Alaskan guide tent

What’s up guys I’m looking to get a cabelas alaskan guide tent. For truck camping to taking the kids away on weekends.

My budge is like 450. Is the 6 person worth the extra money over the 4 person??

Can I get two cots in a 4 person?

Is the tent any good? Thank you

MT257

WKR
Two cots in the 4 person is doable but very tight if the low rise cots. I’d go for the 6 person if possible, watch for sales I picked the 6 person up on a big discounted price. They are good tents, rock solid in wind. I’ve used mine in tents down to -10 with a buddy heater.

I’ve used both and own a 6 person AK guide dome and in my opinion, yes, they are worth the money, but you’re not going to get two cots into the four person and be comfortable.
Here’s a couple pictures of both the 4 and 6 for some size reference (I’m 5’8” tall).
d6b4ea555aaeb871b6de07f994b808bf.jpg

11128df79c5a3af8a8fdfb9e6606428b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whisky

WKR
They are solid tents, buy with confidence.

I'd definitely go with the 6 man.

We were Quasi tight in the 6 man with 2 regular cabelas cots, We have an Alaknak now. Room to spare. Obviously the Alaskan guide is not straight walled. Just my opinion but I would go bigger.

My story with the alaskan guide is a big bend school trip where my daughter and two friends slept in it and fhere were about 6 dozen other tents ranging from one to three person to family sized tents for the students and all the adult chaperones. One night the valley winds got so bad about a dozen or so of the girls tents got torn apart, most if not all were downed, and a bunch of dads were running around “saving” their daughters. I stayed in my tent knowing my girl was in the alaskan guide geodesic. the next morning several of the dads were talking about the one tent on that side of the camp that didn’t have any issues that night. They laughed when i walked up and they confirmed it was mine, them knowing i was a sort of quality gear junkie. Seriously, about a dozen cheaper tents were literally torn apart by tue wind. The rest just collapsed on the girls, probably 65+mph winds (i think they were confirmed around 68 nearby). One was standing strong. This was the 8 person size, and i didn’t even have it guyed out, just self supporting. Three girls with cots and suitcases easily fit in that size.

packer58

WKR
Solid tents, I have the 4 man and with one cot, small table and some gear it gets pretty tight. Takes a little bit of time to set up due to all the poles but is very sturdy.

We had an 8 and currently have a 6. The 6 is awesome for two adults with cots and gear..we squeeze one of the big kids in between the cots on the floor sometimes but it gets messy. I'd absolutely do the 8 if you're wanting more than 2 cots in there.

Wheels

WKR
Watch Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, you can pick one up cheap if you're patient. I found one with a cot for $200 in excellent condition.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my 6-man a few years ago for $150. I bought that thing sometime around 1990. It worked fine for two with cots, but I do prefer more room than that even......and had trouble with condensation a few times. Once I got a new wall tent, I just never used it anymore. Quite frankly, when solo that thing took longer to set up than the 14x16 wall tent does.

pirogue

WKR
I’ve had a six man Alaskan Guide for a long time. Bought before they incorporated the vestibule. I’ve put it up fairly quickly, alone, in the Wyoming winds. Trick is to stake it down first, then duct tape the first couple poles to the pins, to hold while you stand it up.

Yes you want the 6 man for 2 cots.
Yes it is a good tent in bad weather.
Yes it’s kind of a pain to set up.

OP
F
I’ve used both and own a 6 person AK guide dome and in my opinion, yes, they are worth the money, but you’re not going to get two cots into the four person and be comfortable.
Here’s a couple pictures of both the 4 and 6 for some size reference (I’m 5’8” tall).
d6b4ea555aaeb871b6de07f994b808bf.jpg

11128df79c5a3af8a8fdfb9e6606428b.png

Hey where you get the camo rain fly

I’ve got the 4 man and it’s near bombproof. BUT, you won’t be putting 2 cots in there easily at all. Tried and failed.