Alterra vs game warden lr

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Field stocks primarily need these 5 design characteristics-

1). Negative comb (green line)

2). Negative drop at heel: top of recoil pad even with, or above centerline of bore (green line)

3). Parallel forend: parallel with barrel (yellow line)

4). Parallel toe: parallel with barrel (orange line)

5). Verticle grip with correct geometry (red arrow)

DD762945-8F74-48CE-A35C-FB2AAB03C828.jpeg

The only thing McMillan got was #1 and #2 (which is a large improvement over their previous stocks). This stock has too much slope in the toe, too much slope in the forend, and the ridiculous bump at the top of the grip behind the trigger, not to mention that the grip itself is too large for most hands.

Manufacturers are in such a hurry to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. McMillan could have easily had it with this stock- they have all the correct designs in different stocks, and yet like everyone but Gunwerks- they refuse to put them all together.

Gonewest

WKR

2). Negative drop at heel: top of recoil pad even with, or above centerline of bore (green line)

View attachment 576728

The only thing McMillan got was #1 and #2 (which is a large improvement over their previous stocks). This stock has too much slope in the toe, too much slope in the forend, and the ridiculous bump at the top of the grip behind the trigger, not to mention that the grip itself is too large for most hands.

Manufacturers are in such a hurry to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. McMillan could have easily had it with this stock- they have all the correct designs in different stocks, and yet like everyone but Gunwerks- they refuse to put them all together.
What are the best options for a Tikka?

Bbell12

WKR

View attachment 576728

Have you had a chance to check out the Benchmark Ibex stock? They’re inletting them for Tikkas and seem to check off at least #1, #2, and #5

SDHNTR

WKR

View attachment 576728

What is that nub the red arrow is pointing at anyway ? Never understood that feature.

I own a handful of McM stocks. I think I’ve bought my last. Solid construction and well made, but I just don’t understand some of the recent designs, lack of thought, gobs of redundancy, and the vibe of current ownership makes me throw up in my mouth a lil. You ever seen that Extreme Limits show?

Attachments

• 5439599B-E549-4920-8152-0CFA0DFBCA95.jpeg
    5439599B-E549-4920-8152-0CFA0DFBCA95.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What are the best options for a Tikka?

KRG Bravo. The Alterra is decent, but isn’t quite there either. From a weight, cost analysis, either the factory stock with some mods, or the Stocky VG stock are about the best option so far. If I were forced to use a stock that isn’t the Bravo, it would be a McMillan A3.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What is that nub the red arrow is pointing at anyway ? Never understood that feature.

It’s designed so that your bottom three fingers that are gripping the stock go under that bump. The issue is that McMillan makes the trigger to grip distance way too long, and your hand doesn’t want to sit that low on the grip. Sand that bump off and it’s much better, though the trigger to grip distance is still too long.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
KRG Bravo. The Alterra is decent, but isn’t quite there either. From a weight, cost analysis, either the factory stock with some mods, or the Stocky VG stock are about the best option so far. If I were forced to use a stock that isn’t the Bravo, it would be a McMillan A3.
What factory stock mods? Vertical grip obviously but what else would you do to the factory stock to get it how you want?

What factory stock mods? Vertical grip obviously but what else would you do to the factory stock to get it how you want?

Vertical grip is easy with the tikka vertical grip
You can get negative drop at heel, and negative comb angle using some epoxy and fiberglass mat. You can do it while also keeping the but pad the same and flattening the toe if you use a miter saw and completely cut the butt stock, then rebuild with fiberglass mat abs epoxy. A few strategic carbon arrow shaft chunks help too. I modified the tan stock in these pictures.
20230526_171903.jpg
20230526_171755.jpg

Gonewest

WKR
Vertical grip is easy with the tikka vertical grip
You can get negative drop at heel, and negative comb angle using some epoxy and fiberglass mat. You can do it while also keeping the but pad the same and flattening the toe if you use a miter saw and completely cut the butt stock, then rebuild with fiberglass mat abs epoxy. A few strategic carbon arrow shaft chunks help too. I modified the tan stock in these pictures.
View attachment 576855
View attachment 576856
I’ve been debating on doing something similar. Do you know what the weight is on your modified stock? By the way, nice work!

Lawnboi

WKR
It dosnt look nearly as negative in the comb as the original r700 pictures made it look. I’d agree with the above that it’s still missing a lot. I had a number of mcmillan stocks and cannot say I had any complaints with the quality. But after swapping my tikkas over to eh1s I came to realize the benefit of a higher recoil pad and closer to parallel lines.

If I were currently in the market for a tikka stock I think I’d still go with the eh1. I like a krg bravo as well but hate hunting with aics magazines

I’ve been debating on doing something similar. Do you know what the weight is on your modified stock? By the way, nice work!
i can snag a weight later today, I got to shoot it a little bit and really liked it - very easy to get into position and see the target throught the shot. i'll take some photos of the process when I do the rest of my stocks.

Making sure you can remove the bolt with the action tightened down is a bit tricky - i ended up sanding out a lot of material that i'd previously added. So is making the paint actually stick - haven't cracked that nut yet.

It’s designed so that your bottom three fingers that are gripping the stock go under that bump. The issue is that McMillan makes the trigger to grip distance way too long, and your hand doesn’t want to sit that low on the grip. Sand that bump off and it’s much better, though the trigger to grip distance is still too long.
How is an a3 better than the lr?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Vertical grip, raised recoil pad, cheek piece.
Why the A3 over Stocky VG?

Not necessarily over it. The Stocky’s is a relatively new stock, long term durability isn’t established as it is with McMillan. However, I don’t suspect the Stocky’s will be an issue.

How is an a3 better than the lr?

No necessarily better. It’s about the same except that it doesn’t have the bump on the grip. That bump behind the trigger really makes the LR feel like crap. Sand the bump off, inlet the action a half inch farther rearward and the LR is pretty solid. However by the time you do that you could have gotten a Gunwerks Maguns or Clymr, had it fillled and reinletted for a Tikka, and has the best stock going.

amassi

WKR
However by the time you do that you could have gotten a Gunwerks Maguns or Clymr, had it fillled and reinletted for a Tikka, and has the best stock going.

Do you know anyone capable of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily over it. The Stocky’s is a relatively new stock, long term durability isn’t established as it is with McMillan. However, I don’t suspect the Stocky’s will be an issue.

No necessarily better. It’s about the same except that it doesn’t have the bump on the grip. That bump behind the trigger really makes the LR feel like crap. Sand the bump off, inlet the action a half inch farther rearward and the LR is pretty solid. However by the time you do that you could have gotten a Gunwerks Maguns or Clymr, had it fillled and reinletted for a Tikka, and has the best stock going.
Who will fill and re inlet a gun works? When I tried to figure that out lri was the only person I could find and by then it was a 2k dollar stock when finished

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider

A lot of the Tikka stocks seem like they need inletted 1/4" to 1/2" further back. The krg bravo is the most comfortable that I have found. I also have an eh1 that seems to be a lot better than the other mcmillans and manners that I have owned.