Anoraks....any Love?

I am a certifed Gear Whore. I have several thousand wrapped up in clothing. Just kind of a Hobby. And I get so much joy out of finding a piece that really works or fits into my system for how I use things.

I live kinda rural. I walk the dogs off trail and in moose, cat and deer country 300ish days per year. This is my Gear Testing time. I generally carry a handgun...simply because I can. May have to euthanize a dog. Someone else's dog. Burn down a Cat. Whatever. So I test holsters and handgun combos looking for Happy.

In the winter it's generally dark or getting dark during winter months after I get home from work. I carry a headlamp. Cell phone. Sometimes the controller for e-collars depending on who isn't listening this week. Just trinkets kinda.

Getting home after work and walking through the door.....and the dogs go Ape Schitt. So I quickly change out. for the daily loop.

An Anorak.....to me....sounds perfect. Just pull it on. Big pocket already filled with my trinkets....and go. Sure I could do this with a sling bag, my Rogan Belt, etc.

But an Anorak simply sounds perfect. I have the Filson Mackinaw Wool Anorak. In my region...this is the Winter that Never Was. Only saw sub 0 temps for a few days. Used that Anorak two days. Nice. Filled the bill.

I need a more 3 Season Anorak. Wind and Rain resistant.

Any Anorak fans or users? Any suggestions on a direction to look? I thougth the New Zealand companies....Swazi? Was big on Anorak type pull over? Fjallraven has one that is spendy. And their G-1000 looks to be a Poly/Cotton blend. Not sure that's what I want but it appears to be Tin Cloth esque? They seem to support Hunting also. Have a few of their pieces....it Sri Lanka or other. Nothing made in Sweden.

Last edited:
I like the concept of anoraks but seem to grab a full zip for my “serious” outings. I have a “bushcrafter” wool version made by a boutique. It is cool but it doesn’t get a lot of use honestly. Filson has their wool and shelter cloth versions. Love their stuff. Both tempt me but I haven’t pulled the trigger. The Swazi stuff looks badass and Aaron Snyder was high on them for a while.

I have a fjallraven jacket In G1000. Cool. Well built. Expensive. I don’t think it had any waterproofing at all so I waxed it. It’s still a cool jacket but the wax made the exterior look “weird”. Almost oily and somewhat dirty. It also helped make the jacket somewhat water resistant but not completely, somewhere below a decent soft shell with some leaks. the point is, now I have a fairly pricey jacket that isn’t all that great looking for around town wear and isn’t all that weather resistant for field use. YMMV but I would buy one again. FWIw W I have a set of their hiking pants that I like but they aren’t all that water resistant either.

OP
J
Bought my wife X2 pair of the Fjallraven Keb trousers. They're catching on in NW MT a bit. She doesnt get out in the tules like I do, but at least I got Hands On the G-1000.

I also gathered that Aron was high on the Swazi a while back. With so many Sitka/FL/Kuiu options for dedicated hunting gear.....not much room left.

I have all that stuff. Lots of it.

For some really dumb reason I want that hood and pocket combo!

I have several of these type of jackets. Two are made by Patagonia and I’ve got one made by Enlightened Equipment. I wear them all the time.

I have the kings xkg anorak and love it for my whitetail hunts. Have never tried an anorak for western hunting and that particular one that I use would be terrible out west but in context of liking it, it’s pretty awesome. This thread has me looking into other ones now seeing that there are other options mentioned.

yfarm

WKR
The real deal

Last edited: