AK Sheep, Population Observations

VernAK

WKR
I don't see Alaska limiting NRs as their licensing fees are/were around 80% of revenue. This becomes a big deal as it qualifies for 3 to 1 matching funds from Pittman Robertson.

The factor that will limit NRs is the diminishing quantity of game animals [sheep & caribou] and the dwindling salmon returns. Many NRs now realize there are guides selling hunts for wildlife they have very little chance of finding.

Reactions: OMB

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see Alaska limiting NRs as their licensing fees are/were around 80% of revenue. This becomes a big deal as it qualifies for 3 to 1 matching funds from Pittman Robertson.

The factor that will limit NRs is the diminishing quantity of game animals [sheep & caribou] and the dwindling salmon returns. Many NRs now realize there are guides selling hunts for wildlife they have very little chance of finding.
they could start by charging residents for their sheep tags. AK gets their max PR funds anyhow according to ADFG so a few less NR sheep hunters isn’t going to affect the budget at all.

The state should need less money to manage the wildlife since there is a whole hell of a lot less ungulates to manage. 😂

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m sure the outfitter industry would be on board with a large nonresident license cut.

cbeard64

WKR
The Federal Government owns 60+% of Alaska so yes they plow lotsa $$$$ into Alaska.

Yep just like most all western states too. Which makes the treatment of nonresidents like red-headed stepchildren when it comes to hunting there all the more galling.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
You, sir, reveal both your character and your ignorance with every post.
Ok, like a true Texan you like to talk about people places and topics you know nothing about. Let’s switch gears from you not knowing me and get you talking about something else you know nothing about. Alaska sheep. What’s your experience? Since you’re friends with Jerry Lee I’m very interested in your opinion and experience.

Tell us about your alaska sheep hunting experiences!

Snyd

WKR
I’d like to see all registered guides required to be Alaskan residents as well. Add that to the list. Pimp the state’s resources? Keep your spending money here, pilgrim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not gonna happen. Interstate Commerce Law. AK could require that the Guide accompany the client in the field not an Assistant. Leave the assistant at camp cooking or accompanying the Guide and hunter as a packer. But that won’t happen. The state will continue to sell an unlimited number of NR tags which will continue to drive the “One Guide Multiple Assistant Guide” industry.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll just leave this here.

The Federal Government owns 60+% of Alaska so yes they plow lotsa $$$$ into Alaska.
I mean if we break it down a little bit, and really look at those numbers... Connecticut (3.6M population) is getting 24 Billion $$ ... meanwhile Alaska who is 118 times bigger than Connecticut with three times less the population (733k) is getting $6B in federal aid. Based off of the numbers provided.. so not really alot when bumping number against just one of the smallest states in the US.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if you have no experience on alaska sheep hunting you have to reach really far on such subjects as federal money. 7 years of school and can’t afford a stone. Stuck in the heat. I can sympathize with the irrelevant outbursts. I apologize if any were due to me. Sorry!

Anyone with first hand experience on lamb to ewe ratio in DCUA or TMA?

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
@cbeard64 Feds are the most anti NR hunter organization of anyone up here under the guise of subsistence.

That's what you should be upset about.

I guess if you have no experience on alaska sheep hunting you have to reach really far on such subjects as federal money. 7 years of school and can’t afford a stone. Stuck in the heat. I can sympathize with the irrelevant outbursts. I apologize if any were due to me. Sorry!

Anyone with first hand experience on lamb to ewe ratio in DCUA or TMA?
Yes. Delta noticeably better than the TMA.

How many 40" rams killed? Two, three?

I think 40" rams are talked about like 30" mule deer (or 16" antelope)- but they are rare; very, very rare- yet it seems like everyone has killed one :ROFLMAO:
I killed my first sheep (other than aoudad) this season on August 26th in the Alaskan Range. We knew he was a good one, but I was ecstatic when he broke the 40" mark. F&G aged him at 9 years old. He has 14-2/8" bases too.

Attachments

• My Ram.jpg
    My Ram.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 88
  • My Ram1.jpg
    My Ram1.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 88
  • My Ram2.jpg
    My Ram2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 89