Are all sleeping pads terrible?

edewey

FNG
I tried so hard to get a good comfortable sleeping pad (went with the Sea to Summit EtherLite XT) but still, I can’t get a good night of rest on it. Is sleeping on an ultra lite pad just a skill I need to hone in on or is there something I’m missing?

Choupique

WKR
I dont think so. I bought a fat agnes bag and pad last year, where the pad fits into the little keepers on the bottom of the bag so you don't slide off. I slept great on that setup. It isn't ultralight or anything but I make room for it.

I dont think there are many people who really sleep like theyre home on minimalist sleeping pads on the ice cold ground.

Welcome. That ether light is my favorite pad by far. I am a heave side sleeper and run mine jump a touch soft (about 95%) full. That gives me 4inches of cushion and it is the best pad I have used. Others were louder and not as thick or comfortable. I sometimes run mine with a thin foam pad (matty mcmattface from seek outside) but I don’t think that adds to comfort. I am also pretty deliberate about setting up a pillow. I use a compression stuff sack (Kifaru medium) turned inside out and filled with an inflatable pillow on bottom and extra clothes on top.

the right bag, a warm hat, sleeping bottles, hot water bottles can all help too.

I wouldn’t expect your trail set up is ever going to rival your bed at home but you can definitely improve your sleep. FWIW I sleep better after a night or two in the woods. I get used to the night noises ans after a day or two of hiking in the mountains I am exhausted by bedtime And sleep like a rock.

Balloons suck for sleeping. I have tried 10 pads modern expensive. My Exped is the closest thing to comfort, but compared even to a stack of quilts it still sucks. I think back sleepers with smaller upper bodies do best on them. If your top half is significantly heavier than your bottom half, you end up bending over backwards if you try to sleep on your back, and that sucks. If you have a muscular butt it's even worse.

Closest I can get to comfort is side sleeping with pad about 2/3 full. Still, better than the ground.

wyosteve

WKR
I picked up a Klymit for a recent hunt and was more than impressed. Had to sleep on the ground where I usually have a cot. But it was very comfortable. Now, it didn't get much below freezing, but it kept me well rested.

Fowl Play

WKR
I would go to an REI or similar store that will let you try a bunch side by side and find one that you like. I hate all the super ultralight pads and since sleep is so important to me, I am willing to pack more weight. I am currently using the sea to summit comfort plus insulated. Prob a pound heavier than the one you are using, but worth it to me. It’s thinner and more firm. I can kneel on it and knees won’t touch the ground.

DanimalW

WKR
Maybe try a hammock. They also make some UL backpacking cots. I’ve never tried one, but maybe worth considering.

Tod osier

WKR
I tried so hard to get a good comfortable sleeping pad (went with the Sea to Summit EtherLite XT) but still, I can’t get a good night of rest on it. Is sleeping on an ultra lite pad just a skill I need to hone in on or is there something I’m missing?

Have you let a little air out to adjust comfort? Maybe I'm the only idiot here, but I always blew them up firm and slept on them. Once I realized knocking a little air out once in the bag made them much more comfortable.

Like mentioned before in this thread, I have the big Agnes pad/bag combo where the pad can slip into the backside of the bag. It changed the game for me. No more sliding around at night. And learning how to adjust psi is big as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
In my experience it is all about the pillow. Try a few differnet pillows. I found that you can't duplicate a real one and if it isn't too crazy of trip I bring it. If we are going big I bring a ligjt blow up pillow.

I’ve used several over the years for work and hunting (Thermarest, Klymit, Big Agnes). Many nights a year from desert to bitter cold.

I am currently looking at Exped Ultra 5R or 7R for colder weather and carrying the extra ounces.

What is the consensus on Exped vs the others?