Affordable Elk/Deer knife

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Whatever you get make sure it has an orange handle, not camo or you will be buying a second knife after your first animal is field dressed.
Outdoor Edge
Mora
Buck
Victorinox are all good choices in your budget
That camo even fools me sometimes too! 😂

OP
H

HappyHuntr

All right I'm thinking of getting a Havalon piranta. They do seem to have slightly small blades though. Yall seem to like them but I jus wonder

All right I'm thinking of getting a Havalon piranta. They do seem to have slightly small blades though. Yall seem to like them but I jus wonder
I have one, only time I ever used it is to skin out a skull. I hate the tiny surgical blades but other guys love them. It's all a matter of technique. I also don't like the idea of changing out blades with bloody hands in the field. If you're just learning I'd steer you away from it but I'm probably gonna get dog piled for that comment. :)

sargent

WKR
If you're only going to have one knife, I'd get a fixed blade and a sharpener. Those tiny scalpel blades are easy to snap and changing them always feels like an accident waiting to happen. I've had good luck with the Esee Izula and Mora Pro C. If you're dead set on a replaceable blade, I'd go with the outdoor edge.

I am not a fan of the havalon to start out with. The Outdoor Edge would be a better option in my opinion because of the durability and replacement system. The OE zipper is also very nice. Plus, you will have some money left to find a decent fixed blade to compliment with.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I would be unlikely to hand my 15 year old self a havalon and a large animal.
That’s what i thought. Not too small for obvious reasons and not too big to avoid miscuts. Thanks for showing me that for sale thread by the way.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Another thing, maybe this doesn’t matter but I hunt of my Klx-140 dirt bike with a small pack for water and my rain gear + some odds and ends in there so maybe a folding knife or something i can put on my pack and not my belt/ pants

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
If I had $75 to spend on a knife....I would get a Mora Companion, a folding Gerber Gatormate, and a worksharp pivot sharpener. May even have enough $$ leftover for a snickers.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Thanks for the info @Dwight2180. Also that Mora Pro C is listed at 12.50 us. Is that right? If so that’s a screaming deal.

JGTWI

WKR
I have a Buck 102 that’s been for sale on here for a week+ that’s had no interest. Not what I’d necessarily pick for a beginner’s do-all knife, but it’s yours if you want it.

Just pm me your mailing address. It’s certainly good enough to get you started, then you’ve got $75 to devote towards other things.

I have a Buck 102 that’s been for sale on here for a week+ that’s had no interest. Not what I’d necessarily pick for a beginner’s do-all knife, but it’s yours if you want it.

Just pm me your mailing address. It’s certainly good enough to get you started, then you’ve got $75 to devote towards other things.
That's freaking awesome man, good on you!

JGTWI

WKR

This is with the caveat that I’m allowed to ship a knife to someone under 18- if anyone has knowledge on this it would be appreciated.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info @Dwight2180. Also that Mora Pro C is listed at 12.50 us. Is that right? If so that’s a screaming deal.
Yep, that's the price. I don't have a pro C but have a few companions. $15-18 US most places. YT is full of mora videos and they are definitely worth the coin. When I was 15 I would've abused a knife, lost and needed another one, that's why I recommended Mora.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
This is with the caveat that I’m allowed to ship a knife to someone under 18- if anyone has knowledge on this it would be appreciated.
I think that depends on your state & his....he may be in Canada???