Nevada Draw Strategy

I am a North Idaho resident and currently sit with 2 points in Nevada. I began purchasing points in Nevada as an opportunity to hunt one of the early archery seasons in a unit/state reasonably close to home. I only purchased points the last two years because with other priorities I wasn't going to make the hunt happen. This year I plan to enter in the draw, I am not in Nevada for the long game I am simply looking at the early archery seasons in relatively easy to draw units ideally in the more Northern part of the state making it easier for me to travel south for a minimum of 1 scouting trip so I am taking that into consideration in my unit choice. I have spent a little time in the state but never hunting other than jackrabbits and coyotes' I have always had a "dream" of hunting the high country in the Ruby's, unfortunately from what I gather so does everyone else and I should have got on the wagon a little earlier. I still am considering those units as options because ultimately that is the experience I want to have (minus the amount of hunters), also those units are a little closer for me than some others I am considering like the 180's and 170's series units. I have poured over gohunt and done quite a bit of internet research including on this forum I plan to make contacts with biologists and others prior to applying I just want to do everything I can on my end first. I guess to lay it out there my goals for the hunt are to hunt in an area with higher buck/doe ratios and higher deer density than we have in Idaho in general and therefore more stalk opportunities. Second I want to harvest a "mature deer" I know that gets thrown around alot but score is secondary to me, that said I plan to scout and I will let that determine what my goal is as far as trophy quality if I was forced to put a number on it I would say my goal is 160 plus mass/character mean more to me than score at this point. Physical ability is not a limitation, I have pack goats and plan to use them on this hunt, likely I will be able to block out 10 days straight including travel. Obviously my draw od's are still relatively low but I want to pick the right unit in the event I do draw this year with 2 points. My hope is to get some thoughts from either residents or those who have hunted the Nevada early archery seasons. My hope is to hunt high country but I am willing to consider other units with good mule deer habitat and the chance of drawing within a few years some of the units on the Idaho/nevada border are tempting and good draw ods, the Jarbidge would be awesome but I don't think I am willing to build points for that long. I haven't hunted other states at this point but I get around in Idaho and I would be happy to reciprocate if anybody plans to hunt here just send me a PM. I appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks for getting this started. I can't answer your question but I am also curious to see what people say. I am planning to do my first out of state Idaho hunt this year so I will keep my ears open for Utah info. It would be nice to swap info. I will let you know.

MuleyJake

FNG
I’m a nevada resident and know the lay of the land very well and know where some huge deer are in most units so if you would like to swap some info shoot me a pm shooting a I could help you shooting a 160 mature buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Eastman528
Thanks for getting this started. I can't answer your question but I am also curious to see what people say. I am planning to do my first out of state Idaho hunt this year so I will keep my ears open for Utah info. It would be nice to swap info. I will let you know.
No problem, I am a little confused by your comment. Do you mean you are hunting Idaho as a non-resident of first hunt out of the state of Idaho? I started the thread in regard to Nevada so not sure what Utah has to do with it.

OP
Eastman528
I’m a nevada resident and know the lay of the land very well and know where some huge deer are in most units so if you would like to swap some info shoot me a pm shooting a I could help you shooting a 160 mature buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate that, not looking for deer here just trying to get a feel of what to expect out of the various units in Nevada that offer early archery opportunities that are relatively easy to draw. I sent you a PM.

2blade

WKR
Its been about 20 years but I've seen some toads in 031, 032, and 061. There's big bucks in 7 too. Area 10 isn't really known for toads, nice ones sure, but not for anything over 180. Other than that, I've seen big bucks on every unit I hunted in the state, just about everything north of Highway 70, over the course of 30 years.

OP
Eastman528
Its been about 20 years but I've seen some toads in 031, 032, and 061. There's big bucks in 7 too. Area 10 isn't really known for toads, nice ones sure, but not for anything over 180. Other than that, I've seen big bucks on every unit I hunted in the state, just about everything north of Highway 70, over the course of 30 years.
Hey, I appreciate the feedback I'll shoot you a PM.

Same here Eastman. I've kicked around parts of Nevada for work and play and would be happy to share a few things I know.

OP
Eastman528
Starting this thread up again cuz low and behold I was fortunate to draw my 4th choice with 2 points this year. I got the 10 tag/101-109. I guess if you want to draw do it on a year fuel prices are at an all time high and while you are remodeling your home haha. I think I have a realistic perception of what the tag is and expectations for the hunt. I might start another thread but I appreciate everyone feed back and I might reach out again to some of those who responded to this thread.

Starting this thread up again cuz low and behold I was fortunate to draw my 4th choice with 2 points this year. I got the 10 tag/101-109. I guess if you want to draw do it on a year fuel prices are at an all time high and while you are remodeling your home haha. I think I have a realistic perception of what the tag is and expectations for the hunt. I might start another thread but I appreciate everyone feed back and I might reach out again to some of those who responded to this thread.
Jealous, been wanting to do a high country hunt there for years!

OP
Eastman528
Jealous, been wanting to do a high country hunt there for years!
Same here! I wasn't really expecting to draw it this year but I am excited for the opportunity and hopefully with allot of work can make the best of it.

Braaap

WKR
Congrats! I’ve hunted that area several times and drew the early rifle this year. I really enjoy those mountains. I’ve seen some real nice bucks taken up high.

OP
Eastman528
Congrats! I’ve hunted that area several times and drew the early rifle this year. I really enjoy those mountains. I’ve seen some real nice bucks taken up high.
Thank you and same to you! I'm gonna shoot you a PM.