Accubond longe range accuracy issues 30-06 190gr

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone,

So I made up some hand loads ranging from min charge to max charge. The barrel is a proof carbon 30-06. This gun usually shoots .5 moa with other bullets. The groupings with this bullet was terrible best was 1 moa with about half way up the charge scale. I seated the bullets .020” off the lands. Wondering if I should keep working back further off the lands and If so what increments should I work in?

It also shot 200gr ELDx under .5 moa. I have read mixed reviews on this bullet so wanted the accubond. Is it worth wasting time on the ABLR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry35

WKR
The ABLR often likes to be seated really deep often .100 or even deeper. I don't have experience with your exact combo but have used them in other rounds. Just keep seating deeper until it tightens up for you.

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
I was curious I think that they have two way different ogives the ablr being closer to the original bergers that like to be close

Dennis

WKR
Not sure about 190 grain long range Accubonds. I have been working with my 30-06 this spring and getting great accuracy with 178 grain Hornady ELD-X and even better accuracy in Barnes 180 grain Tipped Triple Shock X (TTSX). Thought you might be interested. Same point of impact and same powder charge. Plan to use ELD-X for practice and plan to hunt with the TTSX.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Long range ab's can be finicky. As others said, I wouldn't waste too many components trying to make something magic happen. I would shoot a couple small samples at .060" and .100" off the lands at a mild charge and see if anything looks promising. If it does, test a larger sample size. If nothing is acceptable, ditch it.

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
I just measured my 308 win 168 ablr load and it is roughly .055 off and it is a lot closer to 1/2'' than 1'' if not better for three at 100 yds

Last edited:

tater

WKR
The 190ABLR is all i use in my 30-06. No jump to the lands, and it is a tackdriver.
I will admit that it is highly likely i just got lucky with my load/rifle combo and it doesn't reflect my truly mediocre skill.

it's very unlikely that a seating change will tighten the groups up as much as you're looking to. Powder change maybe, but more likely you just need to use a different bullet.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never had any trouble getting an ABLR to shoot accurately. Actually, I’ve never had any trouble getting any bullet I wanted to use to shoot accurately.

Wrench

WKR
I spoke with the ballistician at nosler over this a few years ago when I couldn't get freshly reamed rifles to shoot them at all.

They explained that their jacket is different on the lrab and it does not play well with sharp barrels. The lrab slugs up in the leade and has inconsistent dwell times causing wild pressure spreads.

This explains why they respond to deep seating in some cases. They also seem to work with a jam.

We found lee factory crimp helps as does faster powders.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve never had any trouble getting an ABLR to shoot accurately. Actually, I’ve never had any trouble getting any bullet I wanted to use to shoot accurately.
Same. Book loads with the 190g ablr delivered great results for me.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Well I loaded up some more ABLR. I went in increments from .020” off the lands till .080” and didn’t see any increase the groups tightening up. How far does everyone keep going off the lands? Or should I just ditch it and shoot ELDX bullets which shoot could but have heard a lot of mixed reviews on them with large animals. I have shot a lot of moose and elk with the regular accubonds and loved there performance. Can’t find any bullets locally besides the eldx and Barnes ttsx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk