Mid October Montana Archery Antelope

I did not fill my 900-20 archery antelope tag this year in early September. Trying to get out there and fill my tag. What are my best tactics for having a bow this late after the rut? Should I just sit water holes and fingers crossed? Am I crazy for still wanting to use a bow during rifle season? planning on using some BLM and not afraid to ask farmer if needed. Thanks

hobbes

WKR
I don't think you're nuts if you have the time and desire. I can't really help with tactics. There may be more water available now than in August and they will definitely be pressured plenty by now unless you have some really nice private land with minimal pressure. If so, some of those animals may be there because of adjacent land pressure.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

From what I've seen in my area, the bigger bucks that are left have separated from does. Get up high, break out the glass, and find a buck without a bunch of extra eyes around them to put a stalk on. I've seen archery hunters out still while I'm carrying a rifle in the same unit, you're not too crazy!

hoodb

FNG
It's okay to use a bow during rifle season if you're determined. Waiting near water holes is a good idea, and asking farmers for permission to hunt on their land can be helpful. Wishing you the best of luck with filling your archery antelope tag!

Mt Al

WKR
Here's an "antelope archery during rifle season" almost-horror story:

About 15 years ago I was getting within rifle range of a herd that had a nice buck in the middle of the group of about 20 antelope, and another buck about 50 yards outside the group.

I sat up, set up my bipod and put my scope on the buck that was just outside the herd. Something was off, wasn't sure what and then an archery hunter sits up and starts waving his hands - that 'buck' was a nearly full sized decoy. All it didn't have was lowest part of the legs. Whoever did the colors, nailed it!

Blood drained from my face thinking about what would have happened if I'd have shot at that 'buck' if the archery hunter hadn't seen me. He quickly packed up and trotted off towards the road, a few miles away.

I don't know if you have to wear orange using a 900 antelope tag during rifle season, but I highly recommend it!