Any other insurance agents here?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I have 35 years of owning my insurance agency. It seems the insurance industry is headed to a total collapse. I am now starting to look at a job change. I have several companies not accepting any new business and a few pulling out of the State. Just wonder what other are thinking.

cday34

FNG
Seeing the same issues as you with certain carriers especially personal lines. But have new commercial carriers stepping in. On pace to have a very good commercial year. Things have definitely been harder as of late but don't have any plans to jump ship.

Not an agent, but I’m curious. Is the business going down the tubes In some states because of all the fires and floods?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been an agent for 15 years. No issues in ND so far, but sure is interesting times.
Ohh we are heading into the hardest market in a long time. You will see property rates start going through the roof. Think 30 to 100% increases1-3 years for everything. For the first time in 30 years working for the largest brokers in the world I am seeing 100% uninsurable properties, commercial and personal. Auto ins is a mess nationwide as well. Only solid market right now is WC and not going to help you in ND of course.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have 35 years of owning my insurance agency. It seems the insurance industry is headed to a total collapse. I am now starting to look at a job change. I have several companies not accepting any new business and a few pulling out of the State. Just wonder what other are thinking.
It's not a collapse, just going to be very tough, but you are going to make a lot more money. Agents will be fine, customers are in for a sad rude awakening. Ins carriers have been losing a lot of money for a while in certain sectors, capacity for reinsurance on property has dried up. Auto is most major cities is loser as well and carriers are sick of it all going to attorneys. California lost the largest insurers in the country and world, Florida same deal. Nevada and several other states are no better. If you are on the broker side you will do great, if I was a captive I would be scared.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not an agent, but I’m curious. Is the business going down the tubes In some states because of all the fires and floods?
Brush fires are a huge issue, property in general has had a net industry loss now for about 20 years, Commercial auto ins is costing 5-10k for a basic commercial PU now in lots of states and most carriers don't even want it at that price. Attorneys and run away juries from decades of negative ins company sentiment has made it almost unsustainable in a lot of places.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
You really think a independent agent will do well in this market? I have two auto companies that are pulling out of the State. It sums up to about 200 households. All of my other companies are going to full payment or at least 50% down payment options. I am afraid I will not have a market for a lot of my customers.
I have been bombarded with people wanting quotes that have been with current company for 20 years. I have been writing a few, but finding a company that will even offer a quote is getting tough.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You really think a independent agent will do well in this market? I have two auto companies that are pulling out of the State. It sums up to about 200 households. All of my other companies are going to full payment or at least 50% down payment options. I am afraid I will not have a market for a lot of my customers.
I have been bombarded with people wanting quotes that have been with current company for 20 years. I have been writing a few, but finding a company that will even offer a quote is getting tough.
Yes, we are seeing huge increases. You will lose some clients for sure, but someone the increases make it up and some carrier will give you prices at insane prices and sadly most companies will pay it. I have been watching auto get worse and worse for a decade now. Last renewal was an expiring 150k account that renewed at 325k and that was the lowest of 3 quotes, 25 declines and it's not that bad of an account. Sadly the insured has no choice, sucks. It's hard, you have to really dig deep to help folks anymore. Super stressed out every day this year, I might make more money, but could die of stress also. I work for one of the largest brokers in the world, I am seeing it every day. Find your markets. Folks think insurance is expensive until you can't buy it then they know the real price. I know of an area in Utah with 5-10 million dollars homes that are now basically uninsurable, having to get a crap surplus lines policy for 10x what they were paying.

KHNC

WKR
I have been an agent in NC/SC for 32 years now. Commercial is very strong for me right now with contractors. Lots of grading and building going on. I still do home , auto and everything else too. I would not want to start over.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I think homeowners premiums have to go sky high and also high deductibles. I wouldn’t be surprised to see $7,500 home premiums with $5k-$10k deductibles in the not so far future for your average house.

Weldor

WKR
I know I received a notice of cancellation for my cabin, they said wildfire risk and are dropping coverage. This of course is after 22 years of no claims and on time paymments. Maybe the share holders should take less of a cut.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think homeowners premiums have to go sky high and also high deductibles. I wouldn’t be surprised to see $7,500 home premiums with $5k-$10k deductibles in the not so far future for your average house.
I got a quote recently for a new home. They quoted almost $6500/yr and with what equates to a $20k deductible for hail and wind. Hail is our most frequent claim around here, and a $20k deductible will pay for a new roof. So that coverage is worthless to me. My concern is always a total loss or almost total. Everything else I can take care of myself. But since the house is in a high fire risk area, insurance will be high regardless.

KenLee

WKR
Collapse?
Is that what they call an insurance company not clearing $10 billion for the year?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know I received a notice of cancellation for my cabin, they said wildfire risk and are dropping coverage. This of course is after 22 years of no claims and on time paymments. Maybe the share holders should take less of a cut.
Going to be a lot of this.... Share with us, what else you find please.

Last edited:

CJohnson

WKR
Can someone lay this out in layman’s terms? I haven’t had any issues getting coverage on my house or business stuff other than premiums keep increasing on par with everything else.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can someone lay this out in layman’s terms? I haven’t had any issues getting coverage on my house or business stuff other than premiums keep increasing on par with everything else.
Basically, property insurance has had it's worst few years ever, about 27 billion in underwriting losses. Some places like CA, FL, TX, etc will see it a lot worse. Lot of carriers are leaving states completely like State Farm. Nationwide, etc leaving California completely. The reinsurance carriers in Europe are either increasing their rates a ton or decided to take on a lot less exposure to property and auto. Father in law in Alabama just saw a 400.00 hike this year on his simple home, I have friends in Utah who can't even buy home insurance at all right now from anyone. If you are in a high brush zone that's going to be an issue. Commercial trucks in Las Vegas would have been about 1,200 a unit say 10 years ago, now it's 5 to 10k per truck and very few if any carriers want it at all even at those insane prices. Some Condos in Florida are seeing increases of 1,000% this year. It's just all starting right now, seem to be brewing and all the carriers seem a bit panicked. Stuff I would have had quotes for in the past easy, are all declines now, non-renewals flooding in every day. Been though hard markets where rates went sky high, but never seem so many just flat declines like this. What's your biz and where located? Low risk stuff will likely be ok, just might see some 10,20, 30% rate hikes in the next 1-2 years. I see the carriers focusing on states that have better laws, easier DOI to work with, less brush and storm exposure.

Last edited:

jayhawk

WKR
So basically the insurance companies are losing their shirts because they have to do their job and pay to repair/replace peoples property after so many years of raking in the dough? And they’re increasing prices to make up for the losses after all the fires and property value increases?
Am I understanding this right?