Which sight?

I'm in the process if building a new setup for this coming season. For the past 12 years I have used the Spot Hogg 7 pin fixed. (Western game hunter) I like the quick ability to shoot out to farther distances for follow up shots, etc, but have realized the need for more precision if I have the time pre-shot to dial a slider. I have narrowed down my choices to either a Montana Black Gold or an Option Archery sight. I really like the black Gold pin brightness, but also really like the ability to open the housing on an Option sight and declutter the sight picture.

I have not recently handled an Option sight and am wondering how bright their pins are in comparison to a black Gold? Any thoughts?

The option will limit your range and is pretty heavy. I know a couple guys who have purchased them and aren’t happy with the sight tape distance. If you don’t plan on shooting 80+ it probably doesn’t matter though.
I have a CBE Trek pro and am very pleased with it. I don’t have one negative thing to say about it. Out of the two you have listed I’d take the black gold. You will be limited to 80-90 yards with the option, you will be able to shoot out 100+ with the BG. I’m shooting 290fps and can shot 130 with my CBE.

I have two Fast Eddies and a Hogg Father. I like all of them. The SH sights have been flawless for me albeit they’re a little on the heavier side.

The option will limit your range and is pretty heavy. I know a couple guys who have purchased them and aren’t happy with the sight tape distance. If you don’t plan on shooting 80+ it probably doesn’t matter though.
I have a CBE Trek pro and am very pleased with it. I don’t have one negative thing to say about it. Out of the two you have listed I’d take the black gold. You will be limited to 80-90 yards with the option, you will be able to shoot out 100+ with the BG. I’m shooting 290fps and can shot 130 with my CBE.
Would you recommend a 5 pin or 3? I'm assuming you set the bottom pin as your dial pin?

Would you recommend a 5 pin or 3? I'm assuming you set the bottom pin as your dial pin?
I like 5 pins, I shot a 6 pin fixed before sliders came out. I’ve been shooting a 5 pin slider ever since like 2012 and have no gripes. My bottom pin is my rover pin, however I also have an indicator that is set for my 50 so I could use that if I dial and an animal walks a little closer. I’ve never used that function though and probably never will.

You get more range from a 5 pin since it’s lower in the housing too. Especially with elk hunting they move so much that I like being able to just swap pins. My average shot distance is 42 yards on elk, lots of shots in the 45-60 range and a few very close up. I’d have to dial a lot with a 3 pin at those ranges and i think dialing would have cost me a few of those elk.

I’ve only dialed my sight for 1 elk that I killed and a couple deer. Most everything has been covered just using the 5 pins 20-60 which I prefer.

I can get 115 yds out of my Option 8s (fixed oval housing) at 295 fps. The Option models with a fixed circular housing (4s/6s) will be more limited on max range. Their new Canyon Pounder model, however, has a movable housing and can compete with other brands on max range.

Take a look at the Dialed archery sights. Pretty nice. I shoot a MBG single pin. The best sight I’ve ever had but my next one will be a Dialed.

I like the 5 pin sights also. I have a fast Eddy, wife does too. It's simple, super tough, and easy to adjust.

Looking back, I may have gone with a 3 pin. Some guys set them up 30,40,50. I prefer the regular 20, 30, 40. Can't go wrong wither way.

I'm not familiar with the black gold sights, but they are really good sights. I base this on a guy I know who is sponsored by spot hogg, but chose a black gold for his hunting bow. He liked the fast Eddy, but there was something about the black gold he liked more.

You can always get different sight housings. I have a 2 pin for mine that I switched to for 3D.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I️ have an axcel landslyde with a UV 3 pin housing. Pins are 20 30 40 with the middle pin as the rover. I️ like having everything centered. The UV housing also has a 4th pin at the very bottom that I️ use as a second Rover. I️ can get out to 130+ with it. I’m considering changing the 3 pins to 30 40 and 50.

If you want 3 or more pins, option canyon pounder 100%. Otherwise spit hogg tommy hogg double pin.

Just went through this exercise & went with one of the custom Black Gold sights from S&S (I think it was the streamline pro HD) There's several options using the standard models & get the features you want.
Highly recommend them

I have an Option 8 oval also, I use 3 pins in the fixed housing plus the mover.
The oval allows for quite a bit more distance. I have never tested it's max range, longest I have shot with it was 110 yards. I would guess that the pin room I still had at 110 would allow for around 125 yards or so. That was with an arrow setup doing 290 fps or so. The sight has more room to be moved closer to the riser, I had that setup one adjustment towards the riser from the halfway point on the dovetail. Closer to the riser would give even more range. Plus, I use my mover pin as my 20 yard pin with the fixed window closed, so I didn't sight 20 in with the mover pin clear at the top of its adjustment, I didn't want a normal hunting shot distance to have the pin so high up in the housing.

Really like the option canyon pounder. I had a lot of hesitation because I couldn’t handle one before buying, but love it. It’s heavy, no getting around that…

I really like my Black Gold custom from S&S (had it about 4 years now). But on the bow I'm building now I'm using a Exact Comp Hunter from B3.

Last edited:
I have both. You will give up pin brightness on the Option. I tried a custom 5 pin canyon pounder on my new bow this year and really like being able to flip it open and use as a single pin. The S&S backcountry black gold 5 pin is also hard to beat. I don't shoot past 80, so they are a toss-up for me. I would definitely opt for green as my slider pin color on the Option if I did it again (and may change it yet). I like to shoot green, green, yellow, green, green on a 5 pin. The Option's yellow pin leaves a little to be desired on brightness IMO.

I went 5 pin BG Pro sight custom pinned from S&S. Loving how everything is micro adjust. Also I really like how I have pins out to 70 yards. 1st pin is 27 which works out to low 30s and then 40-70. If I am shooting past 70 I need precision and will slide. Inside of that I can gap and don't have move anything. Without the clutter of 7 pins.

For solely hunting purposes, a 2” sight housing Montana Black Gold sight in either a fixed or sliding configuration. Utilize the largest peep sight you possibly can, be it 1/4” or 5/16” so those first & last light shots don’t get you.

I mainly bow hunt Georgia in dense foliage with the average shot around 25 yards. I ditched the sliders and have a fixed 5 pin Montana Black Gold Rush with a 2” sight housing and a 5/16” peep.

I’ve tried so many different sight configurations, brands etc… for bow hunting and Montana Black Gold’s pin brightness has brought me back to them 3x now.

For a “Western” setup where long range is more important, I’d opt for a Montana Black Gold Dual Trac or 3 pin slider in a 2” sight housing with a 1/4” peep.
*Dual Trac’s aren’t available in 2” sight housings unfortunately*

Spott Hoggs are great, but they’re heavy, bulky and the pin brightness is awful. I don’t want to use a sight light because it will wash out your sight picture of the animal.

My .02 after going back and fourth between different sights for nearly a decade

Back