Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 7 3.7%

Votes: 4 2.1%

Votes: 9 4.7%

Votes: 31 16.3%

Votes: 39 20.5%

Votes: 93 48.9%

• Total voters
What about their hair makes the meat so bad? Antelope is the one I see stressed hard to not let hair get in it.

Nothing, I’m pretty sure it’s an old wives tale. I do the best I can always but I’ve still yet to find a way to skin an animal and not get hair on the meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwdrski

FNG
As soon as it's on the ground get the hide off, don't allow hair to get on the meat. Keep it clean and get on ice and cool your meat down ASAP. Try your best to get a quick 1 and done shot, do your best not to stress them with a bad shot and secondary shots, allowing them to run for distance. Do this and you'll have some excellent table fare. Plus they're just a great animal to hunt. We'll be heading to Wyoming in 3 weeks to get some more for the freezer, nothing left from last year's harvest. It goes quickly at our house!!

Last edited:

Sandstrom

WKR
We typically take a quick pic or two, then immediately get them quartered with the gutless method and into game bags and on ice immediately. Yes I used immediately twice!! Haven’t had a bad one yet:)
Ryan

What's the best way to cook it? Best recipes?
I like to cut steaks anywhere from .75-1.5 inches thick and just cook them in a hot frying pan on the stove top. I'll pull them off when the center is 120-125 and let rest for a couple minutes. Really the only no-no is don't overcook it!

I was varying shades of vegetarian/vegan for 7 years before I got two pronghorn last fall. I didn't grind a single muscle group of the buck I got-- don't let anyone tell you that only the backstraps are good eating. Maybe I'm crazy, but pan-seared cuts from the front quarters were pretty dang tasty. Neck meat chunks with salad, brisket/rib meat tacos, etc...

If you have to grind up good roasts/steaks to make venison edible, it's time to become a better cook ;)

Some of my favorites experiments:
-Antelope ramen (slice steak thinly after cooking)
-Antelope bibimbap (thin sliced steak again)
-Japanese meatballs
-Antelope shank vindaloo
-Deli style steak sandwiches with fancy mustard

I'd highly recommend "Buck, Buck, Moose" for some good recipe ideas & motivation on using as much of the animal as possible.

pwdrski

FNG
Makes for outstanding breakfast sausage and brats and in my opinion better than elk in that meat category. The sausage herb mix dulls the sage flavor, if it exists, and the antelope meat does a better job of absorbing the pork fat flavor.
Totally agree on the breakfast sausage. We took 2 bucks in Colorado and last year. My friend had us take them to a local processor, Mountain Meat in Craig, and highly recommended we do some breakfast sausage. OMG, it was absolutely the best breakfast sausage I've ever had. Fried eggs with roasted Hatch chilis with sausage, and another favorite was French toast with fried eggs on top and sausage.