Seasoned Elk Hunter chasing 1st Archery Mule Deer

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Gents,

I have read until my eyes bleed on this forum. Not finding much about Archery Mule Deer tactics. I'm a flat-lander with 16yrs experience chasing Elk and Antelope with my bow in the west. I plan to be out there Aug 23-Sept-15(season opens Sept 1). There will be lots of Elk Hunters in the area. I've bumped tons of Muleys on hunts for elk and antelope. Problem is no pattern to where. Seems like random spots during September. I can't think of any "pattern" to where I see them. They're everywhere from Dark Timber, Brushy Creek Bottoms, and Burns. Now that they are the quarry, I'm excited and puzzled on where to start. Do you guys who chase Muleys with stick and string have a strategy to your scouting? Do you start high and move down the mountain during a week of scouting? Do you just scout as many different terrains/elevations as you can until you find them? I am versatile, and can glass from the truck, packed it, or rippin a SXS. No knock on Robby's huge wealth of knowledge, but are there any good books specifically for us archery guys?

Thank you for any advice! Happy huntin' and God bless!
Jake

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Glass until you can't stand it anymore and then keep glassing! That time of year has deer movement very limited, you need to be looking very early and very late.

Depending on terrain of course, but in my opinion high quality 15x binos on a tripod or even a BTX or something is vital!

If you are not looking into shade then you need to start. I hunt deer a bit in the desert and think they are part camel! I mean it is hot as hell and hunting water seems a waste of time where I have been.

One good thing is that if you find some bucks they are likely not going far.

They seem to like rock out croppings and steep cliffs for shade, they will dig out beds up against that stuff often.

I am no expert and hunting that time frame is tough!

I haven't made up my mind if I love them or hate them, they frustrate me more than anything else i have hunted! I am leaning toward hate...lol

Fatcamp

WKR
I hunt high desert/sagebrush.

Being set up on a vantage point before its light is critical. It's your best chance of finding the first piece to a ridiculous puzzle.

Good glass is important. I hear the Elk guys talk about how it doesn't matter. For MD it is very important.

download.jpeg

Read it, learn it, live it.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt high desert/sagebrush.

Being set up on a vantage point before its light is critical. It's your best chance of finding the first piece to a ridiculous puzzle.

Good glass is important. I hear the Elk guys talk about how it doesn't matter. For MD it is very important.

View attachment 514887

Read it, learn it, live it.
Awesome book! Focuses pretty much entirely on archery tactics. Easy read with a wealth of knowledge.

dtrkyman

WKR
I always loved Dwight, reading his magazine articles when I started bow hunting I learned a lot. I was underwhelmed by that book, maybe I should read it again?

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I always loved Dwight, reading his magazine articles when I started bow hunting I learned a lot. I was underwhelmed by that book, maybe I should read it again?
To be fair, I've always been an eastern whitetail hunter and am foreign to much of western hunting. So I found it super helpful just because it gave me a good guideline to follow, as well as a good idea of what to expect. But I agree that its not super detailed and if you already know sorta what you're doing, probably not incredibly beneficial.

Fatcamp

WKR

I suppose it has to do with where you are at in the process. For a beginner it's valuable, but just one resource. This forum has an immense amount of info on spot and stalk archery hunting.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if he’s compiled his articles into a book?

dtrkyman

WKR
That would be awesome! I learned a lot of the technical side of archery early on from Mr. Schuh.

No idea who has the rights to his work or if they are doing anything with it, I assume his family has the rights.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
That wouuld be awesome! I learned a lot of the technical side of archery early on from Mr. Schuh.

No idea who has the rights to his work or if they are doing anything with it, I assume his family has the rights.

I know his daughter was pretty involved with him towards the end. I watched a video of his last deer hunt with her but a search of YouTube just now only shows elk and moose videos associated with his name.

What a shame.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Glass is very important. I’d also say being an elk hunter the most important thing is to be reasonable on your stocks. Don’t waste your energy unless it is a killable situation. We run after elk and are aggressive that is an excellent way to make the deer run away we found. Your better off watching them walk off and try spot the next day then to blow them and never see them again.

Hot take incoming... you're only going to learn it by doing it. Books will tell you to glass, and they tell you how. That's about as far as you can really go. Mule deer in September are where they are. There may be generalities, but you need to get in there and find them. The best way to do it is to spend hours and hours behind crisp, clear optics. They don't move much during the day, so if you aren't seeing anything, move thirty yards and look again. Then again. and again, and again, and....

Well, you get my drift.

10ringer

WKR
Follow all things South Cox, He is a mule deer ninja!
He has a podcast called “the western bowhunter podcast” and its rich with hunting stories and tactics.
6868f69eb7730f65d90ee0806bf5eec7.jpg

South has a youtube channel under his bow company “stalker stickbows”. Awesome footage that will entertain and educate:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bohntr

WKR
Gents,

I have read until my eyes bleed on this forum. Not finding much about Archery Mule Deer tactics. I'm a flat-lander with 16yrs experience chasing Elk and Antelope with my bow in the west. I plan to be out there Aug 23-Sept-15(season opens Sept 1). There will be lots of Elk Hunters in the area. I've bumped tons of Muleys on hunts for elk and antelope. Problem is no pattern to where. Seems like random spots during September. I can't think of any "pattern" to where I see them. They're everywhere from Dark Timber, Brushy Creek Bottoms, and Burns. Now that they are the quarry, I'm excited and puzzled on where to start. Do you guys who chase Muleys with stick and string have a strategy to your scouting? Do you start high and move down the mountain during a week of scouting? Do you just scout as many different terrains/elevations as you can until you find them? I am versatile, and can glass from the truck, packed it, or rippin a SXS. No knock on Robby's huge wealth of knowledge, but are there any good books specifically for us archery guys?

Thank you for any advice! Happy huntin' and God bless!
Jake
Bowhunting Mule Deer Link

6c1e38d6b4c111dcaa3322eed0798be1.jpg

I hunt the mountains - This book has some really solid archery specific tactics. More focused on the high elevation stuff, but you can glean lots of useful info for wherever you hunt. Robby’s books are by far the best IMHO. Archery and rifle tactics aren’t really any different in terms of finding a deer you want to kill. The more you can pick up on buck behavior, the better equipped you’ll be for finding them in your specific area/time of season. Podcasts can be a gold mine of nuanced info - over the years a lot of puzzles have clicked into place for me by listening to some of the consistent big buck killers. Robby, Dioni Amuchastegui, Ryan Lampers, Travis Hobbs, just to name a few that are active now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
You are fixin to embark on one of the single most frustrating hunts you could possibly do. Also the most rewarding. I've not ever found anything then mature mule deer in september