Unit suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

New to the Rokslide forums and just wanted to introduce myself and also get opinions on units.

I am from Texas and have spent the past 2 years hunting whitetail on my own property. This last season, I was able to bag a nice 10-point buck, and now I'm looking toward the 2024 season to expand outside of just whitetail and occasional pigs.

I am currently in a debate about putting in for New Mexico or not. I've read a lot of things across many forums saying there are not many mule deer. I've also talked to some buddies who hunt the areas I would want to hunt, and they said it's a tough hunt for muleys. Elk is a different story, but the chance of a non-resident draw is slim. So, I shift my eyes toward Colorado. I am looking for suggestions on units to apply to with no points on hand. I am thinking I will use my first choice on a preference point and then try to draw from there.

It would be me and my brother going on this hunt, or possibly myself going solo. We are on a more limited budget this year, so my thoughts are to find a unit where we can possibly find a good area with vehicle access, set up camp at the truck, then day pack in a few miles every day.

So far, Colorado units 7, 15, 33, 27 stand out to me when doing some e-scouting. Elk over-the-counter is a plus but not needed this year. Any suggestions on which units to look into would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.