Heel slip - traditional methods are not solving it. Need boot recs or unconventional methods

Hi - as you can tell by the title I have some generic and normal concerns/issues with my ongoing attempt to find a solid boot. If there are other threads/posts I missed that answer the question then feel free to post a link.

I didn't see answers for what I am specifically interested in hearing feedback on and since this is a somewhat important topic I thought I'd ask members. And thank you in advance.

Is there a boot brand known for a snug ankle and heel and normal width and normal or average forefoot volume??
Any insole recommendations?
Are insoles that add height to heel level counter to preventing heel slip?
Tape up ankle/heel?

My heel and the achilles seem to be flat so there isn't much keeping the heel inplace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Context:
Typically a size 10.
Boots seem to run large or I am oversized in my typical trail runners cause the 10s from Asolo, Salomon, Lowa all were too roomy.
Tried lacing techniques and green superfeet. starting to think adding any elevation to the heel is making it worse and no insole would be a better route.

I purchased these and need to return them or figure out how to stop slip. I would love it if the caminos would work.
Asolo Drifter GTX size 10
-too much room in toe box w/ insole.
-when tied tight to lock heel, I get ankle pain and lose some circulation.
-not a terrible fit or heel slip but not acceptable.

Lowa Camino EVO GTX size 9.5
- great lacing system allowed for a snug forefoot (is this not always the best route?)
- heel was slipping without the insole.
- is this due to lack of break in?

fishslap

WKR
Scarpa kinesis pro and sheep feet fixed my issues. I never thought a stiffer boot would but they’re awesome after 20-50 miles of break in. Scarpa kailash and superfeet trailblazer for a bit more flexible / simple solution.

Invest in stretching your feet, ankles, and lower legs regularly. This will help your feet and ankles move with the boot versus against it. Get one of these among other stretches:
Limited-time deal: StrongTek Professional Wooden Slant Board, Adjustable Incline Board and Calf Stretcher, Stretch Board - Extra Side-Handle Design for Portability https://a.co/d/9wW1YYM

Use Leuko tape on your heels to prevent blisters.

This doesn’t answer all of your questions but it’s what I did.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Yea, the Scarpa Kenesis Pro is your ticket.

Amazing boot.

I have tried, bought and worn quite a few different makes and models of mountain hikers/ hunting boots. The Kenesis Pro is designed to grip the heel area and around the achilles. Amazing. It is very noticeable just tying them on... and they become more and more comfortable as you wear them in.

If they made a boot like this in a winter high shaft and a summer (hot) design I would buy all three and never look back... and be set for anything.

I didn't mention it, but they are also built like a tank. Very well made.

OP
B
Yea, the Scarpa Kenesis Pro is your ticket.

Amazing boot.

I have tried, bought and worn quite a few different makes and models of mountain hikers/ hunting boots. The Kenesis Pro is designed to grip the heel area and around the achilles. Amazing. It is very noticeable just tying them on... and they become more and more comfortable as you wear them in.

If they made a boot like this in a winter high shaft and a summer (hot) design I would buy all three and never look back... and be set for anything.

I didn't mention it, but they are also built like a tank. Very well made.
I am sold. I am looking to order a pair asap.
Are these true to size? Any boot you could compare the size to as being the same?

Marble

WKR
Trying on different boots in the store is the only way I can find the right boot. I wear a 15, and at that size, widths and heels are variable. I have been taking a pair of insoles I got from Lathrop and Sons and moving them from boot to boot. Crispi Nevada and Lowa Rangers. On my insulated Crispi's, I found putting two sets of insoles in made the fit much better. I had the right length and width, but my foot is thin, wide and long. So sometimes I need a thick insole, or double. If the front isn't fitting exactly right, then my heel will slip. Point being, evaluate if the front is perfect. I've found if the front is not, then the back will not fit right either.

Sometimes experimenting with a stiffer or more flexible boot will fix it too.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the Scarpa's don't work, might try Crispi. I find their boots to fit pretty precisely at the heel and midfoot, but still allowing for a roomy toe box.

I'd say my feet are average- not narrow, not wide, but with a lot of the other boots I tried, I was too cramped in the toe box. Crispi's have been perfect.

Sadly the only way to get the right fitting boot is trying a lot of boots, good luck in your search!

manitou1

WKR
I am sold. I am looking to order a pair asap.
Are these true to size? Any boot you could compare the size to as being the same?
Yes, true to size.
It is hard to compare... maybe my older Meindls as far as comfort and foot hugging.
Supposedly the newer Meindls run big now though.These just fit very different as far as "hugging" the feet in the right places without feeling tight.???

I do prefer the fit over Lowas, Zamberlan, Crispi, Kenetrek and Whites. I wear several of these still today, but the Scarpas are my favorites.

They are a mountain boot with a stiff sole, but I prefer that for my uses.

OP
B
Thank you - much appreciated. Going to order the Kenesis and Kailash. Also a few Salewas seem worth a shot.

Crispis can be tried on in a local shop so if any I try are an instant success then I will go with them.

Honestly might just drive to Vegas and spend a day at gohunt to try on whatever they have in inventory out of the boots im interested in.

I just got a pair of salewa ravens they grab my heel and lock it in like no other boot I’ve tried they are a stiff boot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat, I have finally found “the boot” for my narrow bony ankles- the Crispi Briksdals. I couldn’t try on Scarpa anywhere but I hear the same on those. They lock in even better than my Zamberlains.
If your narrow heels come with a narrow foot I’d steer clear of the Nevada’s those have a lot of volume.

ToolMann

WKR
I’m in the same boat, I have finally found “the boot” for my narrow bony ankles- the Crispi Briksdals. I couldn’t try on Scarpa anywhere but I hear the same on those. They lock in even better than my Zamberlains.
If your narrow heels come with a narrow foot I’d steer clear of the Nevada’s those have a lot of volume.
Probably my next boot. I am wearing the Valdres now that has the narrower last like the Briksdale. My wife just got a pair of Briksdales last weekend. I'll probably go with the Briksdale Mtn to sta with the 3 Flex rating.

OP
B
The briksdals have something in the right heel pocket that pokes my right heel. It happened on both the booth that I wore in both of them were different sizes so I guess it’s just something that’s in all of them. I love that booth, and I almost just dealt with the pain so I could wear it

OP
B
But scarpa Kinesis pro are just amazing. No heel slip even when adding an insert. They’re a bit heavy and require a lot of breaking in but I was cutting through some switch backs going down hill and it was like I was skiing.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl has a number of backcountry boots with a more narrow heel pocket and wider toe box for just the feel you are looking for. Might also be worth a look if you have not already made a purchase.

LostArra

WKR
I find it impossible to "lock" anything on a boot that uses factory laces that are essentially paracord that will always stretch. Proper lacing techniques require proper laces which I have not seen provided with any boots although I've not tried them all. Sometimes during a long hunt I will have to retie my boots since feet can swell.

Same situation with insoles. Most factory insoles are junk even in expensive boots.

Someone on this board (Trial153 maybe? thanks) recommended waxed kevlar laces and for me they have been the answer for "locking" my boot to my foot along with adjusted lacing and lace tying technique.

Both KG Boot Guard Extreme and Benchmark laces have worked well for me in all my hiking/hunting boots or shoes.