Anyone appendix carry with an RMR/MRD?

As my eyes age and I've invested in a handful of MRD/MRO "dots" I really like them. I am very much considering changing out my long time CC from a 43X to a G45 and really consider adding a Dot.

If anyone carries similar in Appendix....any issues with skin/sweat/or kydex messing with the optic? Kydex press against the adjustment buttons? I am a lefty and on the RMR I think the LED adjustments would be on the contact side for me.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had an RMR on a G19 since 2018 and mostly appendix carry it in a Tenicor. I’ve had zero issues with it. With that being said, there are better options than the RMR out there now. Also, if you’re comfortable with the 43X, the G19 might be a better option than the G45, especially for concealed carry.

Not personal experience...

But a buddy of mine works outside in Texas and always appendix carries with a red dot.

If you get a holster that's compatible with an optic it shouldn't touch the buttons at all. I leave my optic on the locked mode so it wouldn't matter either way. Only thing for me is the lens gets covered in lint and needs to be wiped off occasionally. I just ordered the holosun EPS carry so I won't have to worry about that anymore tho. The pistol optics are so small now I don't notice them while carrying

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Glock 48MOS with a TLR-7sub and Holosun 407K in a LAS Concealment Saya 2.0 on a Phlster Enigma LC appendix rig. Biggest issue I have with it is dust/lint on the glass but it's not enough to restrict seeing the dot and after the first round fired it'd probably be cleared off.

OP
J
I’ve had an RMR on a G19 since 2018 and mostly appendix carry it in a Tenicor. I’ve had zero issues with it. With that being said, there are better options than the RMR out there now. Also, if you’re comfortable with the 43X, the G19 might be a better option than the G45, especially for concealed carry.
What’s a better option than RMR?

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
He’s probably going to say Holosun or maybe Sig. Personally, the cost seems to be close enough that I still stick with Trijicon for carry guns.

I’d also agree with others on the G19 over the G45. If I had to deal with hiding the longer grip then I’d just go with a G17.

Jmort1754

WKR
What is better than an RMR?

OP
J
Dont want to get chippy. Some valid points. Was dead set to snag a G19 Gen 5.

My firearm experience is "extensive". Several decades. Competition at times. I had both 19 and 45 in hand this week.

I am 230 pounds and an XL shirt. I am going to opt for the extra 3/8" of grip. I don't see that as a Game Changer. That's just me and my opion for my use. I think adding the RMR is going to be way more Clunky than a 3/8" grip extension.

I own G43X, G19, G22, G34 and G40. My wife has the G19 gen 3. I shot it the other day after a long lay off. Recoil speed and impulse was so cozy. Hence my desire to replace with one for myself. Having L to XL mitts....I dont see a G45 extra grip being terrrible.

It's below 60F most of the year in my environment. Not at all difficult to dress around the extra 3/8".

If I do...the 43X INCOG rig is right there.

I just personally feel the odds of my needing to engage a situation while off duty increase exponentially by the day. My time is coming. I'd prefer more rounds, not in an aftermarket Shield magazine......and an optic.

My mindset is changing from What will conceal and work, to What is a true Offensive advantage and urban environment engagement tool.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
What’s a better option than RMR?
The RMR type 2 was an amazing design. It is undeniably tough and can take can literally take a beating, but it does have it’s drawbacks that other RD sights have fixed. Specifically, it’s open emitter design and the fact that you have to completely remove it from the slide to change the battery.

Depending on the weather where you live, an open emitter might not be a huge issue. Where I live, we get enough rain and snow that I’ve had issues with my dot washing out. I’ve also had dirt/debris interfere with the emitter and block my dot. If I were to buy another one, it would have to be a closed emitter.

I‘ve had the opportunity to shoot many of the RD sights on the market and the Aimpoint Acro is my favorite. I found it to be the most intuitive design. I’ve carried it appendix and have had no issues even though it’s a little bigger. A couple guys on my team are currently using a closed emitter Holosun and have really liked them so far as well.

If you can, go shoot a bunch of them and see what you like.

OP
J
Have a brand new Holosun 508 T Gen 2 in the box.

But I was offered a price on the Trijicon Dual Defense kit I could not resist. So co witnessed sights and the Type 2 RMR will be added to the new G45.

I could bounce the RMR to a different firearm, but don't see that happening.

Will report back if I have issues.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Daily carry ... Trijicons and Holosun hold up fine with zero issues. Due to low back injuries and fusions, the pressure of a 3-4 o'clock carry position creates lots of pain as it shifts spinal alignment for me. Appendix causes no issues for me OR the firearm. Usually the sweatguard can be cut to avoid the possibility of button contact. If you are considering the G48, you may want to look at the p365xl. I used to carry all Glock but have be working with the Sig for about 5 years and wouldn't go back. (With the Magguts springs, I get a 14rd mag that feeds even better than the 12 round stock!)

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I carry AIWB whenever I carry. I do the Sigp365XL with 15 rounders and the Holosun 407k. No issues with that setup through a few thousand rounds.

I will say depending on the season and my training routines if I am carrying 3-5 more lbs than usual the AIWB isn't as comfortable as when I am in shape. But it is still my preferred carry method.

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
G19 and rmr, no issues. Love my tenicor holster as well. When I decide to throw the surefire x300 on is the only time things can get uncomfortable. Wish I went g45.

I have a g19 / rmr and a p365xl with a compact dot. both carry and conceal fairly well. A g19 with an RMR is a lot of fun to have stuffed in the front of your pants. Having said that, it works. The only time mine seems to bother me is when I sit for a long time I get some soreness around the muzzle when it protrudes into my skin.

def90

WKR
Kydex holster will not mess with the sight or buttons and probably won't feel any different wearing it to you with or without the RMR option.

I would go to a range that rents handguns and see if they have the handgun you want with the RMR option available to rent and shoot it to see if you even like it in the first place. I'd be more concerned about that then the holster issues.

JD Jones

WKR
RMR in my experience has no true equal. There are good options but it’s hard to beat the trij…. With practice they become invaluable and I say carry with confidence

11boo

WKR
I have a dot on one gun, I am not sold on the concept for my EDC.
Yes, it works well, but holy cow the dust and lint on the lens. It needs cleaned after 3 days or so. I’m not going to unload the gun more than necessary just to dust off the lens. Constantly chambering carry ammo is never a good idea.

My other point is I can still shoot very well out to 20 yards with irons. That is more than enough for a guy like me. I have no illusions of needing to pull off head shots at a distance where a dot would be a superior tool.

if you like your dot, keep your dot. For me, it is just another point of failure on a close quarter weapon.

OP
J
I have a g19 / rmr and a p365xl with a compact dot. both carry and conceal fairly well. A g19 with an RMR is a lot of fun to have stuffed in the front of your pants. Having said that, it works. The only time mine seems to bother me is when I sit for a long time I get some soreness around the muzzle when it protrudes into my skin.
Well no schitt....lol. (DJ don't get spun up...these are jokes). If I am driving more than 20 minutes or planning to sit for a long period of time....I find a work around. Aint nobody want a gun muzzle grinding man roots n bones for any amount of time.

I will occassionally get a groin lymph node that swell and itches from too much appendix carry.