Any reason why mountain house went smaller size with there meals?

I almost always come back from a hunting trip Having lost maybe a pound. Since I’m about 20 pounds overweight, I think the reduced portions might be a good thing. It’s like Weight Watchers only I don’t have to pay extra. Now if I can just figure out how to reduce my portions of M&Ms.

I've been using the same hair product for
I almost always come back from a hunting trip Having lost maybe a pound. Since I’m about 20 pounds overweight, I think the reduced portions might be a good thing. It’s like Weight Watchers only I don’t have to pay extra. Now if I can just figure out how to reduce my portions of M&Ms.

I started my 2022 elk hunt at 150+, and when I got home I was 137 or so. I tend to lose about a pound a day.

Drenalin

WKR
I've been using the same hair product for
I would personally like to see where this goes, especially in the context of Mountain House meals, which I have often suspected might have even more adverse effects than what they do to my gut.

fishslap

WKR
I like the smaller meals and packaging. I’m not even sure the contents are that much smaller for the servings listed, but the packaging is. I usually have trouble finishing most mountain house. Meals like heathers choice seem smaller.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tend to lose about a pound a day.
Yep, the last several years I've averaged a loss of a pound per day while elk hunting. I'll normally be at 220 when I start, and get down to right at 200 when I'm done. I average right at 20 days a season. Then it takes me 11 months to get it all back again. I'm a little ahead of schedule this year at 215 already. That should put me at 222-223 by elk season.

rideold

WKR
Funny, I didn't even notice they changed things. I did have a few moments where I thought "hey, didn't the spaghetti used to have more calories" but didn't look into it.

I would be curious to know how much of that net weight loss is attributable to packaging versus how much is a content reduction. Also, to the point of Eddie's post, how much difference did a reconfigured recipe make.

It seems like some times I eat an entire freeze dried meal and follow it up with a brick of ramen or something. While other days I might have to force down the last few sporkfuls. Personally, I would prefer to err on the heavy side when it comes to my food.

rideold

WKR
Peak refuel has more calories, but they are $12 on sale $14-$15 when not on sale where I live. They are extremely high in fats to get those calories on most of the recipes. I can’t ever finish one, and typically feel like crap after eating more than half of one.
Yea, Peak Refuel has crazy high saturate fats! I stick with Mountain House as well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Money is the reason.

I would imagine the average Mtn. House consumer was never eating close to the 2.5 servings they came in and that feedback may have played into it. How much bear conditioning happened out there where people had to bury or improperly dump half their uneaten mtn. house? I'd typically mix two bags, separate into 3 meals, and still rarely eat it all. So this serving size is more what I'm looking for, just wish the price had lowered with the serving size......
LOL! i've never not eaten an entire MTN house and often dump 1/3 bag of dehydrated spuds in. Oink oink.

OP, I've seen these smaller bags around for years at retailers. Accidentally bought some and saw my life flash before my eyes when I got to camp and realized what I'd done.

You sure the bigger size wasn't on the site and you misordered?

tam9492

WKR
I would be curious to know how much of that net weight loss is attributable to packaging versus how much is a content reduction. Also, to the point of Eddie's post, how much difference did a reconfigured recipe make.

It seems like some times I eat an entire freeze dried meal and follow it up with a brick of ramen or something. While other days I might have to force down the last few sporkfuls. Personally, I would prefer to err on the heavy side when it comes to my food.
I believe net weight is a measure of the contents. Packaging is irrelevant. Otherwise, they’d list as gross weight.

Old guy, grew up hearing about people starving in China. Couldnt imagine throwing out throwing out freeze dried mountain house while hunting . Lick the container when im done . No-way am i starving out there if i get lost . Dont want regrets . Lol

*zap*

WKR
they would never go out of business with the tens of millions of meals the government buys each year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
People complaining about same money for

They should just sell at a loss and go out of business!
No, they should continue with their normal meal sizes and just raise the prices if they need to. I'll pay higher prices for what I use........I won't pay the same or higher price for less than I use. Heck, it wasn't long ago that I'd eat two of the full size 2.5 serving MH meals in one meal.

I would personally like to see where this goes, especially in the context of Mountain House meals, which I have often suspected might have even more adverse effects than what they do to my gut.
Man, that was an artifact of a thought I had but didn't care to finish!