Are all sleeping pads terrible?

OP
edewey

edewey

FNG
Appreciate the input everyone! I have tried a few since posting this and landed on the sea to summit comfort plus SI. It’s pretty dang big, and not light, but I’ll deal with it for the massive improvement in quality of sleep. Cheers and happy hunting!

Darryle

WKR
Find you an industrial ergo work floor mat, light and resist compression. We had a bunch of 6' x 2' that were purchased at work, "safety" decided they were a hazard before they were ever unboxed. I ended up a case of them. I tried one for a sleep mat at the farm when I forgot my bed roll, was surprisingly comfortable. I used it upside down, because I was afraid the porous bottom would suck up ground moisture. Before that, I used a cheap closed cell pool float, it to was comfortable, but I can also sleep on a concrete floor just fine.

Biggest difference that I made for my fat ass…

1) properly sized bag/quilt(no cold spots)
2) deflating my pad, I always had it too inflated. (I deflate just enough, before my hip will touches the ground)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested to hear why you like it deflated some? Do you prefer to sleep on softer beds and that correlates to deflated mat? Never tried it deflated some so curious to hear...

ODB

WKR
Interested to hear why you like it deflated some? Do you prefer to sleep on softer beds and that correlates to deflated mat? Never tried it deflated some so curious to hear...

I use an Exped and also do not inflate it too much. Just enough to keep my hip from hitting the ground or so. I have found an over-inflated pad will not let you 'settle in' as much as one that is a little deflated. Even a hard bed will allow you to sink in a little and I think that immobility helps me sleep. That said I like HARD beds - it's just that I know I do sink in just a little bit.

Mike 338

WKR
So the first night, you (or should I say "I") never sleep well. Same goes in hotels or wherever. 2nd night is better cause you're a bit sleep deprived. Just about the time you fall into a pattern, the hunt's over. If it's cool/cold outside I wear warm headgear to bed. It covers my ears and muffles noises and when I toss and turn, I don't get a blast of cold air on the newly exposed part of my head. I wear one of those mad bomber hats with rabbit fur inside. The chin strap keeps it in place all night. Feels good. You'll sleep better.

You can get away with a mediocre sleeping bag but you probably should invest in a great pad. Great R-value and big enough that your arms don't slip off. Thermarest gets the nod from scads of guides but maybe more importantly, weekend warriors like them too. I do to. I got an X-Therm some years ago and really like it. It makes a crinkly noise when you roll on it but it never stopped me from sleeping. They're stupid expensive but a really good pad is probably one of the few outdoor gear things you buy that doesn't trigger buyers remorse.

Other things that improve a night's sleep is washing your face, wetting your hair down and combing it, then let dry. Loose heavy socks and maybe a clean t-shirt. Not trying to be anyone's mom but getting some good sleep is not such a bad thing. Face washing and hair wetting cools your head down and preps you for konking out. Booze causes you to crash fast but your deep restful sleep is negatively affected. If your out of shape and your muscles are in full revolt, maybe an aspirin before bed too.

I have found that the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm and Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra are the two that work for me.

Like many, I have used countless pads over the years. These seem to reduce any hip pain that other pads could not mitigate.

you have to put a sleeping pad on top of a ultralight cot…… Trust me on this one. It’s worth the extra couple pounds

AKDoc

WKR
you have to put a sleeping pad on top of a ultralight cot…… Trust me on this one. It’s worth the extra couple pounds
I totally agree, especially if using a down sleeping bag in colder temps. Comfort aside, you will be cold all night sleeping on an ultralight cot without a sleeping pad with a good R-rating.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved

Yes, side sleeper/restless sometimes. I used to air up mattress to theyre “drum tight” being my fat ass was gonna “squish it”. Now, after inflating, I’ll lie on my side with it, and deflate until my hip barely touches touches ground. Then inflate one breathe. I was actually surprised how limp the mattress bedded to be. Made a big difference for me

I totally agree that a person absolutely should have a pad when using an elevated sleeping platform with airlow underneath it. I'm merely saying no to the cot.

Yes, side sleeper/restless sometimes. I used to air up mattress to theyre “drum tight” being my fat ass was gonna “squish it”. Now, after inflating, I’ll lie on my side with it, and deflate until my hip barely touches touches ground. Then inflate one breathe. I was actually surprised how limp the mattress bedded to be. Made a big difference for me

Interesting, I will have to give this a try to see if I like it better. Sounds promising!

ODB

WKR

Exactly.