Advise on a muzzle brake

Gutshotem

WKR
It's not really necessary, but I'm having some work done to one of my rifles so I've been contemplating a brake but I'm a little confused on the options.

First, I don't wear hearing protection when I hunt and don't plan to start, so it would have to be easily removable after range sessions. My online research tells me that the gen 2 little and micro bastards are pretty good as well as the hellfire brakes. Anyone have any experience with these? Will change in POI be an issue when installing a thread protector for hunting? Also, are any certain size threads preferred over others? The rifle is a 700bdl chambered in 7mm rem mag.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah see above. PLUS the brake will allow you to get sloppier with technique, sloppier with recoil management, and still shoot well at the range. Except then, when you take it off, your technique and recoil management will start mattering again, but you might have gotten lazy about it. If you shoot a ton, it won't matter, but if you don't shoot tons all year, having a brake and then taking it off might set you up to shoot great in practice and then noticeably worse on the shots that matter. Especially on lightweight rifles.

Hellfire self timing brakes are great. I always shoot with ear pro on so I’m not sure about the comments about hearing protection. Do you want to be able see your shot placement because brakes allow you to stay on target and see your shot. I have brakes on most of my rifles, even my .243 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I would advise you to seek advice.

They change poi, and I wouldn't suggest swapping it frequently. Get a can.

OP
Gutshotem

Gutshotem

WKR
Ok, maybe I need to reconsider this decision. I'm about to have the stock replace/bedded and the metal cerakoted so I figured if I was going to add a brake, now would be the time to do it. I'm not really keen on wearing protection when I'm hunting though so it sounds like it's prob not worth the hassle since switching it back and forth will bring about other issues.

As for a can, sooner or later I'll enter the nfa game. My commie state restrictions don't really give me much motivation at the moment.

Hellfire and Little Bastard are great brakes but a little much for a standard sporter contour. Micro bastard is your huckleberry.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
The noise and effectiveness of a brake is pretty subjective, most of them don't bother me at all and some work pretty well at reducing recoil, but my hearing is pretty bad already - mostly because I didn't use any hearing protection while shooting. Yes, there are a few tests out that show what the sound level is behind the rifle (from the shooter's position) and those test prove that there is an increase in sound levels for the shooter but as one tester stated, db increase is subjective for an individual, while a meter might prove that there was an increase in sound levels your ears may not detect it.

The truth is that if you want to reduce recoil then the brake is a good option but if you intend to use at a public only then expect to eventually have somebody tell you to move to one end of the range or not shoot your rifle at that range. For some people the concussion from a brake's sound wave is so intense that they can't even concentrate on their shooting. I have brakes on several rifles but I usually don't shoot them at a public range unless I'm the only person on the line.

The alternative is to just keep not using hearing protection and eventually you wont notice the noise at all.

OP
Gutshotem

Gutshotem

WKR
Thanks for the honest and informative post. The only time I don't wear hearing protection is when I'm hunting, which is why I'd like to be able to take the brake off. I'm not really worried about the range as I only go tues morn and have it to myself.

Yes, but it was sold out when I was looking last week.

APA sells to numerous vendors, here's one that appears to have stock.
GEN 2 MICRO BASTARD

The bastard brake series is loud behind it and no way would i go without ear pro. People at ranges might not appreciate it but I've never had a problem. A polite warning and apology before shooting might be helping. The 300 NM with a fat bastard gets some comments about being a cannon but I've yet to have any angry comments.