Affordable Elk/Deer knife

H

HappyHuntr

Howdy, New to big game and will probably start hunting deer and elk this season at 15 years old. On a <75$ budget. Also what is the best size, shape, etc. Just looking for experiences and person preference. Thanks!

Vaultman

WKR
Lots of people like different things. I would suggest something with a decent curved belly and fixed blade. If backpack hunting light weight may be desired by most, but I do not lean that way on a knife.
Personally I am not a fan of the gut hook on them, but I do use one with it (wifey got it for me). I find the gut hook is good for only 5 cuts (gut and each leg).

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
For afordable/cheap...

Have butchered quite a few critters with a 6in foldable rapala filet knife.

Blade dosnt hold a great edge but a few quick passes over a stone and your good to go.

wnelson14

WKR
I broke down a whole elk with an Esee Izulla 2, worked just fine. Randy Newberg gerber 3 blade pack seems like a decent for the price.
I’m sure something out there with s30 or s35vn steel would workout just fine.

OP, I have a lot of high end and low end knives and everything in between. I don't hunt without my KOA Whitetail Hunter, it's not the best steel but certainly not the worst (D2) but it's just the one that always ends up going with me. It's a little out of your budget but figured I'd mention it in case you're patient and find a sale or want to stretch. I don't gut animals anymore, haven't for many years, but that gut hook is great for rapidly unzipping the skin from the legs and connecting the cuts into the belly and it hardly cuts any hair doing it that way which keeps things cleaner. You could also just go with a $25 Buck paklite and bring an $8 drag-through sharpener with you and spend the rest of your cash on other things, or spend it on a 2nd knife in case you misplace your 1st one.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Lots of people like different things. I would suggest something with a decent curved belly and fixed blade. If backpack hunting light weight may be desired by most, but I do not lean that way on a knife.
Personally I am not a fan of the gut hook on them, but I do use one with it (wifey got it for me). I find the gut hook is good for only 5 cuts (gut and each leg).
Thanks for the feedback. If you must have 1 all purpose knife, should it be a gut hook?

Geewhiz

WKR
Obviously personal preference but I'd get a havalon piranta. I've put mine through the ringer and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Broken down alot of elk, deer, bears, and antelope with mine and find it hard to beat.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive broken down dozens of animals with a Havalon. Maybe pick up a Gerber fixed blade for the real thick hide on a bulls neck and for separating joints and heads

Taudisio

WKR
I have used a ton of different knives. If I was going to recommend something specifically for breaking down an animal, it would be the Outdoor Edge 3.5" RazorLite EDC. It’s made for slicing. It’s not an heirloom, nor a prybar. They are $30 on Amazon. $25 for a ton of replacement blades. Watch videos of how to clean using the gutless method. I have a few of them and never had an issue, it takes me roughly 2-4 blades for an elk. You use to be able to subscribe to RMEF and get the knife for free, costing $35. You will get a million different suggestions. Most guys carry a knife that has sentimental value. I always have a Buck 110 in my pack, it is a bulletproof backup. The Buck is still brand new after about 8 years of carrying various replacement blade knives. Not a fan of how havalon blades attach to the handle. They take a technique that could easily slip and slice a finger.

I use a havalon paired with a $12 morakniv from Amazon. The mora stays pretty sharp and I’m not worried about popping joints. Keep a few of them around and in the truck.

bmart2622

WKR
You can easily break down an elk with a single Havalon blade, blade changes are simple with the pliers on your multi tool or an understanding of how the blades go on and off and a little practice

Buy a couple of morakniv or victorinox.

The Newberg/Gerber three blade replaceable mentioned above kind of sucks in my opinion. I used it on a few animals and it did not seem to hold much of an edge.

Mag_7s

WKR
+1 for Havalon piranha. Having a replaceable sharp blade is pretty handy. They aren't very expensive, and light weight. However I would also recommend having a folder type for utility stuff and as a back up incase you run out or break all of your blades.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My parents gave me a Buck 110 finger groove folding knife in 1980 when I turned 15. That was my first year hunting big game. I've broken down a gob of elk and deer with that knife over the years. I still have it, but now I use a fixed blade S30V steel knife, and a Havalon. You don't need expensive knives to break down elk and deer. Oh, and I hate gut hook knives. I tried one once, and that dang hook caught up on everything while trying to use it.