Votes: 9 4.7%

Votes: 31 16.3%

Votes: 39 20.5%

Votes: 93 48.9%

• Total voters

MThuntr

WKR
I like it but prefer elk and moose.

I've had 2 in the last 20 years that were inedible. I don't know what the issue was because I did everything the same. Possibly they were "ran" when I wasn't around and were hopped up on adrenaline.

A rancher friend loves seeing them and watching how curious they can be but he absolute refuse to eat them or be in the same location they're cooked. He claims they stink and their meat stinks.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I purposely cook antelope for people that I know "dont" like antelope. After they scarf their plate down I will let them know what that "delicious" species of meat was.
This goes for elk and bear as well.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Done multiple blind tastes with family and friends - goat wins most of the time, even a rutted up Buck. Take care of it and cook it right…

Rich M

WKR
It all depends where the critter came from. The ones I have shot have been very good.

Flip side - I have no desire for another mule deer.

kcm2

WKR
Magnificent table fare, as long as they are quickly skinned and well taken care of. Diet is important, too. The last one I shot lived off cholla flowers and it was fantastic. Hay fed is better than sage fed but they are all great eating, IMO. Only one of the several dozen I have killed was a little rough, and that one was a bow kill that I didn't find until the walk back later in the day.

I had mine I shot a couple years ago mostly done in dried sausage and loved it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hoggetter

FNG
I was going to give up on eating antelope till my wife used Italian dressing to marinate the meat with then put it on the Tregger with oak pellets, and it was simple, and came out outstanding.

Antelope is a delicacy in my house. Very tasty! Get it on ice as soon as possible and make sure NO hairs make it into the meat.
I've been doing a Mongolian fried style with my fajita cuts recently and it's been good!

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I rate antelope right behind elk but it’s very close! As mentioned before, get the heat out of it. ASAP! I do the gutless method every time to keep exposure to guts and blood to a minimum. Keep the hair from getting on the meat as well.

Most people don’t realize how fast the meat can start to sour and don’t get the meat cooked fast enough.

It all depends where the critter came from. The ones I have shot have been very good.

Flip side - I have no desire for another mule deer.

I had a buddy tell me he only eats elk, until I grilled up some mule deer while we were out hunting. Now he thinks mule deer is preferable to elk just like I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a buddy tell me he only eats elk, until I grilled up some mule deer while we were out hunting. Now he thinks mule deer is preferable to elk just like I do

I’ve had plenty of people tell me how bad deer is. I’ve also had those same people tell me how good the “elk” is they just ate. I love doing blind taste tests. Deer elk moose and antelope. Everyone thinks they like elk the best, but routinely antelope and deer come in number one and 2.

hunterjmj

WKR
Pronghorn is definitely our favourite game meat. Wish they were bigger. Like others have said, gut them, skin them and get them on ice.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
The first one I got I wasn’t able to get it on ice right away and it was awful. Years later I got another one and I iced it up immediately. I wondered what I was going to do with all that nasty meat but it turned out it was the best game meat ever. I get an elk every year and it doesn’t compare.

OP
Lou (Louis)

I wonder if antelope were shot later than August or September (at least the season here)…..

Cooling down is huge with deer. And getting the blood out, obviously.

Rich M

WKR

The CO muley buck i shot and ate had decent steaks but the grind was strong and stinky. Not planning to hunt them anymore (got a nice buck), so its easy to say i’m not interested.

We get some strong whitetails down here in the swamps from time to time. Just catch em when they’re eating something funky is all.

Best meat I’ve had is caribou.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Like all wildgame, fieldcare and tablecare are crucial to how it tastes on the fork. I've eaten a lot of critters from around the world and would put an antelope backstrap against anything else.
My fieldcare suggestions: remove skin ASAP and get on ice.
My tablecare suggestions: cook to rare/120 and then allow to rest five minutes.

OP
Lou (Louis)
Like all wildgame, fieldcare and tablecare are crucial to how it tastes on the fork. I've eaten a lot of critters from around the world and would put an antelope backstrap against anything else.
My fieldcare suggestions: remove skin ASAP and get on ice.
My tablecare suggestions: cook to rare/120 and then allow to rest five minutes.
I would only add: hang 10-14 days at 38F :)

kcm2

WKR
I would even cook antelope steaks, tell people it was elk and have them tell me how good it was. Then, I'd let the truth come out. It is that good.