Archery hunt during rut tactics?

dtrkyman

WKR
Have a late archery New Mexico tag, anyone having any success rattling or grunting?

Low density area for deer and most of the deer I have seen in the area are not in great spots for glassing, lots of cover and flat!

May even try some stand hunting?

Suggestions?

Thanks

I’ve hunted January deer a good number of times here always south of I40, and every time I’ve seen deer they’re within a mile of a water source. Never tried rattling but I’ve heard it can work. I’d suggest having a ladder in the back of your truck and glassing from there if you’re in a really flat unit. Good luck! January is my favorite time to hunt here.

svivian

WKR
Find their travel routes and times and post up on them, I've had good success with this in AZ during January.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I may go full whitetail strategy on them? Headed next week to set a couple cameras where I have seen a few deer in the past.

Tons of water close so not much of a factor as far as a pattern. Definitely some trails to monitor!

We have had success tempting rutty mule deer with rattles. Haven't killed one that way but certainly received interest and altered a travel trajectory. I would think you need a partner or at minimum a static decoy away from your location, otherwise they'll pick you off coming in.

You should also consider picking up a Heads Up decoy. I haven't had much success with them but others have. Wouldn't use one during a rifle season, of course.

Otherwise, like always, I'd glass them up and try to get close and see what happens. At least during the rut they'll be with does, so easier to find. In my experience during the rut you tend to see more but killing is tough because they move too much for archery. Just when you think you're getting close enough they'll get up and roll country.