Any Downside to Extra Room in Toe Box?

Bottom line up front: if a boot fits well otherwise and I can lock in my heel, is there a downside from having an extra roomy toe box? Additional details below.

I am right on the borderline between regular and wide fit, and depending on manufacturer, I will go back and forth. Most makes I’m a wide. That being said, I have a pretty hard time finding boots that fit. In some cases regular width is too narrow and wide is too wide.

I just bought two pairs of boots of the same model, one regular and one wide. The regular are a bit cramped and put some pressure on my big toe. The wide feel good and I can get my heel locked down, but the tow box is extra roomy, like an Altra shoe. If they otherwise feel good, is there any penalty for having extra room in the toe box? Or should I stick with the regular width and hope they break in?

Poser

WKR
I have huge, fat toes and a bit of a narrow foot. I need a roomy toe box or I get uncomfortable vertical pressure on my toes. innov-8 has the most generous toe box I’ve found and they are extremely comfortable for me. Their toe box is so generous that even I have extra room. I’ve found no disadvantage to this arrangement so long as your feet aren’t moving around inside the boot.

You could also try an alternative lacing technique to cinch off the toe box with a surgeons knot should you need to isolate tension in that location.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If your feet are locked in, it’s nice to be able to move your toes around a bit. I’m messing around with a pair of lowa hunter evos and am really enjoying the stiffness of the boot while also having some toe room unlike lots of other mountain boots I’ve tried.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Tibet's Wide. They are very comfortable and the fit is like you describe with a roomy toe box and locked in heels. I really like the room to move, it will be warmer in cold conditions and no toes jammed going downhill. I would go with the wide's if they fit the rest of your foot well.

J Batt

WKR
Imagine how it will feel going down a steep trail for 6 miles. Thats how I judge boot/shoe sizes from now on. It is an absolute requirement for me to have oversized shoes. Besides feeling a bit like clown shoes I see no downside. You might catch your toes on a rock slightly more often but not noticeably, and it won't hurt as bad cuz you have ample room.
If my toes touch the front of my shoe, even slightly, on a long distance hike or run I will get bruising under my toe nails and often loose a toe nail or two. I have been gradually sizing up every time I get a new pair of shoes. And now run 12.5 when I can fit in a 10 or even 9.5. Your shoe will also become more modular when oversized. I can fit a pair of wool boot liners in my running shoes with room to spare, goretex socks, etc... If they fit too loose around your foot you can add more insoles as required. Free toes is a requirement for long distance with no foot problems. 6 miles downhill will always let you know if your shoes/boots are too small...

Poser

WKR
Imagine how it will feel going down a steep trail for 6 miles. Thats how I judge boot/shoe sizes from now on. It is an absolute requirement for me to have oversized shoes. Besides feeling a bit like clown shoes I see no downside. You might catch your toes on a rock slightly more often but not noticeably, and it won't hurt as bad cuz you have ample room.
If my toes touch the front of my shoe, even slightly, on a long distance hike or run I will get bruising under my toe nails and often loose a toe nail or two. I have been gradually sizing up every time I get a new pair of shoes. And now run 12.5 when I can fit in a 10 or even 9.5. Your shoe will also become more modular when oversized. I can fit a pair of wool boot liners in my running shoes with room to spare, goretex socks, etc... If they fit too loose around your foot you can add more insoles as required. Free toes is a requirement for long distance with no foot problems. 6 miles downhill will always let you know if your shoes/boots are too small...

I’ve found footwear that is oversized results in the foot sliding forward and your toes getting smashed into the front of the foot box. You also loose precision foot placement and edging in more technical terrain. Sizing up 2.5-3 sizes seems crazy to me. I could see a 1/2 size, but difficult to imagine wearing boots that are 1,2 3 sizes too large.

In terms of running thicker socks, I’ve generally found you can just tie your boots a bit looser to compensate and be reasonably comfortable.

J Batt

WKR
I’ve found footwear that is oversized results in the foot sliding forward and your toes getting smashed into the front of the foot box. You also loose precision foot placement and edging in more technical terrain. Sizing up 2.5-3 sizes seems crazy to me. I could see a 1/2 size, but difficult to imagine wearing boots that are 1,2 3 sizes too large.

In terms of running thicker socks, I’ve generally found you can just tie your boots a bit looser to compensate and be reasonably comfortable.
Yes you are correct, if the shoe fits loosely around the entire foot it will slide around too much and be very clumsy. The trick "for me" is finding shoes that fit nicely around my foot while also giving a ton of toe room. The OP stated that his foot "locks in" to the pair with the bigger toe box.
Speed is a factor. The faster you go downhill the more your foot will slip forward.
Most of my miles are trail running, in altras. For my boots I have to add a couple insoles to get them to be snug around my heel and arch. Personally I have found that wether running or hiking down steep terrain my feet always slip forward some, regardless of the shoe size or fitment. The only solutions I have found are tightening laces or sizing up. Tightening my laces causes other foot problems during long descents.
So I have landed on sizing up.
I would always advise others to try a "slightly" larger size. Like I stated, I have been "gradually" moving up and landed on a size that "works for me".

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

on my 10th pair of lowa renegade gtx. hike mostly the mtns. 3k vertical up and down. sloppy toe box causes blisters. no big deal on flatland. go light poly inner sock, merino wool outer sock, wicks sweat away.

I have gone from size 9 1/2 to 10 wide in 30 years. So not a big jump but noticeable. comparing the two different brands of boot the new ones are about 1/4'' longer.

OP
DenimChicken
I just bought a pair of Lowa Tibet's Wide. They are very comfortable and the fit is like you describe with a roomy toe box and locked in heels. I really like the room to move, it will be warmer in cold conditions and no toes jammed going downhill. I would go with the wide's if they fit the rest of your foot well.
Funny, I just tried on some Tibets today and the wides fit great. They are pretty heavy though and I typically don't use that stiff/substantial of boot. However, if I keep having issues with boots I might just suck it up and go to Tibets. Hard to find a bad review on them.
on my 10th pair of lowa renegade gtx. hike mostly the mtns. 3k vertical up and down. sloppy toe box causes blisters. no big deal on flatland. go light poly inner sock, merino wool outer sock, wicks sweat away.
I had a pair of Renegade wides and they fit great, but didn't hold up well. I "upgraded" to some Crispi Altitudes which leaked immediately. I am now on the the Briksdal MTN GTX, which I am going back and forth on the regular vs. wides.