Drew an interesting tag - could use some advice (CO unit 140)

This year, I figured I'd try to grab a leftover tag off the CO list for muleys, as I've had pretty good luck doing that in the past. Well, like most folks I was disappointed as I watched my top 8 tags all get snagged before my little green man stopped walking. Deliberating what to do, I saw that unit 140 had a little bit of public land and had some tags left for 3rd rifle. Knowing nothing about the unit other than what I see from I-25 when I drove over Raton pass, I went ahead and grabbed one of the 40 or so tags left while they were still available, and figured I'd sort out later whether I'd use it or return it for a refund.

In my research I discovered that one of the SWA's was draw only and the draw deadline had passed (I guess they didn't want to include leftover tag holders in that draw?). The other adjacent SWA was archery only, even during the 3rd rifle season. I was fine with that since I've bowhunted most of my life, so I figured if nothing else I'd take my chances with the bowhunting crowd, or just return my license for a refund.

THEN, I saw that the new Fisher's peak state park (19k ac.) had an open drawing for ONE mule deer hunter and that you had to have a unit 140 tag in your possession to draw. So, despite having some of the worst luck drawing of anyone I know, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try since it was free. So I put in for the state park draw, entirely expecting to get an email in a few weeks telling me I wasn't drawn.

Sure enough, I got that email and thanked the park manager for letting me know I wasn't drawn so quickly. By then I had decided I wasn't interested in fighting a crowd of bowhunters, so a few days later I filled out my refund form and dropped the form and my unit 140 tag in the mail to CPW. I didn't give it a second thought until four days later, I got another email from the park manager saying they weren't able to contact the first person who was drawn, so they re-drew and my name came up!!! I was like, holy crap - I just mailed my tag back for a refund!!! So you can imagine the mad scramble that ensued. I was able to contact a customer service rep with CPW and told him of my predicament. He was great, and he worked very quickly to find my returned tag. He notified me they would mail it back to me, and I told the park manager I was good to go. My tag arrived back to me a few days ago, and I got an email from the park manager with information about the hunt.

The up side is that I'll be only one of 4 hunters (the other three will be hunting elk) on the 19,000 acre area, and I'll be the first mule deer rifle hunter allowed on the place since it was a private ranch (the Crazy French ranch). The down side is that they won't allow camping on site, and that all of us hunters will be starting every day at the same parking spot. No ATV's/UTV's allowed (not that I would bring one anyway), so that's both a plus and a minus since unless the other hunters have horses, we'll all be walking in together. For me, this will take most of the area out of play as I don't plan to hike more than a few miles uphill every morning to begin hunting. They also require that we are out of the hunt area "shortly after sunset" each day.

My questions are these - 1) where would be the best place to camp near exit 2 on I-25? The only place I see is the state park to the northwest of there and I think they charge like $28/night just for a site without water. That doesn't sound too appealing. 2) I'm not a trophy hunter, but this could very well be the best opportunity I'll ever have to take a mature mule deer buck, and I'll admit I wouldn't mind having ONE good set of antlers to hang over my fireplace someday. What would you expect quality-wise in that area and what would you think is reasonable to hold out for? Again, I doubt I'll be able to get very far from the parking area on foot each day, so I may just have to take what I can get, and I'm totally okay with that too. 3) any other advice would be welcome. As I said, I'll be the very first rifle mule deer hunter ever allowed on this new state park, so I consider it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
Very kool! Once in a lifetime opportunity for sure.

Did you ask the park guy where they see all the mule deer and where you should start your hunt? Then find out if there is a biologist who works the area - he'd be a great source of intel too.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Very kool! Once in a lifetime opportunity for sure.

Did you ask the park guy where they see all the mule deer and where you should start your hunt? Then find out if there is a biologist who works the area - he'd be a great source of intel too.
It's the park woman, and I haven't asked her yet. Figured I would eventually but she has plenty of stuff on her plate at the moment and doesn't need to add hunting guide to that list I'm sure. :D

Since we'll all be starting at the same parking area, there are only so many questions to ask really. If we had our choice of gates to access, that would be different. I'd have some decisions to make then. LOL

Talking to the area CPW bio is a good idea. I'm not above shooting a yard buck that hangs around the headquarters either! :D

sndmn11

WKR
See if you can get contact info for the elk hunters, and plan off of their plans to be around sneaky escapes that you can hike to.

3rd season is a lot of days, I'd not take my rifle in the field for the first day or two to see what I can turn up. I'd expect that to be. 140"+ buck.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
See if you can get contact info for the elk hunters, and plan off of their plans to be around sneaky escapes that you can hike to.

3rd season is a lot of days, I'd not take my rifle in the field for the first day or two to see what I can turn up. I'd expect that to be. 140"+ buck.
I figure there will be plenty of info shared among us, especially since I have the only mule deer tag and they only have elk tags. Was planning to try and coordinate with them the first day so we at least don't get in one another's way.

Interesting idea to go without a rifle the first day or two. Can you explain that reasoning? I'm not getting it.

Laramie

WKR
If I'm reading correctly, no deer have been harvested there since 2018 as it was purchased by the state in early 2019. There should be quite a few 4+ year old bucks so I would definitely hold out for a quality deer- my minimum in that situation would be 180"+. Be patient...

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
If I'm reading correctly, no deer have been harvested there since 2018 as it was purchased by the state in early 2019. There should be quite a few 4+ year old bucks so I would definitely hold out for a quality deer- my minimum in that situation would be 180"+. Be patient...
I was thinking the same way - should be some dandy 4+ year old bucks in there. I'd love a chance at one. I have zero interest in antlers until someone starts talking about mule deer, for whatever odd reason. I still don't care enough about them to pay big $, but for some reason I really admire mule deer antlers. They just look cool to me.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Anyone ever camp at Trinidad Lake SP? That south shore campground looks like it's less than 2 mi. from the Super Wal-Mart. I'd be concerned about highway noise, theft and late night drinkers coming through.

sndmn11

WKR
Interesting idea to go without a rifle the first day or two. Can you explain that reasoning? I'm not getting it.

1) it hasn't been hunted
2) you are the only muley hunter
3) you'll have (presumably) eyes and ears info from the other hunters
4) you like mule deer antlers
5) I believe the habitat is well suited for mule deer growth and for glassing
6) you haven't scouted

Leaving the rifle at the truck allows you to leave the kill kit. Your load is lightened and you take glass and a tripod instead. Treat the season like you are scouting for THE buck. Watch him, see where his hood is, make sure you like him, then go back the next day and kill him. If you have the time, don't be the guy who has a golden opportunity to have oodles of acreage to himself and is done on day one with, "I'm sure I could have found bigger, BUT...". Go out there and KNOW you couldn't have found bigger/prettier/heavier/wider/trashier/etc or whatever other traits you like.

What a cool opportunity!

OP
Newtosavage
1) it hasn't been hunted
2) you are the only muley hunter
3) you'll have (presumably) eyes and ears info from the other hunters
4) you like mule deer antlers
5) I believe the habitat is well suited for mule deer growth and for glassing
6) you haven't scouted

Leaving the rifle at the truck allows you to leave the kill kit. Your load is lightened and you take glass and a tripod instead. Treat the season like you are scouting for THE buck. Watch him, see where his hood is, make sure you like him, then go back the next day and kill him. If you have the time, don't be the guy who has a golden opportunity to have oodles of acreage to himself and is done on day one with, "I'm sure I could have found bigger, BUT...". Go out there and KNOW you couldn't have found bigger/prettier/heavier/wider/trashier/etc or whatever other traits you like.

What a cool opportunity!
Gotcha. Thanks.

It is a cool opportunity. I suspect once the guns start going off, the critters may get a little wiser and future hunts might be a bit more challenging.

Any info on Trinidad SP would be welcome. I'm about to reserve a site there for the duration of the hunt, just so I know I have a spot secured. I can always cancel it if I find somewhere free to camp nearby, but I don't see much public land that's a reasonable distance and location from the pass.

Yes, I drew a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for free, and still want a free place to camp. I'm that guy. :D

Laramie

WKR
Gotcha. Thanks.

It is a cool opportunity. I suspect once the guns start going off, the critters may get a little wiser and future hunts might be a bit more challenging.

Any info on Trinidad SP would be welcome. I'm about to reserve a site there for the duration of the hunt, just so I know I have a spot secured. I can always cancel it if I find somewhere free to camp nearby, but I don't see much public land that's a reasonable distance and location from the pass.

Yes, I drew a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for free, and still want a free place to camp. I'm that guy. :D
Call the woman- betting she can help you with a place to camp as well. Maybe even the parking lot where you hike in?

OP
Newtosavage
Man, I have zero tips, but I am excited for you - what a way to get into a super limited tag/hunt area ha! Can't wait to see pics of a monster!
That's IF this meat hunter can hold out for a monster. :D I am really looking forward to seeing what's running around the place. I'm afraid I may have built it up in my head too much already. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
I camp with the kids at the reservoir and shed hunt west of there. We get along well camping there. Never had any problems.
Thanks. The South shore camps looked a bit sketch to me. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my camp unattended all day there. So I reserved a site at the main campground. Cost a bit more and a bit further but the peace of mind will be worth it. Maybe in the meantime I can find another alternative but it's good to know I have a good campsite held. Dang showers too. That will be weird. LOL

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
You made the right call on the campsite. The main area is nice for what it is and seems to be safe. I don’t like camping around other people but have had no problems there.