Anticipated impacts of COVID-19 on hunting this year?

Applied logic & history:

As a generality, we have no immunity to this virus. We are all therefore susceptible to infection, and because it spreads so readily, entire communities and populations will remain at risk. That immediate risk of infection won't go away unless the virus is influenced by the seasonal climate. Right now the only way we have to reduce the risk of infection is by reducing person-to-person AND community contact.

A vaccine will happen in time. Certain medications may prove effective. The rate and risk of infection will decline when immunity is conferred either naturally by exposure or through a vaccine. When population immunity rises and effective treatments are in place, it's logical to think life in a more normal sense will eventually resume.

Until that condition is achieved I believe we'll see limitations on businesses, activities, travel and so on. It could be possible this continues at some level right on through summer with a heightened risk of round 2 happening next fall/winter. As far as effects on hunting and other outdoor ventures, I wouldn't expect the various involved governments to be very sympathetic to our desires. It is after all an optional (their view) activity centered around fun and pleasure. Essential business interests will take center stage. Small businesses which offer nonessential services and are mostly pleasure-related will get the least consideration. In general, the things we do for fun, lifestyle, hobbies and entertainment are considered optional and typically first to go....last to return.

I'm a little worried. I have booked a moose hunt in NL for late Sept. 2020. Already paid 2k deposit. I'm not panicking, but understand there's a good chance the trip won't happen. I'll just have to see how it plays out. Until then I'll be full-bore planning for white tail in the fall.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
We have a drop hunt for moose schedule for this September. It’s our first one and to say we’re excited is an understatement. However, given the current times, we will not be buying the plane tickets or tags until things start to get resolved. As of now, we have only put up 50% for a deposit. Just take everything day by day, and hopefully we get this thing whooped before fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to apply in a couple new states but have decided not too. The states i applied in the past, i still applied in though

Marble

WKR
I think everyone should wait as long as possible before they make any decisions on finances and hunts for this fall. The two most recent collapses in 2001 and 2008 had pretty quick recoveries as far as the market went. 2001 occurred in Sept and it had recovered by around Christmas time. In 2008, it took 13 months to recover. The interesting thing about that dip was it was an actual total collapse of many markets, with real estate loans leading the way. 9/11 and COVID 19 are not portions of the market causing the issues. People are freaking out causing the issue. So the actual basis for the market to be doing well still exists.

The issues with oil I could see causing a significant dip in the market, but temporary at best. I think by early summertime everything should be back to normal and fuel prices will be going up.

Maybe some travel restrictions to some countries will be in place still.

fmyth

WKR
Don't risk any monies you can't afford to lose. There are no guarantees that anyone will repay you for lost opportunities.

Confidence is a good thing but worth nothing when the situation is out of your control. This situation has reinforced that for a huge number of Americans.

Some businesses will die, and some of them will be guides, outfitters, and other related entities which depend on people to spend discretionary money to go have fun.

Nothing kills the national will to buy/spend like a market crash. 401Ks are hurting. Airlines will need a bailout.

I agree. My net worth has dropped nearly 40% in the last 3 weeks and my business has all but stopped. I am fortunate that I have an extremely low overhead but can only survive 18 months like this before I have to start dumping assets. I have decided not to apply for my CO or NM tags and may cancel my WY tag application. The price of those tags/hunts equal a few more weeks of operating cash. I had a contingency plan in case of a market crash and a contingency plan in case of a business cash flow crisis but did not have a plan for both occurring simultaneously.

I think if a person has some cash laying around and a flexible schedule this fall, he/she may be able to catch a DEAL on some cancellation hunts.

They say generals Fight the last war not the current one.

I’d not be so quick to site past historical record as a blueprint of future events.

OP
FirstTimer
Yeah dude not sure what your expectations are but I know I am not putting together a bibliography for a social media post. Mostly conversations I've had with people in risk management and strategy. Financial and industry journals. There's some variance still, absolutely. It's all just prognostications but this "flattening the curve" has really taken hold and gained virtually unanimous acceptance among the political class and there's no feasible mathematical scenario under which flattening the curve doesn't last at least a year. Trust me I'm not happy about it there's a pretty good chance I'll be looking for a new gig if it lasts that long.
Your point about the "flattening the curve" doctrine taking hold is spot on. Even if you thought the virus was a complete manufactured hoax, that wouldn't change the fact that 99% of the population is operating under the assumption that it's real and is taking steps to slow its spread.

hunt1up

WKR
I already drew a quality AZ archery elk tag. I also took advantage of the price tanking on flights and booked a scouting trip flight in August and my hunt flights in September. Around $100-150 round trip non stop from Chicago to Phoenix is just too cheap not to buy. So my tag and transportation are paid for. If for some reason I can fly I'll stomach the 24 hour drive. Last resort is we use our point guard, which I do NOT want to do, but can.

We're in a pretty good place financially I think. No debt but a modest mortgage and a rainy day fund on the side. The wife works for a state university and isn't financially impacted by this as she can work from home. We are temporarily shutting down our family business here in IL due to the latest shelter-in-place policy they enacted today. I'll have to go on unemployment until we open back up. Not much other choice.

Unless they barricade the roads between IL and AZ or close a national forest, I'm going come hell or high water.

Rob5589

WKR
I feel bad for the small business owner. They are going to suffer if this lasts too long. The wife and I are both medical, so we aren't worried job wise or financially.
If you can, help the little guy out as much as possible. Will be good for them and the economy in general.

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm scheduled to be sheep hunting in July in NWT and I'm officially starting to get a little nervous. I think what we're doing is a gigantic overreaction, basically shutting down the economy instead of just keeping at-risk folks at home. Hopefully a month or two from now we're out of the woods.
I’m scheduled for a month long trip to BC in September. I’m nervous as hell right now. I don’t know how outfitters would handle these higher end hunts. They are normally booked years in advance. From what I can tell from my contract. Travel insurance does not cover this.

OMB

WKR
I’m scheduled for a month long trip to BC in September. I’m nervous as hell right now. I don’t know how outfitters would handle these higher end hunts. They are normally booked years in advance. From what I can tell from my contract. Travel insurance does not cover this.

Not sure on your outfitter, but talked to mine last night and if the border is still closed in July, he's going to move me into August, or worst case scenario or I can't make it work, he will let me move to the next year I can make it (getting married next summer so probably would end up pushing to 2021.) It's been a weird situation for sure but it's reinforced my opinion that I booked with the right outfitter and him having a plan in place on the fly.

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure on your outfitter, but talked to mine last night and if the border is still closed in July, he's going to move me into August, or worst case scenario or I can't make it work, he will let me move to the next year I can make it (getting married next summer so probably would end up pushing to 2021.) It's been a weird situation for sure but it's reinforced my opinion that I booked with the right outfitter and him having a plan in place on the fly.
Honestly that’s what I’m hoping for when we touch base. I’m flexible this year with my time. Also next year is an option for me as well. All I’m looking for if the worst case scenario happens is that I can simply move my hunt dates.