Are all sleeping pads terrible?

Austin Kaufman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always been running a klymit that has an R value of 6.5. Recently my wife’s been running a big Agnes rapide SL with around a 4.2 or 4.3 R value and she raves about it. Also will run an xtherm. All have been good for us. I’d definitely check out REI, scheels, etc as stated above and just try a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
Switching from a Klymit to the Big Agnes Zoom UL this season in the long wide. Couple test runs so far and it is an amazing improvement over those horrible Klymit pads. Only 18oz for the long wide with 4.3R rating

id_jon

WKR
If you're willing to bring the extra weight and bulk, a foam pad under your air pad will do wonders. I've carried both on every trip for 5 years now, no going back.

mlgc20

WKR
In my experience it is all about the pillow. Try a few differnet pillows. I found that you can't duplicate a real one and if it isn't too crazy of trip I bring it. If we are going big I bring a ligjt blow up pillow.
I agree that the pillow is the key. The Exped pillows have tabs/loops on either side. I tie a small piece of shock cord on each tab. This keeps the pillow in place on the pad. This was the single best thing I ever did for my backcountry sleep.

Damage

FNG
Have a thermorest insulated xtherm, 7.2, excellent pad. Comfort is kinda relative, if you're used to sleeping on a bed, a pad on the ground might take some getting used to. I can sleep about anywhere though. But the TR pad is real nice, like I'm floating on a cloud. My first insulated pad, huge difference in warmth too.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
another xtherm fan here. I use a reg. wide version and find it easy to inflate to the level that works for me "and it stays there". I'm a roller/side sleeper and have had no issues with this pad for comfort,rolling off and never bottom it out. Some say it's too "crinkly", but it doesn't keep me awake. Best pad I've ever owned.

Last edited:
I tried so hard to get a good comfortable sleeping pad (went with the Sea to Summit EtherLite XT) but still, I can’t get a good night of rest on it. Is sleeping on an ultra lite pad just a skill I need to hone in on or is there something I’m missing?

No they are not all terrible but I seem to sleep easier than you and have many good sleeps on a variety of pads. I would recommend big agnes. My Big Agnes pad has treated me well for years. It is 3” think with a high r-value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like a sh$t load of factors go into a good nights sleep backpacking. Comfort coming a few notches down the list. Caffeine intake, eating at a proper hour, staying away from high sugar bars or snacks later in the day. After that, proper psi, R-value, and keeping everything together so you’re not slipping off the pad or losing your pillow. Quilts are better at that and pillows with straps. Caulk on the bottom of the pad or pillow to prevent slippage. I do what I can to make sure I minimize all that movement, and my psi is dialed. I’m also usually worn out from the day’s activities and pass out. The pad you have seems like a decent one.
Just my 2cents.

If you're willing to bring the extra weight and bulk, a foam pad under your air pad will do wonders. I've carried both on every trip for 5 years now, no going back.
Agreed. I use a foam pad under my inflatable on my cot and it is much more comfortable. On the ground it also helps protect your air pad.

The cot is a major upgrade from ground too. I haven't bothered to backpack it though and only use at the truck. My other pad for it is an old thermarest self-inflating which is pretty shitty on the ground but perfect for the cot.

My current inflatable pad is a nemo tensor wide insulated and I would say it definitely does not suck. Very comfortable and compact.

Seeknelk

WKR
One night I just couldn't zonk near my truck after a long drive even tho I was super tired. I was using the big Agnes of some sort. I'm a side sleeper, maybe with fairly wide shoulders and hips. I realized I felt wobbly and was trying to stay balanced and sleep at same time. Tossed the air pad and just used an old ,3/4" thermarest and slept good , I immediately felt more " grounded" and solid and I realized why I've been fighting the air pads, trying different pressures etc. Since then I've also brought my pack alongside me to sorta lean against sometimes and that helps lock me in.
Edited to add...the long lengthwise baffles like the BA seems more rolly Polly compared to some of the baffle designs, I'm not sure what all goes into that or what styles offer what benefits yet. I just tried some out in store and could feel a difference

Last edited:
I’ve used several over the years for work and hunting (Thermarest, Klymit, Big Agnes). Many nights a year from desert to bitter cold.

I am currently looking at Exped Ultra 5R or 7R for colder weather and carrying the extra ounces.

What is the consensus on Exped vs the others?
Started out with an old heavy Thermarest, Tried Klymit, currently using a wide rectangle Exped Ultra 5R and have been plenty happy with it. Holds air, I've been warm down into the teens, and it's the most comfortable pad I've used. Everyone raves about the Thermarest NeoAir XLite pads and I might try one if/when this Exped gives up the ghost.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a side sleeper with a bad back. Over the last several years and testing 7-8 pads I've learned the following:

1. First night out always sucks. New bed, noises, temps, bag vs blankets, etc.
2. I need a 25" pad, 3.5"-4" thick.
3. Longitudinal tubes work better for me than horizontal. Horizontals destroy my back.
4. Inflate to about 80%. Just enough to keep my hips off the ground. I fill to 100%, set everything up, lay on the pad, then deflate to comfort level.
5. Put something 2"-3" thick under the pad about where my knees or lower legs are. This helps simulate the crater at hip level in a regular bed and keeps my back aligned. I have used an empty backpack but now have a 25" S2S pillow.
6. Wear long johns, even in the summer, to eliminate the feeling of nylon on skin.
7. Fold pants to about 2" thick and keep between knees to help keep my back straight.
8. With an air pillow, inflate to 50%-60%, put it in a cotton pillowcase (mine is half size) along with spare clothing. Make sure to smooth out the wrinkles.
9. Earplug in upside ear, switch when rolling over. Plug in downside feels like a nail in my ear.

I’ve used several over the years for work and hunting (Thermarest, Klymit, Big Agnes). Many nights a year from desert to bitter cold.

I am currently looking at Exped Ultra 5R or 7R for colder weather and carrying the extra ounces.

What is the consensus on Exped vs the others?
I got the exped Ultra 7r LW last year after freezing on a klymit static V the year before. If you don’t mind hauling it, that exped was great. Basically inflates into a mini air mattress

nphunter

WKR
I sleep like a baby in the backcountry, BA Q-Core insulated pad the wide one, I use a 30 deg down bag and sleep on long John’s to keep from sweating to the bag. For a pillow I use my sleeping bag carrying bag and stuff my puffy in. The rest of my clothes get stuffed into the bottom of my sleeping bag.

I’ve only had a couple nights ever where I didn’t sleep like a baby but those were due to high winds rattling the tent. I’ve slept in the setup in early archery and into late November in single digits.

One thing I add durning later seasons with long nights is advil PM or melatonin gummies and I take it as I’m eating dinner and setting up the tent, by the time I’m ready for bed I’m out like a light. I’d probably skip the sleep agents in grizzly country.

The warmth to weight ratio of the xtherm makes it the obvious choice if you can get comfortable on it, but I think a lot of people think it's not super comfy compared to some other options.

I sleep best on a 1.5 inch or greater thickness self inflating pad like the prolite plus. I think they're genuinely comfortable, especially once you get above 2 inches thickness. But I am constantly tempted to try a neoair again for the weight savings.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Thermarest came out with a new version of their XLite that i have really been liking. Biggest problem with the old one was how loud it was but they seemed to definitely fix that with this one