have a good pair of Vortex Viper 8×42's in a AGC chest harness. I have a lot of neccessary stuff in that as well.

I'm trying to figure a good option to carry my pistol. I cant find a good hip holster to fit on my Kafaru hip belt. I've tried many. Just digs into my hip bone to much. The AGC holster on the bino harness was way to floppy. Sent it back.

I like the chest holster that Gunslingers makes the Kenai I think. But then the bino harness becomes an issue. Not sure what direction to go in.
Super late reply, but check out Ivory Holsters - They make a holster for the hip belt on a pack.