Convertible/ Adjustable Muzzle Brake Options, brakes with quick-change blast shields

Begle1

FNG
It seems to me like it'd be pretty cool to have a convertible or adjustable muzzle brake, that you could use as a brake for recoil reduction when the opportunity calls, or easily close the ports off when you don't want the extra blast.

What are the options for this? Does anybody have experience with something? In particular I'm looking for something that would work with 308's and a 300 win mag. (And a suppressor isn't an option.)

I can find the Matador Arms "Regulator".

The Browning BOSS has a blast shield that threads over it they call the "BOSS-CR". It seems like Browning doesn't sell this as a stand-alone item? But there are quite a few listed on eBay currently.

There is the "BFD" which you put in between the muzzle and the brake... So not easy to take off. Seems like I'd rather have a blast shield that slides forward, or threads off the brake.

This GunTec Spitfire seems like the way to do it, with a shield that threads over the brake, but that's more of a "compensator" rather than a "brake", no?

There are a few "adjustable brakes" like this Odin Works one that seem to be more intended to be "tuneable" rather than to provide for an "off" setting.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can’t imagine why I would want a system like that. I want to shoot it the way I will hunt with it.

I read about the BOSS years ago. It would lock up with Carbon easily and needed too much care.

If you want a tuner, there are newer products to tune the barrel and a brake.

OP
B

Begle1

FNG
It'd sure be nice to be able to "turn off" the muzzle brake when you're prone in dirt or the 7-year-old starts shooting next to you at the range. Or rather, "turn on" the brake when shooting groups by your lonesome. I usually spend more time not wanting one than wanting one.

But the other question I had was how much of a point of impact change there would be with open brake versus closed brake. If POI shift is in any way significant then the idea loses quite a bit of merit.