Muzzle brake on a backpack rifle (300 win mag)?

Did the plugged feeling and the ringing go away?
Ha, are you in the same boat? The plugged feeling went away within a day or so. The ring I don't notice it as much but I probably notice it once a day right now. Usually when my ear is on a pillow or in wearing muffs or something I can hear the ringing, not as bad as it was but its still there for sure.

Count me in as no brake. During the rut here in Tennessee, a buck can break out a chase and give only a moment to shoot. I don’t have time for hearing pro.

OP
D
Greetings all,

A quick update. Based on a report from a fellow Ruger American owner, I decided to put the brake back on my 300 winny and try it. He reported no major concussive effect or hearing issues while hunting. I didn’t have much trouble with recoil, but I thought it might help me track my shot and get back on target quicker.

I had a shot opportunity on a deer last week and forgot to put in my ear pro. I can say that the factory brake was not all that bad at all.

You tell me, but I’m guessing that a lot of the really bad experiences with brakes on here are from guys that have fancy custom brakes that are much more aggressive in terms of recoil reduction than factory brakes like Ruger’s.