Alterra vs game warden lr

Yeah, wish it could be done for less than 800$

Turns out you can’t buy a gunwerks component stock at all right now anyway, so there goes that

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I love my EH1, but I also just put a TS Customs KS1 stock on an Impact/Proof build input together for a bud. Very nice. Somewhat similar lines to Gunwerks it appears.

HGL

FNG
I like the looks of the new Iota stock. Not inletted for a Tikka yet, but they do offer a Tikka stock, so maybe this one will have that offering in the future. May give this a whirl for my Origin action though.

EkoX.jpg

I love my EH1, but I also just put a TS Customs KS1 stock on an Impact/Proof build input together for a bud. Very nice. Somewhat similar lines to Gunwerks it appears.

Have you come to a conclusion on which of these two stocks you prefer? I am trying to decide on my next stock and these are both on my short list.

Thanks.

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you come to a conclusion on which of these two stocks you prefer? I am trying to decide on my next stock and these are both on my short list.

Thanks.
A dedicated LR hunter, probably the EH1. A very well designed all arounder, the TS Custom. But it may also depend on your action and what’s available too. Can’t go wrong with either.

A dedicated LR hunter, probably the EH1. A very well designed all arounder, the TS Custom. But it may also depend on your action and what’s available too. Can’t go wrong with either.

It's for a pair of Tikka rifles. A 300 WSM that I currently have in a Mesa Altitude and 6 Creed that will be an exact copy of the 300 WSM. The 6 Creed has not been built yet. I'm trying to settle on a stock before I start that one.

I like the Mesa Altitude a lot. Feels great and fit/finish is very good. However, I would like to try a similar stock with a flat/negative comb (no drop at heel) and flatter toe line angle. My goal is to improve recoil characteristics and still be reasonably light for pack-in hunts.

I am considering:
- EH1-TK
- McMillan Game Warden LR TG
- Alterra Carbon Hunter
- Stocky's VG
- Rokstock(?)

Lots of choices. All the characteristics are there, just not all together in one stock. Any opinions on the those based on your experience?

SDHNTR

WKR
The TS Customs isn’t available in a Tikka inlet sadly. It would check all your boxes. The Manners EH1 and the Game Warden are the only other choices on your list I have any experience with. Between those two, manners wins every time.

It's for a pair of Tikka rifles. A 300 WSM that I currently have in a Mesa Altitude and 6 Creed that will be an exact copy of the 300 WSM. The 6 Creed has not been built yet. I'm trying to settle on a stock before I start that one.

I like the Mesa Altitude a lot. Feels great and fit/finish is very good. However, I would like to try a similar stock with a flat/negative comb (no drop at heel) and flatter toe line angle. My goal is to improve recoil characteristics and still be reasonably light for pack-in hunts.

I am considering:
- EH1-TK
- McMillan Game Warden LR TG
- Alterra Carbon Hunter
- Stocky's VG
- Rokstock(?)

Lots of choices. All the characteristics are there, just not all together in one stock. Any opinions on the those based on your experience?
I’ve got a couple of the alterras and have shot them next to the stockys. Both are good options with slightly different “feel”. The stockys has a more vertical grip and shorter/better trigger reach. The alterra has a more swept back grip and longer trigger reach. The alterra for me has less muzzle jump. I personally like the alterra a little better but wish it had a better/different grip for prone shooting but it still does very well. If the new rokstock feels better to me I’ll probably sell one of the alterras.

ekupp

FNG
KRG Bravo. The Alterra is decent, but isn’t quite there either. From a weight, cost analysis, either the factory stock with some mods, or the Stocky VG stock are about the best option so far. If I were forced to use a stock that isn’t the Bravo, it would be a McMillan A3.
Has anyone played with modifying the KRG Bravo cheek riser to be a negative comb? Would it in your opinion be worth trying and using in conjunction with the Bravo bag rider and vertical adjustable butt pad to get closer to Rokstock geometry?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Has anyone played with modifying the KRG Bravo cheek riser to be a negative comb? Would it in your opinion be worth trying and using in conjunction with the Bravo bag rider and vertical adjustable butt pad to get closer to Rokstock geometry?

No. Why the effort for that, instead of the ROKStok?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have the stock would just need to 3d print or create a wood shim to fit on riser. Just a thought KRG is pretty good as is. Waiting on Rokstock now.
The KRG is good for a chassis, but the angle of the cheekpiece isn’t the main thing. Raise the recoil pad to be inline with bore, then adjust cheekpiece to correct height. You may need higher rings.