Added extra pressure of drawing a really great tag

sndmn11

WKR
I think mine was mostly self imposed. Just something I’ve wanted to hunt my whole life and here it is. But there is also pressure from your peers in getting it done I think. Not that it matters but they are curious how you do.

With the moose it was the largest antlered bull I located during scouting. There was pressure on myself because I really wanted to get it but was stressed that I would have competition or the bull might disappear. Didn’t want to have drama like I’ve heard from a few friends that had issues with people on once in a lifetime tag. It was a once in a lifetime tag. So I wanted to kill the best one I could find. I wasn’t just wanting to go out and kill any moose.

I will say that I enjoy the stress and the pressure of bowhunting. I’ve always said if I didn’t want stress and pressure I’d just play video games instead of bowhunt. Ha

You've got the blood of the reaper flowing through your veins. Was there really a point in those hunts that you thought you weren't going to be successful?

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Who has drawn a great low odds limited tag or a once in lifetime tag?

After the initial excitement of actually drawing the tag did you feel any additional pressure of drawing that tag?

Others expectations adding additional pressure to you, you adding pressure to yourself for nearly the same reasons.

For example knowing you'll likely never draw it again or everyone just assuming since you drew that you'll kill a monster.

Just trying to get others perspective on this for a podcast I'm working on.
Kind of depends.
Used 16 preference points on a tag and put a huge amount of pressure of myself. Really ratcheted up the preparation for the hunt and was in great shape and knew the unit very well (scouting from a distance) but all I felt was the pressure before and during the hunt, to the point it was exceptionally stressful. The end result was great but man, that was rough.

Drew a random odds tag, unexpectedly of course, in a no-points state. The unexpected nature of the tag resulted in a much more enjoyable hunt. Didn’t have 16 years worth of anxiety or pressure built up. A much different experience for sure!

Low single odds for drawing either tag.

You don’t want to miss a reasonable shot on a legal animal on a Big 3 tag and hunt. Similar to free throws in the final seconds of a playoff basketball game or a field goal attempt with 2 seconds on the clock in a football playoff game.

Screwing up a general whitetail hunt, cow elk hunt, or pronghorn hunt, ain’t no big deal. Just so few chances anymore on the Big 3. Happy Hunting and Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

What about not just the pressure from a special tag but the phenomenon of being "owed" a special animal because of cashing in 20+ points.
Or is that just a Utah thing?

FlyGuy

WKR
I felt it. In 2018 I drew an Idaho Moose tag the very first time I applied there. As a TX resident, I knew that would likely be my only chance to hunt moose in the lower 48 in my lifetime, and the tag cost ($2200 if I recall correctly) was immensely more than I’d ever paid for anything else. I had 2 weeks to hunt, which seemed like more than enough time so I really wasn’t concerned , but I knew I couldn’t come back later in the season if I didn’t get it done.

I didn’t feel much pressure going into the hunt, but it grew with each passing day. At first, it feels like you have all the time in the world, but it gradually slips away. I did 5 days solo before my two buddies showed up to help. We scoured the unit and talked to every Hunter we ran into, who were all willing to help, but we couldn’t locate anything. I went 9 days without even seeing a moose, bull or cow, and by then I was not having a good time. After drawing (essentially) an OIL tag and blowing ~ $5k in tags, flights, rental car, etc; my nightmare scenario- coming home without even laying eyes on a moose - seemed to be coming true. I was STRESSED. I was very, very stressed. On day 10, when I was finally able to put an arrow through a good, representative bull, I felt absolute relief. I was excited and I was happy, but more than anything I will always remember that feeling of relief washing over me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tmac

WKR
Who has drawn a great low odds limited tag or a once in lifetime tag?

After the initial excitement of actually drawing the tag did you feel any additional pressure of drawing that tag?

Others expectations adding additional pressure to you, you adding pressure to yourself for nearly the same reasons.

For example knowing you'll likely never draw it again or everyone just assuming since you drew that you'll kill a monster.

Just trying to get others perspective on this for a podcast I'm working on.
Drawn several.

No added pressure felt, mostly just extra preparation and anticipation.

WRO

WKR
I’ve had enough really to draw hard random tags that I can tell you, just enjoy your hunt. I drew an elk tag that I waited 21 years to draw, scouted 3 seasons for, and it’s my absolute worst favorite hunting memory. Yes I had some great friends there, but it turned into being about a number instead of just being about fun. I drew an oil moose tag last year, killed a great one and even though it was stressful, great hunt.

My wife drew oil sheep, one of my greatest hunting memories. In fact all the ones I’ve helped on are more fun than the ones that I’ve had a tag in my pocket on.

Focus on the exeperience and just have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I haven't drawn a limited entry tag, but my daughter has and two of my friends. I served as the guide for the hunts. All were successful.

My daughter's was a late season blacktail hunt. She killed an average buck that she was thrilled with. It was a great hunt.

Both of my buddies' tags were rifle elk hunts in the rut.

I don't recall feeling "pressure'. It was more excitement. My friends were not experienced elk hunters and became frustrated when animals didn't show. But then they did...like always .

As far as added pressure from others, I'm not hunting for them or to brag or boast. I will share here and on IG with the very few people that follow me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Super tag

WKR
I drew the Idaho Super tag for deer and for elk separately in the 2021 season, it took me a while to wrap my mind around what I had, I never really got too stressed out, I don’t really care if I harvest an animal, I’ve let many trophies walk. Being in the field is all I need. I spent 45 days straight in the field hunting deer and elk, by the time I was finished I had harvested a giant 7X7 bull on a super cool hunt, and seen many, many really nice deer. I did feel some pressure on the deer, because of the expectations of others, not my own. I passed on a lot of super nice bucks, each day was full of more adrenalin, it’s addicting.

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you think there's a lot of pressure with your OIL tag....try having it be your 9yr old kids. My son drew a nonresident youth ibex tag last year with less then 1% odds. That was the most stressful thing I've ever done. The pressure to make the hunt successful for him was way more then i expected going into the hunt. My son was absolutely amazing during the trip and hung in like a champ until we were able to connect on day 10.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drawn several.

No added pressure felt, mostly just extra preparation and anticipation.
Do you think they didn't have pressure because each time got easier?

What about the first one? Same as the last or you just don't really remember?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Best tag I’ve drawn was a 9 point tag, I felt a lot of pressure. Most of it was likely on me. I had a few friends that were excited and I thought maybe pressuring.

Over the summer as it was a drought and lots of fires I decided if I shot a good 6 point that I would be pleased. Told my self if it was 350 I’d mount him.

I put a lot of pressure on myself and passed some nice bulls in archery because I wanted that 360 plus. When rifle came around I went back to the 6 point rule(unit is known for great 7 points or heavy 6s) after first weekend and no great luck and seeing bulls go to private I thought that was good rule. Tuesday after opener it rained so I took off south to the area I’ve been watching, found a bull, found another bull, then noticed one big one just over a berm, I laid on him for 2.5 hours watching small 6s stand and bed back up. Knew he would soon. 30 minutes later and soaked he shook his head, stood up and I got him. Has a broken 4th but great inline 7x7. 349 6/8 with a 19.5” tip to tip. He’s cool and I almost love that I killed him solo.

Everything for me was head games! No one puts pressure on you, it’s your tag and shoot what makes you happy.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think there may be a difference between drawing a OIL tag and scheduling/buying a OIL hunt on your own timeline. One you do whenever you choose on your terms, so you can prepare and plan and save. The other gets tossed in your lap somewhat.

Drawn two very rare tags. Essentially OIL tags. I never felt any pressure applying or waiting for any tag. Sitting around buyin points is easy. Once drawn its an “oh crap” moment. Its unexpected. Its like getting a big promotion or new job. I asked for it but I also didn't really think it would happen.

You cant train every day for 12-25yrs on a hope maybe one of these years you get that OIL tag. Now suddenly you’ve got 3-5 months to do exactly that. You’ve gotta scout or hire outfitter. You’ve got to learn an area, learn a species habits, learn how to field judge that species. All of it in a few short months.

Ive spent 35 years learning about deer, elk, bear, birds, fish. Learning how they live, where and when to find them. Think of all that knowledge amassed. Now youve gotta hunt a new species and hope to create a fraction of that knowledge in a fraction of that time so you can go out and be successful at harvesting. Its overwhelming. It can be consuming. It can be unhealthy at times.

I’ve had 2 OIL tags and one this year coming up that is almost an OIL tag. I don’t feel any added pressure to shoot something big. People are asking me now if I’m going to hold out for a monster bull. I just say that I hope to get a respectable bull but I will be happy to just get an elk. Which is true for me. I’m not one to hold out for something big or even to hunt hard to find “the one”. I hunt my speed till I get the opportunity to shoot whatever species I’m hunting. I don’t mount anything anymore, not even euro’s. Big antlers are cool and all but I just really enjoy the hunt and all the ups and downs with it. The only pressure I may feel is just the normal pressure of hoping to fill the freezer.

Rich M

WKR
This year's hunt is OIL for me - hunting permit for 3 old buddies - gonna be a good time if we draw, we should. Worthy of a OIL, IMO anyway. Extra stress - no. More of a relief and something fun to look forward to, worthy of pulling out of the memory box in 20 years.

Last year I ended up with a pretty last minute mule deer tag that is definitely once in a lifetime. The excitement wore off pretty quick and it was incredibly stressful figuring out the logistics, trying to find a guide, selling a gun or two to afford one…

When the hunt came I was able to chill out and enjoy the “gift” for what it was. My odds of having that tag were close to zero and I’d never be able to hunt the unit again. I was settled in for a long haul and ended up killing the buck in my sig in the first 24 hours. I almost passed him, not wanting to end the hunt so early and also not having seen a 190” typical on the hoof he was not easy to field judge at 20 yards staring me down! Had some major doubts when I pulled the trigger that I couldn’t shake until I actually measured him and realized how stinking lucky I was.

13BF94F9-8EA6-47BA-BC9A-340C1490535F.jpeg1C1B8A98-9BD5-4907-BB36-2CDAA5752085.jpegCD771BE7-67C6-468D-B3FB-756156C2F61D.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thanks Mike
I will say yours is likely the exception to how most feel. I do agree drawing some tags can be more difficult than filling them, so maybe that mindset alleviates most of the pressure?
For Justin, I can see that kind of pressure when he was trying to complete his CO Slam. It kind of boils down to goals IMO. I've killed a lot of animals over my lifetime, and I think age has something to do with it as well. I'm just at that point in my life where I don't have to kill something to really really enjoy the experience. Kind of like the photographer in the movie 'Secret Life of Walter Mitty'.......he travels all the way to Afghanistan to capture the snow leopard on film and then when he gets one through his lens......he doesn't even take the picture because he loves "the moment" so much.

Don't get me wrong......I'm definitely taking the shot, but my "moment" is the whole experience. There's just something about bow hunting that really captures that "whole experience" for me. There was one time I was taking a picture and my buddy whispers over "Hey, Mike......there's a bull"! And I replied "Ya, ya.....after I get this pic". And I did shoot that bull a couple minutes later.

Tmac

WKR
Do you think they didn't have pressure because each time got easier?

What about the first one? Same as the last or you just don't really remember?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
No. Similar feelings for each one. I sure I get excited about the hunt, but just don’t put pressure on myself for any particular outcome. If I draw in AZ for Mule Deer this year with max points, that will be a good test for pressure lol.