Added extra pressure of drawing a really great tag

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a very low odds elk tag last year and the pressure to kill a monster bull was pretty high leading into the hunt. Actually, really stressful. Deal was this place is supposedly capable of producing 400 class bulls and is relatively easy to hunt, so that was the goal. Pass on big bulls to make it happen. After doing just that by lunchtime on opening day and telling myself that “I’m actually going to do this…” the stress kind of melted away. I realized that no set of antlers on the wall were going to replace how awesome that opening morning was and realizing no matter the end result, I was going to be good with it. Turns out those first two bulls were two of the three biggest I saw on that trip. Hunted our tails off but never saw a bull at or really near 400. Ended up killing a small 6 pt around lunch on the last day. I may never have a chance at bulls like that again, those three were give or take 350”. But that’s ok. The memories of that hunt, in its entirety, are more than enough and in the end the stress leading into the hunt was altogether silly in the first place.

Who has drawn a great low odds limited tag or a once in lifetime tag?

After the initial excitement of actually drawing the tag did you feel any additional pressure of drawing that tag?

Others expectations adding additional pressure to you, you adding pressure to yourself for nearly the same reasons.

For example knowing you'll likely never draw it again or everyone just assuming since you drew that you'll kill a monster.

Just trying to get others perspective on this for a podcast I'm working on.

Yes, and it's not worth worrying about what others think on what animal you shoot. It will ruin your hunt.

Just enjoy it and have fun.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My OIL Gemsbok was a 2 day event, and the 2nd day was forecast for
up to 60-70mph gusts on the White Sands.
I kept thinking the day before "we gotta get it done tomorrow", and I'm
glad we did because that night the winds hit hard.
Very satisfying lying in the hotel bedroom that night, knowing the
tag was filled and didnt need to hunt in that stuff.
Sounded like a hurricane that night.

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
I have drawn 3 once in a lifetime tags. Oryx on the white sands in NM, Desert Bighorn in AZ and now I have a Mountain goat tag in UT. It definitely adds pressure but the key is to do the prep work so you can truly cherish the hunt when it’s time.

I have had several of these tags. My goal on every high pressure/high point/OIL hunt is to hunt as hard as I possibly can for the duration of the time I am there. If you get a great critter awesome, if you dont then at least you won't have any regrets about the hunt because you hung it all out.

WoodBow

WKR
I will weigh in from the other side of things. Some of my most enjoyable hunts are when I did not have a tag, but was just along for the ride with a buddy who did. Zero pressure. Just having fun.

Our whole family in 2018 drew Missouri breaks rifle elk tags. I put a large amount of unrealistic expectations on myself for the tag of holding out for a big bull and passed on an elk i shouldn’t have. Ended up shooting something that was the norm of what we were consistently seeing.

The hunting sucked for us. As compared to the reality we created in our heads. We hiked every nasty drainage we wanted to and consistently were only able to turn up small bulls. Plus the people pressure was crazy. Never saw a big elk at all even in the viewing area for the three weeks we were there.

Other people’s perceptions of the tag matched our original perceptions also. Everyone assumed it was a guarantee to kill a monster and some even had stories of other people’s success with wonderful trophies.

What the experience taught me is drawing a hard to draw tag is a privilege. And be happy that you get the opportunity to try something different. Try your hardest because in the end you know you gave it your best effort. Success comes in many forms and you never know what may happen at anytime. The next year my husband shot a 330 bull in the general area we hunt and we were ecstatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXCO

WKR
I drew 3 random lottery tags this year (Im counting CO moose as random since points dont seem to matter anymore). Ive never drawn a lottery tag before. Im really feeling the pressure at the moment as I try to map out schedules. No real chance to get the tags again so my wife agreed I have to hunt them. I wish Id drawn with preference points just to return one. Honestly, they wont be the experiences I originally thought since Ill have to be dividing my time this fall over all 3. Heck were even trying to move a family vacation to next year so we can go scout moose as a family.

What am I doing about it? Im changing my expectations for size since Ill have fewer hunt days. Im trying to remain flexible in order to play the weather as we get closer and target prime dates on my tags. Ive been talking to outfitters to help on two of the hunts. Im going to take my wife somewhere fantastic next year for being so supportive.

Well see how it goes. It will be an epic fall that Ill remember forever.

Rich M

WKR
I drew 3 random lottery tags this year (Im counting CO moose as random since points dont seem to matter anymore). Ive never drawn a lottery tag before. Im really feeling the pressure at the moment as I try to map out schedules. No real chance to get the tags again so my wife agreed I have to hunt them. I wish Id drawn with preference points just to return one. Honestly, they wont be the experiences I originally thought since Ill have to be dividing my time this fall over all 3. Heck were even trying to move a family vacation to next year so we can go scout moose as a family.

What am I doing about it? Im changing my expectations for size since Ill have fewer hunt days. Im trying to remain flexible in order to play the weather as we get closer and target prime dates on my tags. Ive been talking to outfitters to help on two of the hunts. Im going to take my wife somewhere fantastic next year for being so supportive.

Well see how it goes. It will be an epic fall that Ill remember forever.

Enjoy your epic year of hunting. Moose and 2 guided hunts. Pretty neat.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

After the initial excitement of actually drawing the tag did you feel any additional pressure of drawing that tag?

Others expectations adding additional pressure to you, you adding pressure to yourself for nearly the same reasons.

For example knowing you'll likely never draw it again or everyone just assuming since you drew that you'll kill a monster.

I’ve ate some pretty epic tags. I don’t feel any remorse as I gave 100%. You still learn and grow and can appreciate the experience without filling the tag. I’ve got more regret on hunts I could go on every year and did not do all I could.

Outwest

WKR
Drawing an OIL tag comes along with some natural anxiety. There’s a lot of variables outside of your control and if those variables lead to you not being successful, too bad, that was your chance. The anxiety for me really came in when I put so much pressure on myself to make it happen, regardless of the circumstances. The best mindset is working hard and knowing that if it is meant to be then it will. A great tag is just a ticket to the show and doesn't guarantee a thing.

Looking back, I wish I would’ve done more to enjoy the experience. I’ve spent too many days with good tags in my pocket being almost miserable because of the pressure I put on it. Definitely something to work on.

Last edited:
I felt a lot of pressure when my stepson drew his RM Bighorn sheep tag last year. The combination of me wanting him to kill the biggest ram in the unit (oh, and have fun), & him only having a few days before his school / football schedule got busy really added the pressure. I will say scouting definitely helps alleviate the pressure, and anxiety is exchanged for confidence. I also would recommend guys keep quiet after drawing a OIL tag, and keep the circle small. Posting for the whole world to see only adds to the pressure / self-imposed expectations

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I would not necessarily say pressure, but different.

My first 2 elk hunts ever were solo archery as a NR in NM. (Over 20 years ago) One of the Gila units. Yes, 2 applications and 2 tags. Too inexperienced and naïve to know what I didn't know. I spotted the biggest bull I have ever seen anywhere on the 2nd day of my first ever elk hunt. (Even to this day)

Also drew CO elk archery unit in 2015. Cashed in double digit points. Did feel some pressure on this one to kill one. (I had been on a dry streak!).

In 2017, I drew an elk tag. (random, <5% odds). Because I gave myself 3 weeks, I didn't feel pressured. I had opportunities and did not capitalize. (Varies mistakes!) My experiences are still retold to this day! If I was more of a killer, I would have packed out heavy. Maybe I would have been more focused if I put some pressure on myself. The hunting got better every day and I didn't want it to end! But I have never considered this hunt a failure.

WKR

WKR
In 2021 I drew a less than 1% non resident odds pronghorn tag in New Mexico. I did feel a little pressure to shoot a 80" plus buck, so I passed on alot of really nice bucks the first 2 days. It was a three day hunt and I ended up tagging a 75" buck that I am absolutely happy with and I'm glad I dragged it out to the last day. There was 2 record book bucks that I made a play on but never could get inside my effective range.

chasewild

WKR

I love this thread. There are so many reasons why I feel the pressure -- bow hunting, family dynamics, personal identity, self worth, etc.

But the things that help me manage the stress the most are (1) shooting well; and (2) finding an animal I want to hunt (e.g. scouting). If I can't scout (like this year) I do other things like shooting in from exposure, trying to extend my range, removing variables (materials that suck in water), and physical/mental training.

Even now as I write this, I can feel it in my stomach. It's always there.

Extrapale

WKR
I drew Nevada NR bull elk, Oregon Bighorn, and a good Oregon Antelope tag in the same year.

The bighorn tag was stressful at first because the unit is mostly private. After a few scouting trips it all came together, and I had an enjoyable hunt.

The NV bull hunt got a little stressful as the hunt went on. My scouting trip went great. I had messed up a stalk on a big bull early on, and was wondering if I was going to find another. It ended up working out a couple of days later.

The Antelope hunt was not stressful. I was able to have a good scouting trip and a great hunt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Was lucky enough to draw an OIL tag on a below 1% draw unit. Backpack wilderness hunt. Have hunted for many years but never had a tag like this before, never had an overnight backpack hunt miles deep in wilderness before. Never had a panic attack before.

Twice during the preparation stages of gathering gear and making the scouting trip plans I had self diagnosed out of body super nervous hyperventilating panic attacks.

Once I left to go on the first scouting trip, the nervousness stopped. Hunt was a success and the planning paid off. Little bit too much analysis paralyses. Just go enjoy the experience.

bigmoose

WKR
I drew a Nevada California Bighorn tag that I pretty much knew was going to be my only chance to sheep hunt. I had never hunted sheep before but a sheep hunt was always on my bucket list. I was excited to draw and felt like I had hit the lottery.

I did a lot of research before the hunt and was able to come up with what I thought would be a reasonable goal. I wanted a ram that was mature and at least 7 1/2 years old. I don't think I would have shot a smaller ram. It still would have been a great hunt if I did not get one. So, no, I did not feel any pressure. I took a nice 8 1/2 year old ram that I'm very happy with.

I've also drawn a few limited entry mule deer tags. Each time I was excited to have drawn the tag. I only filled one of the tags and had no regrets eating the other tags. Obviously you are not after a young buck in these hunts. Take whatever makes you happy and stick with your goals. I would not feel pressured. I would feel excited to just have a chance at a big buck.

Where I see guys get a lot of pressure is when they have accumulated a bunch of points and want the best hunt with the best chance of getting a whopper. Every year they don't draw it gets worse ... and it's not going to get better. It's the sign of our times and I don't see an answer to it. I know this was not the question but when guys have $2000 or more tied up in application fees and they finally draw, I could see how there might be some pressure. I have dumped all my points. I just want to hunt.

Last edited: