Any of you have a list of your Firearms?

Luked

WKR
Just started to make a list of all the Firearms and Optics I have just in case something happens like a Fire or theft.
I have been putting them in a Google Drive Doc.
My question is I have them listed as Make, Model, serial etc.
Would it also be a good thing to have MSRP prices in case of a loss?

With the last few years I have acquired some higher end optics and firearms and a total loss would be quite a bit of money.

With that said what about older firearms and price?
I have a few that have been passed down by family that is no longer with us like my dad and Uncle.
What kind of price would you put on something like that?
Would it be best to go off of a current gun value?

TxLite

WKR
I like seeing what I actually paid for it so that when I check back in a few years I can be disgusted at what’s happened to prices.

Prices will always be changing so staying “current” on prices would be a chore.

I would also recommend talking to your home owners insurance company and see what they recommend. A list is a good starting point. But the insurance company might need something more than a list for coverage. Maybe, pictures, video, receipts. Possibly start cycling more expensive one of your collection through your local gunsmith for an inspection/valuation for documentation. Again, depends on what documentation your insurance needs to settle a claim. Good on you for thinking ahead.

Sandstrom

WKR
What is everyone’s thoughts on showing the insurance company a list of all their firearms? I was very leery of doing so and finally decided not to.

I do have a list that I keep and every year will make a new video of the two that didn’t fall in the lake in a boating accident.

Ryan

Kenn

WKR
I made a list and included all the details I know about the gun, including the history if I have it and the date of manufacture. Price paid would be great to add, but current value is pointless, since current opinions on that will vary, and it will be different tomorrow.

dtrkyman

WKR
I do, but I moved and honestly have no idea where it is!

Need to just take photos of everything and save it in the cloud.

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What is everyone’s thoughts on showing the insurance company a list of all their firearms? I was very leery of doing so and finally decided not to.

I do have a list that I keep and every year will make a new video of the two that didn’t fall in the lake in a boating accident.

Ryan
I feel the same way. I talked to my insurance company about contingent coverage for my firearms and as soon as they told me they needed a list of my firearms with make, model, caliber, and serial numbers, I said, nope! They don’t need to know what I have and how many I may or may not have.

Marble

WKR
Just started to make a list of all the Firearms and Optics I have just in case something happens like a Fire or theft.
I have been putting them in a Google Drive Doc.
My question is I have them listed as Make, Model, serial etc.
Would it also be a good thing to have MSRP prices in case of a loss?

With the last few years I have acquired some higher end optics and firearms and a total loss would be quite a bit of money.

With that said what about older firearms and price?
I have a few that have been passed down by family that is no longer with us like my dad and Uncle.
What kind of price would you put on something like that?
Would it be best to go off of a current gun value?
I'm in the process of doing this. I'll add that pictures would also add to the insurance companies' ability to access value.

My dad and I got full appraisals an entire set for a divorce. The shop provided a written appraisal for each firearm.

My suggestion is to get the list as you described with photos and add it to a living trust binder. You can also assign who gets what during that process.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

A number of years ago my gunsmith was grumbling about an inspection from the BATF. Because of his firearms license, he had to report every gun that he worked on to the BATF (a behind the scenes gun registration that you get whether you want it or not).

I prefer to make a couple copies on paper and keep one in a safety deposit box. I don't trust the security of the cloud or the government. I worked for them too long.

Marble

WKR
I don't think it's overly paranoid to not want your insurance company to know what firearms you have. But I imagine there are privacy laws protecting us from being released without a court order or warrant.

When i looked into a rider for my gun collection, it was fairly expensive.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I don't think it's overly paranoid to not want your insurance company to know what firearms you have. But I imagine there are privacy laws protecting us from being released without a court order or warrant.

When i looked into a rider for my gun collection, it was fairly expensive.

I might be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. You never know what type of people insurance Co. have working for them. Never, ever, trust anyone..............................................

Do your research on firearms insurance. Homeowner’s policies in general are terrible for firearms coverage.

There are firearms specific insurance agencies out there that will cover firearms as well as accessories, ammo, reloading tools and components.

And all they want to know is how much coverage you need. They are also typically MUCH cheaper than homeowner’s insurance policies.

It is a good idea to keep a detailed list and photos stored in the manner you see fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I recently switched insurance companies. The new guy we are going with is a hunter himself. He states that a list and pictures would be a solid plan for my guns and optics. He said right now he didn't need the info but to keep it and present it if/when needed. I plan to chat with him more about it to make sure my ducks are in a row.

Bluefish

WKR
I don’t know why I’ve never considered this. We have riders for jewelry, but I’ve never considered my firearms/optics collection.
Usually homeowners has a limit on firearms without a rider. Last time i checked mine was 2500 and a limited number of semiautomatics. I had one company refuse to cover AR style rifles.