Affordable Elk/Deer knife

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Thanks JGTWI. Got a lot going on. Have an international baseball tournament in a few days but will try to get back to you tomorrow. Thank yu yal are very kind. Will find out the shipping deal if I reach you tomorrow.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Ok realized an issue. Because i’m new I can’t PM (still don’t know what that means) I think I can in 5 days or so. Thank you though very kind 👍🏼

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, is there a special way to do it?
Yes. When you want to PM someone, click on their name or handle at the top of their comment. This will pull up a box, click "start conversation" in the bottom right. The message can only be seen by you and the person you send it too.

JGTWI

WKR
I think you have to be a registered user here for a certain period of time.

I’m sad to say that as I look into it though I don’t think I’ll be able to send a fixed blade knife to someone under 18. If you’re in Canada that just further complicates things.

Now that I feel like an ass, I wish I would have thought of that…

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Sorry about the U.S. dollars thing. I was trying not to confuse anybody… guess that backfired

rclouse79

WKR
I didn’t read the replies and would guess this has already been said many times. Buy a havalon and be done with it. Review your knife safety before you use it so you don’t lose any body parts.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I’m in the morakniv club, the carbon steel model is $20 on Amazon or eBay and are super easy to keep sharp
victornox paring knives come in a 3 pack and also will knock out a elk
a cheap crock stick or pocket sharpener
4 knives and a sharpener = >$40

Rich M

WKR
My fav hunting knife is a Buck 110 folder. It’s a heavy knife and holds and edge very well.

I use an electric sharpener before a hunt and a pull thru sharpener if necessary in the field. If it goes dull im in the middle od something and want to keep on keeping on so couple swipes and back cutting.

For those who say both electric and pull sharpeners are bad, knife is about 25 yrs old and looks like new.

Taudisio

WKR
I was thinking about that

No hard feelings JGTWI, I’ve decided on a Mora pro c or s model
Get the stainless so it doesn’t get rusty sitting around. I’d still grab the outdoor edge for the meat work. Your only at about $50 for a good, safe, sharp, and sturdy setup

OP
H

HappyHuntr

All right, decided on mora knives, but can’t decide between the Pro 3.6” stainless blade or the companion knife with 4.1” carbon steel blade. The companion has a nice orange blade but is like 8-9$ more.

Taudisio

WKR
They have a lot more options than those two as well! I still recommend a stainless for your age, from experience.

JGTWI

WKR
I’d definitely go with the companion. Orange handle is a good idea for sure.

I’d second the stainless as well. You can put a patina on the carbon blades to help with corrosion resistance, but they still rust pretty easily.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I was thinking about that

No hard feelings JGTWI, I’ve decided on a Mora pro c or s model
stainless is nice ( harder to field maintance)
the carbon steel, you can vinagar soak to patina to prevent rust
my stainless mora serrated is handy also
#1pic is a buck from walmart & C mora buying both is still in your budget
and imo 100% better than a havalon A521CC54-2152-474A-B180-5A98BC1A5908.jpeg98624482-18B5-46B1-9FE5-A9337F4FAADB.jpeg

Last edited: