Your Gear list for a 7 - 14 day Dall sheep hunt please!

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys

Would you be willing to share you gear lists for a 7 - 14 day Alaskan Dall sheep hunt.

Any help with list of gear you used would be really appreciated. If you could tell me what you brought that was indispensable or what should have stayed at home in your opinion would be fantastic.

Many thanks
Regards
Glendine.

Haven’t gone yet but this is what I’m bringing this August.

Still tweaking a few things and looking to shave another 2 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a cool way to put a list together. I know these ideas might not be feasible, but here's a few things I'd do if that were my list.

Ditch the Akto and get a NIak. Any weight difference is negligible and you will be much more comfortable in the Niak. The Akto has condensation issues and is not free standing. The Niak comparatively is like a palace.
Ditch the pillow and shove some extra clothes, jackets, puffies into a stuff sack and there's your pillow. Save 12 ounces right there.
Since you are bringing a spotter, if you have the capability, ditch the 10x42's and bring pocket binoculars, you'll save almost a pound right there. I use the Zeiss Victory 10x25 compacts, they are great.

These are just a few ideas. I know you didn't solicit advise, so feel free to tell me to pound sand, but just thought I'd throw a few ideas out there.

Which program did you use to put together your list. I am not word processor savvy, but I'd like to do something like that.

Thanks!

Josh

schmalzy

WKR
Thats a cool way to put a list together. I know these ideas might not be feasible, but here's a few things I'd do if that were my list.

Ditch the Akto and get a NIak. Any weight difference is negligible and you will be much more comfortable in the Niak. The Akto has condensation issues and is not free standing. The Niak comparatively is like a palace.
Ditch the pillow and shove some extra clothes, jackets, puffies into a stuff sack and there's your pillow. Save 12 ounces right there.
Since you are bringing a spotter, if you have the capability, ditch the 10x42's and bring pocket binoculars, you'll save almost a pound right there. I use the Zeiss Victory 10x25 compacts, they are great.

These are just a few ideas. I know you didn't solicit advise, so feel free to tell me to pound sand, but just thought I'd throw a few ideas out there.

Which program did you use to put together your list. I am not word processor savvy, but I'd like to do something like that.

Thanks!

Josh

Josh,

Appreciate the feedback, very much welcomed.

Sorry for hijack OP but it’s probably still relevant.

@schmalzy and @mtwarden have gotten their setups pretty figured out IMO. I’m not professing to be any kind of expert. I’ve hunted AK mountain critters a few times and was successful once (insomuch as we got two sheep tags filled, I had no tag). I am pretty experienced in the high mountains though. I’d look at the thread started by @schmalzy. There is also a recent stone sheep thread. I think a reasonable goal is to have a pack weight well below 45 lbs and a total weight not much over 60 lbs. Total weight is everything that wouldn’t have to be surgically removed from you… including your boots

Last edited:

schmalzy

WKR
@schmalzy and @mtwarden have gotten their setups pretty figured out IMO. I’m not professing to be any kind of expert. I’ve hunted AK mountain critters a few times and was successful once (insomuch as we got two sheep tags filled, I had no tag). I am pretty experienced in the high mountains though. I’d look at the thread started by @schmalzy. There is also a recent stone sheep thread. I think a reasonable goal is to have a pack weight well below 45 lbs and a total weight not much over 60 lbs. Total weight is everything that wouldn’t have to be surgically removed from you… including your boots

@Wyobohunter and others (like @mtwarden) really helped me get rid of some weight. I thought I was “light” but realized I had a lot more I could lose.

Something else to consider if you have never done a fly in hunt. So long as your hunt gear weight is well below the maximum allowed for the flight you can bring along some extras to leave at the landing strip. This is assuming the drop off point is the same as the pick up point (it usually is). Items to consider are:
-That piece of gear you are really on the fence about bringing.
-Some extra food.
-Beverages (adult or otherwise) to sink in a nearby creek.

The last two are because it’s not unheard of for weather to keep you from getting picked up for an extra day or two. Extra food and drink are a good thing to have while you wait. Generally the pilot will not mind you having a few so long as you are reasonable about it. Hell, last flight out I took I had a beer in the plane. The pilot just has to serve you (you give him the unopened beer… he gives it back). Just don’t smash bugs on his windows.

Last one you could bring to leave at the strip is some extra fuel and simple spices. You may want to fry up some of that backstrap and savor it out in the mountains. There may not be wood to build a fire. We built a rock griddle and fried some up, delicious. Find a relatively thin flat rock and support it on other rocks. Put your stove under it to heat the “griddle”. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Just started digging through my gear piles. Wife and another hunting partner @S.Clancy will be on this hunt hence the larger fuel canister, two cups, two sleeping pads, larger tent, and double quilt. Hoping they will carry the food :). I also usually only carry 32 ounces of water so that is what I have listed for now. Might bring a larger vessel if scouting suggests lack of water availability.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you are going with a guided service I’d recommend checking in with them so you don’t double up on potential heavier items. Close to half of my normal carry weight is food, or water to make food, and with some guides you don’t have to worry about either of these. Adding in the stove and fuel weight, your at a minimum for that long of a trip at around 18-20 lbs I’d guess.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
My gear list from 2021 is almost exactly what @mtwarden has planned.

When I go back Ill bring some more splurges for the two to four days of being stuck due to weather. A mix of seasonings, some ultra cushy camp shoes... I made a list of stuff while in camp on day 12 and it's all food related. Nothing heavy, maybe half a pound of worth of things.

It's also really nice to have something like miso soup packets or fancy coffee or some sort of splurge to pull out of your pack on a rough day later in the hunt and split it with your guide, especially if you're tired and spirits are wavering.

I went ultralight and never missed anything major but quickly realized I could have brought more pounds of stuff and left it at the landing strip it I was so inclined, it would not have been a big deal.

We took off on a big multi-day spike out from the strip and brought only one spotter, one shelter, etc, really pared down so we could get a sheep out on our backs and the only thing that was missed was food -- things got pretty lean towards the end (like, a single piece of bread with a packet of jam for breakfast and a freeze dry for dinner) but we killed a ram and solved that problem. I've hammered the food thing a little bit, and Im traditionally not a big eater, but it's one of the very few things you can plan to guarantee your future comfort. You do a huge day of mountain hunting and adding the smallest pleasure to the end of it can work miracles for your energy and disposition.