Any Engineers on Here

So I've decided to continue my education...I'm currently a Building Mechanic, formerly a Welder with an Associate's in Welding and some HVAC training. I'm stagnant where I am and anything else I've found in the area is a lateral move where I give up benefits for more pay. I want to go up and do more. I have free tuition through my job and I'm registered for classes starting in the summer. Right now I'm declared for an Industrial Technologies Degree that is geared at management in Industrial settings, but I'm considering Electrical or Mechanical Engineering as well. There's a good amount of classes that are required for all 3 so I don't have to decided today, but... Electrical and Mech Engineering would be longer and harder but I wanna set myself for good options in a rural isolated area. Big industries around here are construction, mills, mines etc, with some limited manufacturing. I've always felt like someone with Trade's experience and an Engineering degree would be pretty useful? Seems like Mech engineering might eventually allow for some remote options? I know my grandpa did alot of engineering consulting in retirement, which would be a good option to look forward to in the future. I'm interested in input and experience from anyone in these fields. I'm 35 with no kids and I'll be working full-time if that makes a difference.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm not an engineer but I took a year of EE classes in college as a requirement for my major.

I still have nightmares about the homework from those classes. Spend three hours figuring out the amperage and voltage across each component in this system...ok, now let's change this resistor to a capacitor AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

Going back to the fundamentals for an engineering B.S. is tough. How good are you at math?

I work in the R&D industry, but we have a lot of technologists that turn into engineers, though I will say there's usually a noticeable difference between a M.S./PhD electrical engineer and tradesman that squeaked out an online EE B.S. That's not intended to be insulting, but they're *usually* different types of people (arguably the bachelors level people are much more productive and efficient), but in the R&D world the advanced degrees are rewarded higher.

You're right about the value of experience and a base level of technical aptitude.

Full time, that's a 4 year degree. Half time (which really means all your free time) means at least 8 typically. It's a drag (I'm trying to finish my PhD while working now and it SUCKS).

I'd recommend shooting for an associates first, getting some sort of promotion, then continuing on if it suits you. If you have a good company they'll give you opportunities.

I will say EE is much harder (math, science) than ME in my experience taking both undergrad courses. You'd really have to enjoy linear algebra to dive into EE, while ME can be a bit more applied (for mechanical design, not materials science/thermo stuff).

Rich M

WKR
Engineering is a lot of math - how's your calculus and differential equations knowledge?

Also - for consulting, you need to have experience and PE to make that work. Long term goal there.

wildcat33

WKR
Im a consulting engineer in mining. If you have mining in your area, depending on the type, can offer you a lot. Even potential for travel or relocation at some point. A mining specific degree will set you up to be in the front office rather than turning wrenches. Geologic engineer (mix of geology and geotechnical) is in high demand as well. PM me and I can offer what I know.

Here's the advice I give others considering an engineering degree: do not under any circumstances set yourself up to be chained down working for a company. That being said, you'll have to play the silly game of occupational licensing and get your PE when it's time.

If you're considering mechanical, go that route and with your background in welding and HVAC, that's where I'd keep my focus. Being an independent consulting/design engineer with your own little firm is hands down where you'd want to end up. This will allow you to tap into a lot of industries that require airflow.

Doing an associates first can sometimes delay the bachelor's as there is different coursework for each, depending on the university you go through.

southLA

WKR
It's a whole lot of math. My job now is way easier and less stressful than when I was going through undergrad; grad school were some of the best years of my life. I can't imagine going back through a bachelors program now, but there certainly were older classmates of mine. Good luck to you either way.

Kurts86

WKR
The problem with going back for an engineering degree is the math required before you get anything into applied engineering thought. 4 semesters of calculus is usually where people quit engineering and it’s an even larger barrier to going back to school. If you can get past that you are golden.

With your background definitely look at mechanical engineering as already mentioned. EE is harder and less applicable to what you already have experience with.

I guess it depends what you're after. I'm a ME, but I haven't worked as an actual engineer since 2011 or so. I went back to school and got an MBA and eventually a PMP certification and I've been in project and program management since then. I've only worked for manufacturers. I think engineering is a tough way to go for the pay. In my friend circle I think I am one of the least paid, the other also being an engineer. My other friends make multiple 6 figures in sales and as an entrepreneur.

I think you'd likely do better learning a trade like HVAC, working as a one man shop, and then eventually building it out and hiring folks and you just cash checks. You've got to have the personality for it though.

I have an MS in Aero. I started in the cubicle aero grind but I've worked as a manufacturing engineer for the last 9 years. It's funny how the grass always seems greener. Frequently I think about telling my kids to skip college and become proficient at a trade. Seems like around here, if you worked for yourself and built a solid reputation, you could make as much money as you felt like working. Some of the plumbers around here...good grief.

That said, an engineering degree is one of the few degrees I truly think is worth pursuing. It can be very challenging, and there is plenty of demand for good engineers that are able to communicate effectively. It wouldn't be a bad choice. Just make sure you understand what jobs will become available as an engineer and how that matches your lifestyle. A lot of engineering jobs will be office based in a city or suburbia.

CB4

WKR
Engineering recruiter here. Remote work in mechanical engineering is rare, companies like their engineers to get hands-on with the products and processes. With your background I would look into Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing/Industrial Engineering but try and go for a concentration in welding. There are some Weld Engineering programs out there. Ferris State in Michigan has a good one. Or get into Robot Programming, goes hand in hand with robotic welding and their processes. Less education and can pay just as good.

CCooper

WKR
My brother and I recently had a conversation regarding his son and continuing education. My brother is a successful electrician and I an estimator for a construction company. It seems like getting an engineering degree followed by going through a trade apprenticeship would set a person up in a nice spot in today's market. The industry is lacking skilled tradesman with a well-rounded head on their shoulders. It also would set him up as a future business owner as well.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm a Civil E, I went back to school at 31, finished at 33. My general view of engineering:

1. I like math, if you don't and/or are not good at it you will have a hard time. As my supervisor likes to say, "You know what they call engineering in school? Pre-business..."

2. The amount of shit people expect you to know is ridiculous. As an engineer everyone expects you to know everything and never be wrong.

3. If you are doing it strictly for pay, stay in a trade. If you have a functional brain, no substance dependency and some financial discipline as a tradesperson you can be a multi-millionaire and control your schedule.

4. ME or EE you are prob going to have to live in a populated area. CE you can get a job a lot of places. CE are also the lowest paid.

5. The one thing with engineering is it trains you how to figure stuff out. This opens up a lot of opportunity outside of actual design. Those are the better jobs, IMO.

I don't agree that it's a minimum of a 4 yr degree. I had a previous degree (Ecology) so a couple classes counted, but I took ~100 credits from May 2017-Dec 2019 and worked part-time (15 ish, sometimes 20 hrs) the whole time. I had to test in to take Calc 1 before I even started classes. It all depends on how much you want it.

Last edited:

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a welding engineer and work with welding automation/robots. I'm a big advocate for getting a job in manufacturing to keep everything made in the USA. All of my customers (manufacturers) are desperate for folks willing to work in manufacturing. A mechanical engineer with an associates in welding is a great combo to land yourself a job in this field. Keep in mind, its a little harder to find jobs in engineering that work remotely unless you find yourself working for a big company (usually woke).

And you don't need to get your PE license in this field.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an EE, better be good in math.

Honestly, way more opportunities with BS computer science....if you like programming

We can't hire enough

wyodan

WKR
I'm a Civil E, I went back to school at 31, finished at 33. My general view of engineering:

1. I like math, if you don't and/or are not good at it you will have a hard time. As my supervisor likes to say, "You know what they call engineering in school? Pre-business..."

2. The amount of shit people expect you to know is ridiculous. As an engineer everyone expects you to know everything and never be wrong.

3. If you are doing it strictly for pay, stay in a trade. If you have a functional brain, no substance dependency and some financial discipline as a tradesperson you can be a multi-millionaire and control your schedule.

4. ME or EE you are prob going to have to live in a populated area. CE you can get a job a lot of places. CE are also the lowest paid.

5. The one thing with engineering is it trains you how to figure stuff out. This opens up a lot of opportunity outside of actual design. Those are the better jobs, IMO.
I am a CE as well and agree with this. I work for the gov't, and basically push paper. If you like working with your hands, that is pretty difficult to deal with. I miss building things.

S.Clancy

WKR
I am a CE as well and agree with this. I work for the gov't, and basically push paper. If you like working with your hands, that is pretty difficult to deal with. I miss building things.
I work for govt too. The only reason is I get 4-6 weeks off per year. Hard to match that anywhere else but working for yourself.

What agency do you work for? USDA here

Clarktar

WKR
If I could do it all over again I would look into robotics and/or refrigeration

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
If you enjoyed welding, Metallurgical Engineering might be a path. It has morphed into a materials science engineering degree, but some colleges still offer it. Chemical engineering could be an in for you in the mining/ milling jobs.