Affordable Elk/Deer knife

Literally ANY knife will be fine. This year I forgot to pack my knife from camp and quartered a deer using one of the cheapo replacement blades for my outdoor edge (luckily had that with me). I don’t get the whole knife obsession thing. Buy a $20 knife and spend the rest on ammo to practice

Literally ANY knife will be fine. This year I forgot to pack my knife from camp and quartered a deer using one of the cheapo replacement blades for my outdoor edge (luckily had that with me). I don’t get the whole knife obsession thing. Buy a $20 knife and spend the rest on ammo to practice
You're not wrong. I skinned and quartered a small whitetail with my Leatherman Blast multi tool long ago when I somehow lost my not-orange knife that trip.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
This is a fascinating response to a 15 year old kid just starting out.
You’re right. I’m sorry.

I meant to say - Try the search function. Not only has this been discussed at length, but there was an informative thread on the same basic topic just last month.

100% , I probably have $2000 in knives I don’t use much
a mora companion and a dexter filet knife do 99% of my deer , elk , sheep
Yep my dexter gets the most use of any knife I’ve ever owned between fish and butchering! Best $26 I ever spent

IMO if i am going the cheap route I would say an outdoor edge or something like that with replaceable blades. I pack around a replaceable blade knife with a couple blades and also a Montana Knife

OP
H

HappyHuntr

They have a lot more options than those two as well! I still recommend a stainless for your age, from experience
I know, that’s just what I saw on amazon so… yeah

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I found it! Orange handled Mora companion with 4.1” sandvik stainless steel blade. 20$ with tax on amazon. Thank you all so much and thanks for the offer JGTWI. I honestly didn’t know if i would get a response so thank you so much 🙏🏼

Felix40

WKR

Taudisio

WKR
I found it! Orange handled Mora companion with 4.1” sandvik stainless steel blade. 20$ with tax on amazon. Thank you all so much and thanks for the offer JGTWI. I honestly didn’t know if i would get a response so thank you so much 🙏🏼
I have the same mora sitting in a camping tote. Sandvik steel is my absolute favorite. I carry a kershaw leek everywhere. Just as easy to sharpen as 440, but easier to get wicked sharp and holds its edge longer. I still think you should have a replaceable blade knife for your “companion” (pun intended). But you are off to a fantastic start!

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I have the same mora sitting in a camping tote. Sandvik steel is my absolute favorite. I carry a kershaw leek everywhere. Just as easy to sharpen as 440, but easier to get wicked sharp and holds its edge longer. I still think you should have a replaceable blade knife for your “companion” (pun intended). But you are off to a fantastic start!
I'll get a replaceable blade someday. The stainless Mora seems like a good starting point.

Taudisio

WKR
Outdoor edge 3.5, orange...
+ regular blades
+ gut hook blades
still want to try the 5" blades
Gut hooks are more of a hindrance. The 5” blades are great. You can’t close the knife when the blades are in though!

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I’m in the morakniv club, the carbon steel model is $20 on Amazon or eBay and are super easy to keep sharp
victornox paring knives come in a 3 pack and also will knock out a elk
a cheap crock stick or pocket sharpener
4 knives and a sharpener = >$40
That's my kinda deal! 🤑💸

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Dude…you’re first hunting knife?! That is freeking awesome! I feel like we should have some kind of rokslide ceremony or bone dance to commemorate the moment.

I have still hung on to the first hunting knife I bought with my own money when I was 14. I had no idea what I was getting into and had never field dressed a large animal so I figured the bigger the animal the bigger the blade, hahaha. Can you tell I was an 80’s kid?(rambo):
View attachment 527421

This is an awesome thread and congrats on the first of many knives!
Sound the horns! 📯🎺🎷🥁

Go buy a CRKT folder for 20 bucks and learn to be good with that. Chances are you will leave it in one of the first couple of gut piles you make anyway. The replaceable blades knives are cool and not expensive, but not necessary either.

Go buy a CRKT folder for 20 bucks and learn to be good with that. Chances are you will leave it in one of the first couple of gut piles you make anyway. The replaceable blades knives are cool and not expensive, but not necessary either.
CRKT never gets any love. One of my favorites of the "not super expensive" knives: https://www.crkt.com/mossback-hunter.html