Antler rattling for 4th season mullies

Anyone have any success rattling antlers during a 4th season mule deer hunt? I'll be hunting in Colorado next week in any area with limited public land which is typically pretty wooded, meaning no long glassing spots. My plan was to hang out on the edge of a few small openings I have scouted and seen some deer tracks cruising through. I was wondering if it would be worth bringing a couple antlers with me.

Never had any luck with it, lilies aren’t as aggressive as whitetail and from what I’ve seen don’t go looking for a fight. I’ve never had any luck grunting them in or rattling them in like whitetail. But that’s just me,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not rattling, but archery hunting a buck bedded with his hot doe in thick cover..I scraped a bush with an stick and stomped the ground simulating a challenge. Threw in a doe “bleat”. The buck and doe came out to investigate and I killed him.

Drawing them in from a distance I’m not sure it would work, but you never know 🤷

Hnthrdr

WKR
Had it work one time on a younger buck on private… but other times it has had them running the other direction, I’d pray for snow and still hunt if you can’t glass… glassing and still hunting are your best bet

Seeknelk

WKR
Grunting certainly works. At bare minimum it definitely makes them chill out when your trying to stay with a herd that's rutting and some pick you off.
I've heard of rattling working. Tried it only a little mostly cuz I don't feel like packing the antlers up the nasty mountains we usually hunt em in here.

Jaquomo

WKR
Absolutely. I've rattled in dozens of mature bucks during all stages of the rut (have published several articles on it and give seminars on calling muley bucks). Sometimes it takes awhile for them to arrive, so you have to be patient and keep at it. It can sometimes take a half hour for a buck to come in. Sometimes they come running, but more likely they will casually wander in, looking for the source.

I start with a good clash sequence and rattle/grind for a solid minute, kicking the ground and grunting like two bucks going at it. Hold the antlers loosely so they resonate. Then I shut up and watch. After a couple minutes I do it again, but start with tip tickling before the clash-rattle-grind-grunting. Since I primarily bowhunt during November, I only tickle after I see one, to coax him into range. I presume you're rifle hunting so that won't be an issue. I keep this up off and on until I'm convinced no bucks are in the area or I decide to move.

After most of the does are bred and the bucks are roaming, looking for the few late comers, rattling can be especially productive. I've called them in from long distance during this time on quiet mornings. Set yourself up in a spot where one has to show himself in order to see where the rattling is originating.

Be patient and believe. I've been rattling them in for 35 years, despite claims by some "experts" that mature muleys can't be called in.

Last edited: