Advice For Nevada Draw Strategy Next Year

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
I have never hunted out of my State. Still a newbie. Next year will be my third bow season. In my third year I'm ditching the truck and putting on the Kifaru. That being said, I want to put in for Nevada Archery Mule Deer. I am requesting that one of you fine gentlemen please help me out with draw strateg . I have no idea about the different units. I'm from Susanville, and the Units I'd be interested in would probably be Northwest Nevada. Are those decent Units with decent draw odds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WRO

WKR
I've heard the rubies are an easy draw..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would have to look at the map to see what units are where since I've never hunted or lived there. But if I were you I would put pretty hard to draw trophy units as your first 3-4 choices, then your last choice or last two choices would be something like 10 early archery and 7 early archery. Since Nevada looks at all 5 of your choices before moving onto the next application it doesn't hurt to swing for the fences on your first few choices.

I believe 7 and 10 would be fairly close to where you are talking about and some of the easier draw odds.

Regards, Branden

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to look at the map to see what units are where since I've never hunted or lived there. But if I were you I would put pretty hard to draw trophy units as your first 3-4 choices, then your last choice or last two choices would be something like 10 early archery and 7 early archery. Since Nevada looks at all 5 of your choices before moving onto the next application it doesn't hurt to swing for the fences on your first few choices.

I believe 7 and 10 would be fairly close to where you are talking about and some of the easier draw odds.

Regards, Branden

Thanks bro! Yeah I'm a dam rookie when it comes to hunting out of state. I'll keep that in mind for sure!

The rubies are the area 10 hunt I was talking about. It's actually units 101-108 I believe.

Calbuck

WKR
If you want to hunt northwest Nevada, you may have to wait a few years to draw..those units (011-015) don't offer many non resident tags. You could check the draw odds for the late archery hunt in 021. I've heard that can be a good hunt. Odds in NV are steep for NR

sneaky

"DADDY"
They cut a lot of tags from the NR pool in the Rubies this year. Don't anticipate it will be any different for next year. I have one point now so that'll help a bit, but not much.

Probably cut unit 6 next year also. They are having a emergency doe hunt that starts soon ,
1000 rifle tags. Numbers will be down next season.

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to hunt northwest Nevada, you may have to wait a few years to draw..those units (011-015) don't offer many non resident tags. You could check the draw odds for the late archery hunt in 021. I've heard that can be a good hunt. Odds in NV are steep for NR

Yeah my bubble got burst last night! Lol. Looks like I'll be putting in for a while before I get the go ahead! Haha

OP
Brandon Guitierez

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
Man I wonder how South Cox gets it done ever year!? Thanks for the realistic advice.

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would open up your range rather than limiting yourself to only the northwest corner of the state. Personally, I like to hunt every year, so I'm willing to put in for an area that is a little further away and maybe doesn't have a great success rate, but has a wilderness area that will require some sweat equity to find bucks. Find a unit like that with half decent draw odds and then just hope for the best.