Anyone tape their ankles?

crumy

WKR
I have been continuously doing my training hikes around some parks here and I sprained my ankle about a month and 1/2 ago. I let it sit for almost a solid month before I started back... Twice now I have rolled it since then.. Not major, but definitely made it hurt.. Am thinking about getting a brace or taping it, but concerned it might cause an issue I am not aware of. I know doing it is the only way to be sure, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice on how to tape, or experience with doing this type of thing.

From what I have read, there are several different braces and ways to tape depending on issue.
My issue is on the on outside of ankle above the heel and below the ankle bone. (this is where it seems to be most tender)

Thanks

Jim

I would maybe just tape it up vs. wrapping it or putting a brace on it. You may even cinch down the laces more to give some better support. I have horrible ankles and have just learned to deal with rolling my ankles. I can somewhat "anticipate" it happening and dont put all my weight down on that leg when it decides to roll. The best thing to do is to try and strenthen the ankle. I'm sure there are countless youtube videos on different techniques. They are very touchy joints.

The main problem with taping/braces is that they only serve to further weaken the stabilization muscles you need to prevent rolling your ankles in the first place. Taping should be used as only a very short-term stop-gap, in my opinion. The best solution is doing the physical therapy needed to bring your ankles back into full strength. Have you been doing PT on the ankle you rolled?

Jim, I did the same thing this spring in my Zamberlans.

I haven't taped mine, but it is still tender months later. I see no issue with a preventative taping before a trip, and may do so this fall, depending on how it feels. Sure beats a major injury in the backcountry.

I severely sprained my ankle when I was 6 and it will still roll to this day. An mri might show more than just a sprain but either way you should probably seek out some targeted physical therapy and I would tape it for actual hunting to protect it. A sprain takes a loooong time to heal properly and continued sprianing over and over will likely make it permanent. I'd do PT and tape it for hazardous conditions.

A season does not go by where I don't roll an ankle. I pack athletic tape should it happen and bought some braces from kenetrek during my shed season and they helped get through with added support. They will be in my rig during season should the need arise or if I tweek one. I forgot to add the funny part. Last November being an old dude it was time for the ole colonoscopy. No big deal until I didn't listen to the smarter half and to sit down afterwards while in a drugged induced state and rolled my ankle putting my clothes on that stayed with me for many months later. Word to the wise listen to the wife after you been drugged:)

Last edited:
The main problem with taping/braces is that they only serve to further weaken the stabilization muscles you need to prevent rolling your ankles in the first place. Taping should be used as only a very short-term stop-gap, in my opinion. The best solution is doing the physical therapy needed to bring your ankles back into full strength. Have you been doing PT on the ankle you rolled?

Nothing specific to the ankle. But I work out 4-5 days a week... deadlifts, leg and back stuff.. and do stairs every other day

Jim, I did the same thing this spring in my Zamberlans.

I haven't taped mine, but it is still tender months later. I see no issue with a preventative taping before a trip, and may do so this fall, depending on how it feels. Sure beats a major injury in the backcountry.

I am going to do something between now and oct 1 to make sure I don't cause any blisteer problems... I am planning on doing a 8 mile hike one saturday to get some distance in.. Will probably tape for that.. Saw a video about a simple tape job that shouldn't cause any sweating or pinching.. This way I can tell if it does offer support and if it will cause foot problems

my foot doctor gave me a soft brace. it is like a sock with two velcro straps that go around the foot and ankle.

pretty stable. fits in my boots, it is thin enough. the boots will fit tighter. the doctor warned NOT to wear it too long or too often. it will make my ankle weaker in the long run.

the doc just gave it to me.

Totally agree about making it weaker. The strap sounds like the same thing the tape job does.. I may try that tomorrow and stop by a sporting goods store and get some pre-wrap foam. also found "dr jo" ankle pt... will try that too.

Sorry about everyone's ankles but it makes me feel better knowing that you guys have gone through same stuff.. I was beginning to feel like I my warranty was about to expire... old and beatup.... lol

I hurt my ankle a few years ago and still roll it to this day. Trekking poles have saved any real damage and I have a slip on brace that weighs about an ounce just in case.

I am a firm believer in having strong ankles, not fancy boots to make up for weak ankles.
I think the best thing is to only wear boots when hunting and the only reason I wear them hunting is because my gaiters cover the tops so crap don't get down inside of them.
Everywhere else it's puma speed cats or aluminium (aluminum)toed safety shoes at work. I once hiked 34miles in 42hours in crocs and seal skinz socks with a 35lb pack. Not one rolled ankle and no blisters.
There is heaps of info oh there for strengthening ankles, check it out. http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/12-ways-to-build-ankle-strength-for-top-performance

Nothing specific to the ankle. But I work out 4-5 days a week... deadlifts, leg and back stuff.. and do stairs every other day

Yeah, I used to run hurdles in college and would occasionally sprain an ankle if I hit a hurdle too hard and went down. Really the only way to fully recover an ankle is with targeted ankle physical therapy... running/lifting/plyometrics helped, but even that wouldn't be sufficient for full recovery.

I've taped mine in the past. Here is a pretty good video on how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbKqMHgGmc

It takes a little practice to do it on your own, so you may want to practice a couple of times before you tape up before your hike/hunt. I would suggest the heel and lace pads that he puts on with Skin Lube, but I don't use the spray can adhesive. A couple of tips:
1. When you wrap your pre-wrap, be careful not to have the sides of the pre-wrap "roll up". If you leave the edges rolled up, they likely will create a blister and be uncomfortable. Most times when that happens you can pull and tear that rolled up section off and continue the tape job.
2. When you do the stirrup, be sure to start on the inside of your leg like the video, and when you bring the stirrup under your foot, be sure to add a little (not too much) tension when you pull up and place the end of the stirrup tape on the tape anchors at the top. This tension in the tape on the outside will help with the problem you are having with the weakness between the ankle bone and bottom of your foot.
3. Just place a small amount of skin lube on the middle of the heel and lace pads about the size of a nickel. Place them like the video shows to help prevent blisters, as those areas are where your ankle flexes a lot and friction will build up at those spots from the tape and pre-wrap. The skin lube will help prevent blisters in those areas by lubricating those spots.

I bought the athletic tape, pre-wrap, skin lube, heel and lace pads from ithica sports online. I'm sure there are other places to get this stuff, but I couldn't find the heel and lace pads & skin lube easily locally - maybe you can.

http://www.ithacasports.com/

I also bought some Mueller self adhesive blister pads and luekotape, as I tend to get blisters on my heels. I place a blister pad on my heels with two overlapping strips of luekotape to keep it in place. This won't help with your ankle issues, but just thought I would throw it out for anyone that has heel blister issues.

I've used the McDavid ankle braces in college with high top cleats and they do take up some space in the shoe. You may want to bring your hunting boots to the store and try the brace on with your hunting socks and boots to see if it is too bulky, or if it works for you.

YouTube has a multitude of ankle strengthening excercises. You can work on these to help get your ankle as strong as you can up to your hunting season.

Taping is very skill dependent for the person doing the taping and loses much of its rigidity/support very quickly. For a prolonged effort, a brace makes much more sense. It can be loosened during inactive times, tightened when necessary, wont' cause skin problems like tape can, etc.

Bracing is more effective than tape.

Proprioception and well conditioned lower extremities are more effective than bracing...

Back