Drew an interesting tag - could use some advice (CO unit 140)

Hnthrdr

WKR
I thought so too. Like I said, not a giant but good enough for me, especially considering what I had been seeing over 20+ miles for three straight days. I glassed from ridgetops for probably 5-6 hours/day too.

I'm sure there were better deer in there but they had too many places to hide. I felt like a needle in a haystack in that place! Weird feeling to be honest.
Looks like prime muley country! I thought for sure you would find a real monster down there, congrats on your buck. That’s tough hiking in and out every day pretty limiting, did you bump into the elk hunters any? Wonder how they did

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
Looks like prime muley country! I thought for sure you would find a real monster down there, congrats on your unit. That’s tough hiking in and out every day pretty limiting, did you bump into the elk hunters any? Wonder how they did
I feel like I'm letting down the forum. LOL

Yea, I was kinda waiting at any moment for a real stud to step out. And I saw thousands of acres in those first three days. Kinda wore myself out looking tbh. Never saw anything that was bigger than what I already had on the wall in my garage (a modest 4x4) so when this one stepped out and I saw his gut, I started doing calculations in my head about how much easier it would be to get him back to the truck than if I had shot one two miles in. I know that sounds bad to true trophy hunters but as I said from the onset, I'm not that guy, and I was alone and my feet hurt. LOL

And it was apparent the small bucks were still in batchelor groups. Only saw one nervous doe out of nearly 30 deer and I'm not even sure it was a buck that was making her nervous. The snow was probably helping the rut but it clearly hadn't started yet where I was.

Never saw the alleged elk hunters. I figured they would be parked there every morning with horse trailers but I never saw another soul. Not sure why. Maybe they couldn't make opening weekend and were coming later? I don't know. Sure was nice (and a bit weird) having the whole place to myself.

congrats on your buck! i know you and everyone else wanted you to get a monster but things pile up in your mind after the first couple days of not seeing big ones. i know the feeling of getting gassed physically the first day, seeing one in an easy spot to get out, etc. the freezer is full so all is well! enjoyed the ride here

OP
Newtosavage
congrats on your buck! i know you and everyone else wanted you to get a monster but things pile up in your mind after the first couple days of not seeing big ones. i know the feeling of getting gassed physically the first day, seeing one in an easy spot to get out, etc. the freezer is full so all is well! enjoyed the ride here
Thanks. 1st backstrap steaks were damn good! :D

Wasn't in the right place physically or mentally for a trophy hunt, but I will be someday. I found myself just enjoying the solitude on Monday (day 3) and did a fair amount of bird watching as there were a lot more birds in this area than what I'm used to higher up in NW Colorado.

Easy to imagine when you're all alone in a place like this what it might have been like 500 years ago. Mixed Ponderosa and P/J and a little Aspen up high with lots of oak brush scattered made for a cool area to hike through. Much more diverse than the country I've hunted in the past.