Anyone carry their rifle in hand while hunting in the mountains?

bruno747

FNG
I use a boonie/safari sling so it takes almost nothing to go from being in the sling to shouldered and ready to fire. Not such a big deal here out west, but it was a game changer for younger me hunting whitetail back in missouri.

Forgot to mention that I don't "sling" my rifle or strap it in a boot, either. It simply just hangs loose from the metal frame of my pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
95% of the time in my hands. Usually a gun bearer if not. Sometimes a sling.

Iv missed opportunity because my rifle was not in my hands.

I carry a sling in my pack. The only time I sling my rifle is when I’m dragging or packing meat.

Where I hunt much of the time I only have seconds to make the shot. A slung rifle eliminates the opportunity.

P

I do not even own a rifle sling anymore. Every so often it will get strapped to my pack. But otherwise it is in my hands.

Mine is always attached to my pack or in a scabbard until I see an animal. I use trekking poles, so in hand is not an option unless I am closing that final distance to get a shot.

Macintosh

WKR
most of my mountain hunting is in the east, my "glassing" is looking ahead 100 yards to the next thick area or blowdown to see a bedded deer watching its back trail. Unless I'm on a particularly steep/slick spot where I need both hands, gun is in hand or on a 2-point sling across my chest. I can still grab trees on a steep spot, steady myself on a side-hill, glass with both hands that way, and rifle is still accessible for a fast shot.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
In hand mostly unless I need to climb bad terrain. Then strapped to pack. I like being able to get a rifle into action quickly if needed.

I use a sling, but it's a Mountain Shooter loop sling for stability. It works for shoulder carry, but it is primary for aiming stability. I take it off if in tight bush stalking to keep from catching on things.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I like to carry my kimber in hand, but anything bigger and I typically put it in the SG rifle carrier on my pack. I’ve quickly had to release the rifle to get it in hand and shoot a deer, but it’s undeniably quicker/easier when it’s already in your hand.

6.5x284

WKR
I keep it in my gun bearer for most hunting. When approaching an area where I anticipate an opportunity I will hold it for awhile and adjust my scope power and parallax for the expected shot opportunity. Once I'm past that area back in the gun bearer. I will say in many years of hunting, there is one bull I could have shot if my gun was in my hand and not on the gun bearer. Luckily he was small and I would have passed him anyway. Everything else I've always had plenty of time to remove and shoulder the rifle.

In hand 100% of the time. This was drilled into my brain by my Father from as young as I can remember. Its certainly come in to play on many hunts having had animals i hadn't realized were there jump up in front of me and i was able to get a shot.

How many of you carry your rifle in your hand, from the moment you leave the truck and head into the mountains, until your tag is filled?

Have you always done it, did you get frustrated with slings/carrying apparatuses, or did you miss an opportunity on an animal because it took you too long to deploy the rifle and decided to carry it from that moment forward?
I mainly go with rifle in hand. The reason being that most of my hunts don’t require me to have two hands to assist myself up hills. I’m mainly on flat ground or slight inclines while getting to my spots.

However not opposed to sling option as well.

BT_707

FNG
Sling or gun harness 95% of time. Upgraded to a biathlon sling and really enjoy the hands free.